1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Wave add-on bits

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by tsdguy, Mar 30, 2007.

1. tsdguy

tsdguy Empty Pockets

I just picked up the Leatherman Wave bit kit. Wondering if anyone else has also? I'm wondering what the popular bits will be.

I have to say I was disappointed with some aspects of the bits. On the good side, the bits are good quality and bite well into the fasteners. However, I'm not sure they asked anyone for their opinion on how the bits would be used. The bit that comes with the wave has slot/Phillips but all of the add-on bits have the same type of driver on both side? Why wouldn't they design these also with slot/Phillips combinations? Also, like everyone else they stop a #10 Torx? Why don't they go lower - I have a hundred gadgets that need #5 and #6 Torx. Lastly, why didn't they include the security Torx that the Wave uses to on the pivot pins so you can take the Wave apart?

I'm wondering if anyone has the leather Wave holster? Where can I put any bits in that holster to take along? Thanks.

2. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Welcome to EDCF, tsdguy!! I have the kit too, and keep it in my truck's glovebox. I have gone out twice for it at work as the shop I supervise is hurting for square and torx bits. I agree Leatherman could have included some single-ended, larger bits, but whether the holder would be up to the torque could be an issue. :shrug:

Larry

3. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about getting the bit set. Would you recommend it for the money?

4. kmcrawford111

kmcrawford111 Empty Pockets

It's a great set if you want to carry special bits in a light, small package. This works well for someone like me, a field tech, where it's beneficial to carry small and light. Instead of carrying two sets of allen wrenches, I can often carry just one bit carrier with the 9 double-ended bits and as as far as I can recall they have covered all the sizes I've ever needed to use. Of course it has its limitation, the limited clearance, but IMO it's still very much worth owning. Besides the allen bits my favorite is the #0/#3 Phillips which complements the tool's built-in Phillips nicely.

5. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

There is a pocket in that holster for the bits. The elastic behind the tool is the size of the bit cards. The downside is that there is really only enough room to take one card with you at a time. It also makes for a very tight fit, especially if you have anything in the side pockets. I have a Fenix L0D in mine, so I don't carry my bits in the holster as it makes it too tight. Instead they ride with my cell phone.

6. Glock19

Glock19 Loaded Pockets

Hmmmmm, I have the bit kit (one sleeve) in the back pocket, Fisher Bullet pen in one side pocket, PeakLED AAA light in the other side pocket, and the Wave in the main pocket. While it's snug everything fits in easily and I can still pull any of the items out and put them back in with one hand. What I love about these holsters is that I only have to slide one thing on my belt and I have my multi-tool, bits, flashlight, and pen, all in one unit.

My only complaint is that the lock releases on the new Wave wear through the elastic material on the inside of the side pockets pretty quickly. I've already replaced one holster because it had worn through. Good thing the holsters are cheap!

7. T-Mo

T-Mo Loaded Pockets

For the smaller bits like t6/t5 etc, i just ground down some normal 1/4" bits on the side of a grinding wheel. was fiddly and not a fantastic result but they work. will try and post a photo later.
    Also its not a security torx that's used on the wave, it's a five point. i've been unable to track any down so far.

8. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

Please let us know if you find any.

9. T-Mo

T-Mo Loaded Pockets

Slightly off topic but be careful when applying a high load using the bit holder, I unfolded mine yeasterday to get more leverage and shattered the bit holder, got hit in the eye with part and spend the afternoon at A&E getting my split contact lens removed and told i also had a cut on the white of my eye(NOT FUN). Completely my fault but being doing it for years without any problems. Worst bit was I lost the bit I use most so will need to buy a full new set.

10. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman may sell one to you if you contact them directly. Also someone here on EDCF may not ever use that same bit and could give/sell you theirs. Which bit was it?

11. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

That is why I said it was a tight fit. If you don't fill the side pockets the elastic doesn't wear near as quickly. I have only one side pocket filled along with the bits in the back pocket. The elastic on mine is showing only minimal wear after 1 1/2 years of use.

12. T-Mo

T-Mo Loaded Pockets

Was 5/6mm bit also noticed i was missing another.
    Went out today and bought a new bit kit "Just for the sake of it" . Will be offering old bit's out soon along with carriers and either leather or nylon pouch (depending on which one i decide to keep) as individual bits to allow others to replace any one's they have lost.
    Unfortunately it will be UK only as I dont mind paying the postage for uk but too much hassle trying to find out postage rates for elsewhere in the world and then finding out its cheaper/easier to buy direct from leatherman

Also found this http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=708.0 which mentions 5 point security torx bits

13. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I did the same thing for my skeletool, because my job requires a t20 security bit. It worked really well.

14. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

You can get the 5-point security torx bits here.

15. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I think they do a good job with what they can. Its a multitool... you aren't going to build a house with something on your belt. Keep an additional kit in a bag or vehicle.