1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman vs Victorinox

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by A.B., Sep 30, 2018.

1. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but here goes. I'm in the market for a multitool. Which is better. I'm gravitating towards a wave. But I really like victorinox. Can someone help me decide. A wave or similar vic. Cheers

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

2. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

They are pretty different actually. Wave has four one handed opening blades/saw/file on the outside. That's cool. The victorinox spirit also has all tools accesible from outside, but nothing one hand opening. I handled both and you cannot really compare them. The wave is heavier. The Spirit is well constructed and has the nicer finish, but does not emphasize the blades that much. since I don't use them a lot on a multitool anyway, I could do well with a Spirit and be happy. If you like OHO blades, get the wave, if you you are cool with pliers and a lighter and more basic toolset, take the spirit.

The other Vic offering, the vic Swisstool, is constructed like a classic leatherman supertool with all tools and blades inside the handle, so you can compare those a lot better. I also handled both and here I'd say the build quality and finish of victorinox is far superior. maybe you could compare it best to the LM supertool 300. If you like this style of construction, I'd say Vic wins here. But these guys are pretty heavy.

That being said, they are all good and reliable. I traded the wave I bought for the laptop I type this post on and still am happy with my old Leatherman Blast I owned before and got it used/like new for 40 to 50 euros. Has a complete toolset and I carry this in my bag anyway, so no need for one hand opening. If I had no MT at all and don't care for price, I would probably get a spirit these days and add a dedicated knife to the mix if I needed one hand-opening.

The downside with most MT's is they are just pretty heavy, so consider weight and how you want to carry it and how often you expect to need it. I found out that during, summer, I likely not like to carry a heavy lump of steel on my body. How often do you need it? For the job? for camping? bicicle tour? My daily urban EDC is a tiny LM squirt PS and a normal Vic Swiss Army knife, which is usually enough for most light tasks I run into. Also consider if One Handed Opening is important to you and legal in your country.

vic spirit is about 200 grammes, wave is about 250 gr
    swisstool comes at whopping 336 grames, supertool 300 weighs about 275 gr., a LM Blast about 190 gr. and I a Skeletool comes in at 145g

Last edited by flux, Sep 30, 2018
    #2 flux, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Russ Prechtl and A.B. like this.
  3. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

Due to your location, I would stick with the Victorinox.

I'm a die-hard Leatherman fan, it's the only thing I've carried for almost 6 years now. If you have the funds I would recommend trying a Wave, resale value is pretty good even though the Wave+ is out now.

But I will admit, Victorinox fit and finish is leagues ahead of Leatherman. But they do not order as many models, sizes, or one handed options.

The biggest question I have is how do you intend to carry it?

A.B. likes this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Well, I am usually the guy who says " dedicated tools" and so on. But I always wanted to try one. Not for pocket time, but more for like in the wife's car or in a pack or something.

5. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I also only bought the Wave just because I thought it is cool and I wanted to eventually try it, but found I really don't need it and then ended up trading it for something else later. Check out ebay. Lots of people buy them or get them as gift, find out they don't use them that much for this or that reason and then sell them. I got my Wave used but like new with original box for 50 or 60 euros. Try and if you don't like it, just resell it, it won't cost you much beside postage.

Interestingly, you can find Waves on ebay every day, but noone seems to sell their used Swisstools or Spirits. Maybe they are just not that common.

6. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Speaking of eBay, you can get a cheap used leatherman with the no locking blade and it will carry like a vic.
    Or just do like all of us and get both! Lol
    Sometimes you need pliers. And others you need the Swiss army goodness.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garza and A.B. like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I own several vic knives. And I'm never without two knives. Was just interested which one would be the better multitool to buy.

8. Formidable Tool

Formidable Tool Empty Pockets

It's really up to the buyer to check specifications and compare different models. Your the only one who really knows what tools you need, and what size and weight you're willing to carry. The search for the right tool, and finding the best price is the fun part. Once your interested in a specific MUT, search for it on YouTube to get a better feel for it.

I only have one larger Leatherman myself, it's the Rebar, and I keep it in a bug-out bag. The largest SAK I own is the Fieldmaster.

Edit: Oops, I forgot about my Victorinox One-handed Trekker with NS blade, that's my largest SAK.

Last edited by Formidable Tool, Sep 30, 2018
    #8 Formidable Tool, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    A.B. likes this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a juice in my work bag and Swiss spirit in the truck. They are both amazing tools but I am more weight sensitive as I get older. All this stuff adds up.

Tallboyjim, twin63 and A.B. like this.
  10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I like the Wave quite a bit. My Swisstool has been sitting in a drawer completely unused for over ten years.

A.B. likes this.
  11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I stopped carrying Leatherman' years ago after getting tired of killing them,they did replace them but c'mon.

