1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman vs. Knife - Dilemma?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by DCBman, Jan 14, 2022.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I'm sure this is probably like the 9mm vs. .45 debate, but there's a twist.

I have a Leatherman Wave that I like to carry. It's a pretty functional tool overall with a good balance between bulk, weight and function. Historically, I've always put a clip on them so they can be pocket carried easily. The problem is, the clips always break (I've broken three now).

I always carry some kind of an edge, religiously, day and night. The blade on the Wave is 'okay', but certainly no substitute for an actual dedicated knife blade like my Civivi Elementum or one of my Benchmade Mini-grips.

So, the question is...should I go in search of some kind of an exotic clip for my Wave, or just relegate my Wave to belt carry (occasionally) and have my knife as my primary carry?

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Also, if you know of a Leatherman pocket clip which won't break, puh-leez let me know! I've given up on the Leatherman brand ones, and now I'm looking at a titanium one by Donk!.

2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Generally, I've found that multi-tools just don't pocket-carry all that well. They're bulky and heavy, and clips are generally flimsy and prone to failure as you've experienced. Multi-tools are best carried in a pouch/sheath/holster on the belt, or in pack/purse/bag of some kind. I leave my multi-tool in my pack and get it when I need it, but I always pocket-carry a knife.

That said, there might be a solution if you're willing to try. I've heard from guys who like to pocket carry a gun that they use a magnetic clip to pocket carry a spare magazine. It's called NeoMag, and might be sized right to hold on to your muiltitool. Something to look into, maybe.

J_C and post tenebras like this.
  3. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I'm tempted to buy a pocket clip made for the bond/curl and drill and tap the appropriate handle on my wave just to see if pocket carry is worth it.

They (the Wave)seem to be built too heavy for normal pants pockets but I use 5.11 ABR Pro's for work and they have reinforced spots on the pockets for longevity.
    Or I may just buy the Curl and try that out.

Recently I bought the Sog powerlitre and tried to pocket carry it but the corkscrew digs into the leg a bit much, it now resides in a small leatherman nylon sheath.

The ideal thickness of anything in my pockets for comfort is no more than a four layer sak like the fieldmaster.

4. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

The Wave isn't too bad to pocket carry really, once it's in your pocket. The biggest problem I've had is the prongs that attache the clip break off. Once this happens the clip is useless. I had one break from dropping the tool, and the other one just broke (because I guess it was unhappy and didn't like me). I'm going to see if these Donk titanium clips work better.

5. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

I can't speak tot he Wave, but the Free P2 isn't too bad to pocket carry with the clip. I do prefer using the sheath, just because I kind of like keeping my pockets mostly empty now.

I've snagged the clip on my Free T4 several times and haven't snapped it yet. It's worked fine for me on that model.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a MT in a Skinth holster along with 2 lights and some bits when I am working which is most of the time if I have pants on.
    It is a Gerber Centerdrive and I use the Driver the most.

I carry a Knife all the time if wearing pants along with my EDC light and keys and unless I use these and forget to put them back where they go they are truly always with me.

I am not sure that I have ever used the knife in my MT really and not sure that I ever will?

My Zebra SC64W is always clipped to my right hand pocket and my Spydie Manix LW is always clipped to the right hand tool pocket of the Carhartts that I always wear.

It has taken me a long time to settle on a knife that is big and bad enough to use for work and light enough to always carry for sure.
    The lights have always been Zebra at least since the SC52 came out.

If its not broken I will not fix it!

twin63 and ox71 like this.
  7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

THANK YOU!!

<3 Thumbs Up>

Very rare in today's world!

8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I think the dilemma is real, though each persons specific situation and priorities will ultimately lead to differing preferences.

Personally, in my mostly-office job, I don't need a multi-tool all too often. As such I've currently landed on a solution where I mostly just carry a knife in pocket, and keep my other tool-like EDC items in my backpack. It's not ideal, but for someone who needs the non-knife implements as infrequently as myself, I generally find this to provide the best benefit-to-inconvenience ratio.

In addition to my pocket knife, I always have a small prybar inside my wallet. It doesn't provide much value as far as tools go, but I don't notice it's there and it prevents me from the temptation of using my knife for non-knife tasks.

On some occasions I've carried smaller SAK type multi-tools in order to offset the threshold where I need to get tools from my backpack or any other tool stash near by. And it kind of works, but none of the SAKs have my ideal selection of implements, so I either have to go bigger than I prefer or leave out one or two of my preferred tools. I will eventually try to mod my way around this, but for the time being I have to rely on off the shelf solutions.

I haven't given up on pliers-based MT's either, but I've yet to find a solution that is discrete and comfortable enough to convince me.
    My next attempt will be the SOG Powerpint paired with a home made leather sheath. It's not easily obtainable around here, so I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to strike a nice balance between size, weight and usefulness. And the tool selection is pretty much spot on for my needs.

When my pockets fail me, my backpack is never too far away
    [​IMG]

ran23, DCBman, demPho and 1 other person like this.
  9. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Oddly enough, the only leatherman I’ve owned with a clip has been the Free P2 but it has completely changed my perspective on MTs. The extent of my MT usage used to be deep in a bag and only came out in the off chance I needed pliers and didn’t have pliers.

I’ve carried the the P2 as my primary blade and tool for almost exactly 2 years now, every day without fail. I’ve been completely satisfied with the tool itself but also surprised by how much I use it. As a residential contractor, it saves me many trips to the truck. I’ve beat it up, snagged it, dropped it and all the various blunders and it’s not skipped a beat. The clip design and attachment seems very strong and resilient. Yes, the knife is a bit underwhelming but it does everything I don’t need a razor knife for.

I have no insight into clip options for the wave, since my wave is on bag duty. But the free series is fantastic for a pocket MT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

parnass and DCBman like this.
  10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

@aicolainen - Yeah, I don't use the knife on my MT too much either, but I do keep it sharp, and I do use it periodically, but usually only if I have my MT out for something else. Otherwise, I just use my regular EDC knife (a Civivi Elementum which I really, really, like).

I'm going to have to check those SAK MT's out. I've seen them, but never really looked at one up close. I agree with you though about SAK's in general, they generally don't have the features I need so I don't carry one. (Do have a couple Alox's though just because I like them).

@demPho - I've never really looked at the Free (P2 and P4) models of LM too carefully. I think they're relatively new aren't they? I did glance at them the other day when I was looking for something else. They kind of look like a lighter duty Wave with a different form factor.

11. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Yeah I think they are under 3 years old. I wouldn’t consider them light duty by any means. It’s got good heft and has withstood quite some abuse on my end. The form factor is great, the deep carry clip makes it feel reasonable in the pocket and I think the one hand magnet mechanism is a winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DCBman likes this.
  12. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Leatherman is all that you will need

parnass and DCBman like this.