1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman vs Gerber

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Tex8746, Sep 6, 2008.

?

LM or Gerber

1. Leatherman

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Gerber

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Other, what?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of the original Leatherman tools; one in my motorcycle tank bag and one in a Maxpedition Janus that I move from bag to bag, as needed.

I carried a Gerber Suspension in my EDC briefcase, but had the opportunity to upgrade to a SOG Powerlock. I wanted the more capable, tougher tool with me every day. The Gerber now resides in my music pack for changing guitar strings and batteries, which it does well.

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Hoping to get a Spirit soon but totally agree with you there :)

3. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Well said. I love the flick-to-open feature, but I've found that I already EDC everything else the Gerber has: I've got better screwdrivers, knives, etc. I don't carry a file but in a pinch I can just rub something on the concrete sidewalk. :p

Now I'm considering some Knipex 5" pliers. Then I'll pretty much have everything of the Gerber, but with better ergonomics and quality.

4. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

Yeah, Leatherman is far better. Don't get me wrong, the MP 600 and 800 made in USA Gerber's are excellent. But, the Chinese stuff is absolutely terrible. Victorinox puts out a better multitool than both of them though.

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

IMHO Gerber is good, and the MP 400 CS is a great starter tool as well as being nicely priced, but the Leatherman quality is better. Leatherman's pliers are the best, but overall F&F as well as quality goes to Victorinox Swisstool.

6. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Much perfer leatherman over gerber. Better quality overall. My favorite tool brands in order are:
    Victorinox
    SOG
    Leatherman
    Gerber

7. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

I have handled both. LM hands down.

8. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman is far better than gerber, but even Leatherman quality is going down the tubes fast. I have bought around 5 new leatherman tools in the last few months and everyone of them has had a problem of some sort right out of the box. They all seem to have a defect that made it past QC. The Wave I bought yesterday has a blade that opens if you breathe on it, stabbing you in the hand as you use it. I even tightened it up, and it still did it. The detent on the liner lock was not stamped good enough to lock the blade closed. I bought a Juice cs4 the other day and the rivets on it were not bucked all the way tight when I pulled it out of the box, the whole tool was loose. I am giving up on Leatherman for now, I am going back to Victorinox. Never a problem there.

9. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Generally I like LM, the last one I bought was a Skeletool around a year ago and I have no complaints with that.
    If not LM then I like the Schrade Tough Tool, although it's a little on the heavy side it's comfortable to wear in the pouch and has a good selection of tools. Also the pouch is the nicest quality of any of the tools I have had.
    There is also another tool on the market which I have seen a few times but don't know the name of, the handles swing through 180 degrees to give either needle nose pliers or a gas plier type head and it has storage for a couple of screwdriver bits in one of the handles. Not quite as good quality as my LMs but a real beater.

10. gadgetguy35

I still carry my original LM PST, that tool is built solid with no defects. I love it. I also carry a LM Micra, same deal. Both are great, but the newer LM's just disappoint me. The only one that is still on my hip at work is the LM Blast. It is a great tool, but the difference in quality between my blast and my Victorinox tools is very noticeable. Leatherman could do with some schooling by the swiss.

11. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

LM. I have several models and they have been great. I bought a Gerber as a gift for a brother-in-law (that I really like). I was trying to save some money but I really should have gotten him a Leatherman instead.

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Depends on - in uniform, I carry a Gerber. The one-hand flick sealed the deal for me - the smoother edges making it easier to grab was also a major plus.

Otherwise, I lean towards a Leatherman or a SOG. My SOG Powerlock is noticeably heavier than the others, but I'm also confident in its ability to take more abuse.

-Trevor

13. codewarrior

codewarrior Loaded Pockets

I was fortunate enough to snag a Gerber Recoil Auto-Plier before they discontinued it.
    :woohoo:

A little on the heavy side, but I absolutely love being able to deploy the pliers with the push of a button AND they have a spring to keep them open once deployed. I also have a LM Skeletool which is nice and light weight, but it's more work to open and use. Also, all the the Gerber blades lock open and I get scissors.

14. desiknow

desiknow Loaded Pockets

I have owned both and have chosen to carry a leathern.

15. dozzer

dozzer Loaded Pockets

Leatherman has excellent quality and build, cant fault it at all, they are superb!

i use for work and EDC

Dozzer

16. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

The only Gerber I ever had was an old "Mulyiplier" (excuse my spelling)
    I found it to be a great tool. The only prob I ever had with it ws the fact that the handles close flat together in plier mode.
    This can make for a nasty blood-blistering pinch across the palm if it slips under force. Otherwise, very well made.
    Lesson learned, I stay away from any muti-tool that closes flat when opened.

17. hieu nguyen

hieu nguyen Empty Pockets

SUPPORT multitools

Personally I loved as tools leatherman charge ti, xti, TTI skeletoo ax, I also like the quality of the tool Victorinox swiss tool spirit, but when I siwss tool Victorinox swiss tool spirit tools from a friend, velvet when accessing the test very difficult to access primary tools need knife is very difficult to access, consult to help me ti charge models, xti, TTI, skeletool ax to thank

18. alex fekete

alex fekete Loaded Pockets

I started out with a Gerber Multiplier and I was happy. Then I was given a Leatherman Crunch, what an awesome multitool! I have been a die hard leatherman owner ever since. I have the crunch, skeletool, micra, juice s2 and a squirt s4. I keep thinking I should thin them out, but I really do use them all.

Alex

19. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

Apart from the cheap items I had as a kid, the only "proper" multitool I've ever owned is my trusty Gerber Miltiplier. Don't get me wrong, I love it to bits, but it "feels" cheap in my hand, and I really hate the way the sliding pliers rattle - I know it's a function of the mechanism, but it sounds like they're broken. Additionally, if they're going to make a tool that doesn't have scissor action, why not put the rest of the tools on the outside? As it is, if I want the knife, I have to slide the :censored: pliers out to get at anything anyway...

That said, most of my colleagues carry leatherman tools of some sort, and I'm far fonder of their gear than I am of my Gerber. Just that I'm too tightfisted to replace something that technically works just fine, on general principal.

20. gadgetguy35

Most Leatherman tools are great, and if you get a good one(QC wise) they are all good. The problem is getting a new one with no factory defects. I love my Leatherman blast, but it seems to be the only model I can get that doesn't have something wrong with it right out of the package. If you go for the traditional leatherman that doesn't have oh blades, you should be fine. You can pick up a blast on amazon or ebay for 35 bucks any day.