I would carry a Gerber Pinchy before a LM again and have carried a Spirit X ever since.......
    Until trying the Gerber Centerdrive last year!

I have not put the Centerdrive down yet.

I don't use the knife at all on a MT and always carry the knife that I use in addition to a MT so the Drivers and Pliers are the meat of the MT for me and there is just comparison between the Centerdrive and anything else for those to me.

chaosmagnet and A.B. like this.
  12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I need to find one in a store and handle it. I love the look of the driver but I've never found a pair of (what I call) "slidey pliers" that worked well for me.

13. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

My go-to tool is the Leatherman Rebar, which hits the sweet spot in almost every category. It is the refined version of almost everything I find useful in a multi-tool in a manageable form factor, size and weight-wise. About 20 years ago, my multi was a Leatherman Super Tool, a crude version that was a mite too heavy, but the utility was too good to pass up. The drawbacks were weight, clumsy closing and, with use, floppy opening. I put up with all that in exchange for the utility, but the Rebar was the answer to all those flaws. It quickly became became my sole multi. For years I have been carrying and using it daily for all manner of quickie chores, while the rest of my Leathermen have been (sadly) neglected. I can't say it would work for everyone, but has addressed most of my major complaints, except for no scissors (I keep a Micra in my 5th pocket for that, plus nail file, ruler and tweezer so it shouldn't be a total loss. But what in life is perfect?) :)

Formidable Tool, A.B. and chaosmagnet like this.
  14. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Loaded Pockets

In casual dress I keep a Leatherman Wave clipped to my right front pocket. I don’t feel normal without it. I have an...extensive knife collection however the Wave ticks all the boxes for me and the knives sit in their various cases and drawers.

I’ve never tried a Vic MT and I’m not sure I would since it doesn’t seem to be their forte (based solely on product selection and target audience)

15. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Well, I made up my mind. I'm sticking to dedicated tools. Read a lot of reviews, and based on that I feel a multitool is ok at everything but good at nothing. Thanks guys.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  16. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Same result from my thought process: MTs are fine for some (single) tasks - but for some real work (consider you need to tighten a screw that is locked on the other side by a bolt) -> you need separate tools!

Would be great if the MT could be split in parts, like a screw driver and a pliers part for this kind of work, and could be reassembled for easier carrying (or single tasks) once the job is done ... prior art, need to file a patent for this idea! :bounce:

A.B. likes this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I totally agree both on the subject of 'real tools' and how often a separate tool is needed to hold a bolt or nut in place to tighten. I carry a Pocket Wrench II in the same sheath as my MT for holding a nut in place. And I have a Doohickey on my tool ring as well as a micro widgy on the same ring. These three serve in a pinch to hold either a slotted head bolt or a nut steady whilst I use the pliers on my LM to tighten down.

Optimal? No, but they do let me tighten down as I said in a pinch.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

18. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

As I am in the construction business a 'jack of all trades' isn't good enough even though it would only be a tool for the wife's car. Kind of like leaving her with inferior tools. Not to knock MT's. I just like quality dedicated tools. Except vics. They are my weakness...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Totally understand your point of view. I only count on my approach for something quick and convenient at the moment in time....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

A.B. likes this.
  20. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

A multi tool is, by definition, a compromise. Criticizing them for this is like criticizing a folding knife because it folds and it is therefore weaker. It's their biggest strength and its far beyond fair to call it a weakness.

Yes, I'd love to use dedicated tools for every job, I'd love to use a full size ratchet for tightening that screw at the desk chair at work, it would be done in two seconds as opposed to the ten seconds it takes for the Leatherman with the bit kit. But, I also don't want to carry a full size ratchet in my pocket. I want to use a full size saw to cut off that limb that gets in the way when I'm fixing things around my mom's house. But I'm certainly not going to go get it from the garage on the other side of the house, this would take ten times longer than just taking out my Leatherman and using the saw or knife. And so on.

Multi tools are what they are, no one in their right mind would say they are better than dedicated tools. They are better at a few things, namely versatility. Let's see your Vise Grip cut paper, let's see your work knife used as pliers, let's see your hammer used as a screwdriver. Versatility vs specialty, two completely different things.

Its extremely unfair to compare a 240 gram multi tool to a 15 kg tool box. I'd even argue this is the definition of apples and oranges. For a car I would argue for a few dedicated tools, weight and size isn't much of a consideration. But when it comes to carrying it in a bag or in your pockets dedicated tools are not realistic.
    There's plenty of multitools that "split into parts" during use. S.O.G, Ganzo, Leatherman REV are just a few.

I doubt thats what you meant though, as those can't really be reassembled again. ;)

znapschatz and Moshe ben David like this.