1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Wave Blade swap from a Charge XTi

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Codeman, May 1, 2006.

1. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried replacing the original Wave's knife blades with those from a Charge XTi?

I bought a Charge XTi this weekend and I can't decide whether to keep it or return it.  I definitely like the Wave better, mainly because I have a bit tool adapter for it and it isues standard bits.  I really don't care for the specialty bits of the Charge.  BUt, I wish it had the gut hook on the serrated blade and of course the 154CM plain edge.

I do have some 6-lob security torx bits, so that's not a problem.  I'm just a bit concerned that if I try the swap and it doesn't work I might end up having to keep the Charge.

If anyone's tried this, was a simple swap, or were modifications necessary?

TIA!

2. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I am planning on "merging" my XTi and Ti eventually, that is if I can find a five lobe security torx bit.  The newer ones are supposed to have the six lobe screws.  My XTi I'm planning on using does but for some reason, the Ti I want to use has both five and six lobe screws.   :mad:  I have a couple others but those all have the five lobe screws.   >:D 

So, I must continue my search for the five lobe security drivers.   :idiot2:

I hope you have better luck than I.

3. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

4. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Aw, crap. the new XTi has 6 lob screws, but my Wave has 5 lob. But it looks like a TS10, the smallest in the set that stillphoto linked to, may work.

Hmmm....

5. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I've ordered a set of the 5-lob torx bits from the link. Thanks stillphoto!

6. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

Ray , I use my old wave tool adapter with the charge Ti , it works ok . I keep the specialty bits as a reserve .

Chris

7. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Let us know how the transaction goes.

8. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

No problem, I always enjoy finding what people are searching for when it comes to random things like this. :idiot2:

9. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I've posted a mini-review of this and another set of security bits in Sources for Torx Security Bits.