1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman vs Victorinox

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by A.B., Sep 30, 2018.

1. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Compromise: agreed.
    15kg toolbox: nope.

My "toolbox" (instead of a MT) weights 359 gram (12,6 ounce) and consists of:
    • KNIPEX Cobra Mini pliers
    • KNIPEX TwinKey Sillcock key (holds bits too)
    • 16 most common 1/4" bits
    • bit extender

Yep, there is no blade (because I've got a dedicated folding knife), no wood or metal saw (never had to use one, yet) or wire cutter with replaceable blades (still looking for good option!).

A Victorinox Swiss Tool is also around 250-300 gram - so a MT is not the only option even if one wants to stay within a similar weight/size range :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:

2. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

This is my point, yes you have a tool kit. That is different to a multi tool. Far better in some ways, far worse in others.

Add, say a Kabar Dozier (a very lightweight knife), to your setup and you're up to a weight of about 430 grams. And you're still lacking a wire cutter and (perhaps less importantly, but perhaps not) needle nose pliers.

Meanwhile the Leatherman Wave (for example) has all that, at a weight of about 280 grams (with a strip of the bit kit). Yes, it performs a lot worse in some situations. But it also performs a lot better in others. This is my point, dedicated tools are better than any multi tool but they are not always the best choice due to their weight, size and lack of versatility.

I have the Knipex Cobra 125, the Knipex pliers wrench and the Vise-grip mini in my bag. They are fantastic tools that I've used a lot during the last year since I spend a significant portion of my life away from home, living in hostels and in various apartments with their own challenges. But they are not a replacement for my Leatherman Sideclip or the Skeletool (and vice versa).

I don't care what you carry, I assume you carry what you carry due to your specific needs and restrictions and I have no opinions on what you or anyone else carry. I'm however greatly opposed to the "dedicated tools are better" crowd, because they are simply wrong.

What do you mean? A Swiss tool is a multi tool. It is part of the same category as a Leatherman or a Gerber.

znapschatz and A.B. like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Dedicated tools ARE better. However, a MT might be a better OPTION if weight and space are a problem.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

4. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Better at a certain task doesn't mean better overall. It doesn't even mean it's a better choice since having it available means you might need to carry it for 2 miles, or 20. Or carry it every day just in case you need it. Which is the problem with saying "dedicated tools are better, therefore I carry that". Of course dedicated tools are better for the task they are made for, if they're not they wouldn't be dedicated tools.

Your argument can just as easily be reversed: Multi tools ARE better because they can easily be carried everywhere and they do more than one thing. A wrench is a better OPTION when you need to do a specific task.

If I needed a wrench everyday I would carry one, I don't and therefore I carry a multi tool (which isn't really true, I don't always carry one).

znapschatz and A.B. like this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Just mentioning the Swisstool as it is comparable in weight to my dedicated tools. Should have made two sentences out of it to avoid confusion.

Okay, I've got it: you are pro MTs - i guess because you favor the easier care-ability vs. the (sometimes) limited capabilities. I'm quite the opposite: when I needed tools a MT could sometimes do the job but most of my tasks require(d) separate functions (= not combined into one thing).

Side note: I do carry a kind of a MT with my Victorinox Manager. It is this one thing with several functions in a very tiny package, but still capable for 95% of the "I don't want to get my small or large toolkit" tasks. As you can see I'm not against MTs :skip: but favor for certain things other ways to deal with it.

Let's keep it friendly: there is no best way for everyone, just pros/cons based on experience, needs and some other factors that make MTs or dedicated (small) tools favorable.

BTW: Can you mention/recommend a (multi?) tool that has needle nose pliers, replaceable wire cutter blades, a wood & metal saw, no knife, no scissors, and no screwdrivers/bit driver? This sounds like a "half MT" :D - basically everything except dealing with screws.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Oct 15, 2018
    #25 FiaOlleDog, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  6. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Of course there's no best way for everyone, there's not even a best way every time. I have access to a near literal ton of high quality tools (wood working, metal working, mechanic, general tools) thanks to my father, but they're not with me. If I know I'm going to do something that requires tools I will bring the proper ones, but fortunately my life isn't generally that predictable. I'm currently 200 miles away from home, in a small apartment, working in an old hospital, and I've fixed a lot of stuff with my multi tools and my other tools (none of them "full size", but Knipex, Vise-grip, multi screwdriver). I choose my tools with an emphasis on versatility and flexibility, because I travel light.

I accept that it's a compromise, but the compromise is usually what I need. I would prefer to be able to summon a 6 " Vise grip at times, it would've been very handy a couple of weeks ago but I'm not going to carry one. Instead I used my skeletool and zip ties. And that worked ok.

No, I don't think that tool exists. It would have to be a very focused tool for people with very specific needs, I doubt it would sell very well.

Lateck, WillAdams and znapschatz like this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I picked the Swisstool, been belt carrying it 24/7 for over 15 years now, the lack of OHO doesn't bother me because I always have a Spyderco in my pocket.
    Yes dedicated tools are better but I can't imagine the size of the pouch I'd need to carry even just the few that have been mentioned above. Lol

8. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

The best anyone can do, is to try and anticipate what they may be doing that day; and then, 'carry' accordingly. I have several 'multis' and they all have their place, in the scheme of things. As an IT/telephony technician, the "Paladin" was the dedicated tool of choice. For the home, my SwissTool always lived-up to it's legendary billing. For general EDC-ing the Leatherman Wave Plus works great, augmented by a Vic Alox jackknife. But as others have also; noted here, a wide range of regular tools works best when available. Most people destroy tools, trying to use-them for what they weren't designed, or intended for.

Lateck and That Movie Guy like this.
  9. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

Swiss spirit is my favourite. There used be a guy on here that posted pages and pages of stuff he fixed with his. The saw blade is a little known but highly functional thing to have. My perfect SAK would be an Explorer with a saw blade added
    If you have wire cutting to do, I believe the Swiss is better suited. I used to get guys in my shop that couldn't get their Leathermans open after burring the jaws.

10. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

I think of it this way:

If you NEED to carry a MT then go with Leatherman. The most used tools- knife, screw bits, and pliers- are a little stronger, it's easier to clean, and it's cheaper if you need to just replace it.

If you WANT to carry a MT then go Victorinox Swiss Spirit. It is so perfect, it is so beautiful, it is so wonderful to use it will make you WANT to carry it, even if you don't have to.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I NEED to carry a MT and have somehow broken several Leatherman and always the same way.
    I have had no such luck breaking my Swiss Tools at all.
    Also carry Gerbers with no real issues and the Centerdrive for the last year maybe,the driver is a game changer!

Clearly to each his own preference with these.

ramjet and FiaOlleDog like this.
  12. MAGA

MAGA Loaded Pockets

Man I so bummed I got Gerber a centerline from work but I lost it a week after getting it.

[​IMG]