1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman vs Gerber

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Tex8746, Sep 6, 2008.

?

LM or Gerber

1. Leatherman

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Gerber

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Other, what?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fireshawn

fireshawn Empty Pockets

I carry my gerber multiplier w/ me everywhere. The fact that I can one hand open and the outer edges are the rounded portion, not the edge of the tool like my dad's leatherman sealed the deal. I just wish I could still find the snub nosed instead of the needle nose. I just don't seem to be able to get the same torq out of the needle nose as the snubs. Just my .02 worth.

2. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

Heh, mine are the snubbies - will trade for new shiny sharpness :D

3. RazorOrange

RazorOrange Empty Pockets

I've carried the same Gerber needlenose multi on duty for almost ten years...kept it on my belt for so long I had to replace the sheath ($5 from Gerber). In fact, the Gerber I still carry was used and given to me when its previous owner bought a leatherman. The entire tool is solid and the blades remain sharp even with repeated use. On duty, where there are many times you only have one hand (the other holding a flashlight, ticket book, etc.), the one-handed open is handy as hell. Bought one for my wife when she graduated the academy and went on patrol (I like her's better because its black...). I have a leatherman and its a great tool as well, but without the one handed open, it stays in a tool bag in my truck.

4. Mike Grandin

Mike Grandin Loaded Pockets

Been carrying a one hand open Gerber since 1987! I do have some LM's but have'nt carried one in awhile now. Prefer the Gerber & a SOG Power Lock.

5. Proc

Proc Loaded Pockets

Hard to beat the Wave.

6. resq1192

resq1192 Loaded Pockets

I agree re LM Wave. I've been carrying an old Wave for @10 years, have beaten the crap out of it (been run over by a ladder truck), "stress-tested" the tools (blades still cut seatbelts w/care, used knife blade to pry a window to get access to a patient, broken off a flat-headed screwdriver [yes, this is the pre-swappable bit model]) and it is still my only choice for work and home EDC. A lot of the guys I work with have suggested I retire it for something new, but I think I'll keep using it until I've beaten it to death.

7. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

Actually carried a Buck X-Tract for a few years now - Backpacker mag gave it a great review either 2 or 3 years ago, I got it then.

Surprisingly (to me) I rarely used it. But when I did, (mostly the pliers) it worked fine.

A buddy of mine just got back from Iraq a few months ago and honored me with the Gerber he carried over there.

At first I wouldn't take it, but he said it was issued to him and he had 2 and he knew how much I liked stuff like that. ACU digi-camo case and all! :cool:
    It's got that teflon flat black finish which is wearing thru in a lot of places - being so well used by him.
    Said he carried it on his left chest daily...and it's a prized piece of gear for me now. The thing is build like a TANK too.

8. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I don't own a Gerber, but I prefer the butterfly-style opening of Leathermans, Swisstools, etc. It allows me to use a screwdriver with just one half of the grips so you get a slimmer tool shaft. I can't really describe what I mean, I open it like shown on this picture from polak187's Skeletool review: http://brunerdog.tripod.com/skeletool/5.jpg

9. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

:iagree:
    I bought a LM for the same reason. Didn't break my Gerber, but the flex when I torqued 'em was worrysome. But, the LM isn't any better. I've resigned myself to the fact that folding pliers of any design just can't handle torque along the axis of the jaws. Even solid standard needle noses can only take so much. Now when stiff wire needs bent, etc., I go for the real toolbox whenever possible.

Edit: oh yeah, preference. LM, just barely. I likethe solid feel. Gerber flick-open is way cooler though, and the can opener is better IMO. Otherwise they bother have their strengths and I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

10. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Gerber, at one point, did make multitools that were as good as anything else you could get.

I have a very old school M600 that's still going. Yeah it feels primitive next to my other tools but it's still a capable EDC. If it had locking tools I'd still be using it probably.

Then one day I saw the first LM Wave.

I tried a couple of Gerbers after that, but soon I moved on from the brand, and they've not sold me anything in several years.

And that's a shame because more good choices is always better. The M600 they still make is probably still as good as it ever was, but I see nothing else I like in their lineup.

For me now it's LM, Sog and Vic.