1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Wave Opinions

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by mtngoat, Nov 5, 2007.

1. FlipMag

FlipMag Guest

100% Worth it. A few talked about how it is too big for pocket carry, I bought the optional pocket clip for it and it rides nicely in a pocket of a pair of shorts...

2. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

I also have the original version and love to flick it open ala balisong. It helps curb the appetite for flipping out a real balisong when I'm in public. The Wave is a fine tool, just right for edc or carry in you backpack or briefcase. I tend not to use it as hard as my old SOG Powelock, but I don't hesitate using it for the light to medium tasks that are required in a days work. The one handed operation for the blade is also a plus!

3. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had the original wave for about four years. In that time I broke the serrated blade (tried to use it as a prybar, not recommended) and the large screwdriver (dropped twenty feet to a concrete floor and chipped the blade). I used it everyday at work and carried it everyday I was not at work. It was heavy at first, but, did not take long to forget about the heft on my belt. About 6 months ago I sent it in to get the knife and screwdriver replaced. When it came back it had been replaced with the updated model.

Some high points for me: I prefer the scissors on the original as they are bigger and easier to use; I like the lockable tools on the new model; both models have a rolled edge that makes using the pliers safe and comfortable to use; the two blades on the outside of both models can be opeded with winter gloves on (a must for me as half of my time at work is spent outside).

Some low points for me: The scissors on the new model suck (you have to be careful when opening them so that you do not cut yourself).

My ultimate model for the wave would be to replace the serrated blade on the outside with a larger pair of scissors as I use the plain knife and scissors the most.

One final word about customer service, there is no way that LM should have replaced my serrated blade for me. I used it as a prybar (not intended use), and even let them know this prior to sending it in. They not only replaced it, but, they gave me a shiny new model in its stead. A company that stands behind its product, even when carlessly used, is worth its weight in gold.

4. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

5. Samwise592

Samwise592 Loaded Pockets

For all of those who say it's too big for pocket carry... use a the pocket clip! best $5 i could have spent on the thing.
    I don't even notice i carry it anymore.

6. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Pocket clips have changed my life (well, almost ;) ). Not only does it make my Charge (basically a fancy Wave) totally pocketable, it works the same magic on a Surge. The only time I use a belt sheath anymore is if I am packing with the bit kit and extender outfit. This accessory is one of the best innovations in EDC, ever. :woohoo:

7. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

I had the Wave and New Wave. In fact, I think I've had 5 different models of Leatherman since their inception. My current primary model (I've successfully sold or gifted older models) is the Charge TTi, essentially a "fancy" New Wave. I cannot be happier with the Leatherman products, high quality workmanship, practical, useful tools that are well designed and placed, and best of all, a guarantee warranty and outstanding customer service like I've never encountered before in any company (I wish others would stand behind their products so generously). Leatherman also listens to their customers and responds to suggestions and customer requests. I like to think that I (and other customers) have had a hand in designing the TTi because I submitted many improvement suggestions which they included in the TTi. I have other brand multi-tools (Gerber, Victorinox, SOG) which I've accumulated and used through the years, but nothing beats the design of the LM Wave series IMO. They dropped all the impractical B.S. tools found on earlier models (and still found on other brands tools), kept all the good ones upgrading them and making them all locking, and even made it highly adaptible (with the bit kit).

The locking ONE-HAND OPENING serrated knife blade with the gutting/seatbelt hook is the best feature which sets the LM apart.

8. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

Yip

I threw that sumb@#ch as far as I could then grabbed me a sledge hammer and smashed it to bits.

Problem I see with the Gerber is when torquing the pliers the handle will close on your hand.

As far as too heavy. It is a little heavy but thats all relative to its sturdiness.