1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman vs Gerber

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Tex8746, Sep 6, 2008.

?

LM or Gerber

1. Leatherman

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Gerber

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Other, what?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tex8746

Tex8746 Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to know of those who carry this type of multi-tool which do you prefer and why?

IMO LM is better, but I have had one since I was 5, I have never had a problem with one even one that I continually abuse and disregard caring for. Even after years left out on the back porch, being dropped in water, mud, oil, and transmission fluid! no cleaning whatsoever.

The Gerber's seem to be very rigid and hard to get to tools, but i would like to hear from the EDC community on their preference.

2. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

For me Gerber has dissappointed with their new range of tools. I like some of their designs because they are innovative and offer features other manufacturers don't. I don't like their build quality. If only they would bring production back to the US and use decent materials.

My first proper multitool was a USA made Gerber, with non locking tools. It was great and the tool is still going strong. These days, I have 2 LM Charge Ti's, 2 LM Skeletools and a Swisstool Spirit. The original Gerber is retired. I did have an MP400 and a Flik, but both have been given away.

For the Gerber fans, this is just my honest opinion. I am not trying to bash the company or anything.

3. Pshrynk

Pshrynk Empty Pockets

My two bits is -- from what I've seen the Leatherman stuff is a little more expensive but much much better in design and build quality than Gerber.

4. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

Hmm.... let me say for one, I can not decide which I prefer. I carry a LM Skeletool CX daily and for what I use it for it serves its purpose just fine. I also carry in my car, a Gerber 650 Evolution with changable heads. Both are very well built tools, I can't pick a favorite.

5. BigDanInTX

BigDanInTX Loaded Pockets

SOG Powerlock. If you don't mind the extra size/weight, it's awesome. I'm a big guy, so I don't notice the weight.

6. fireman402

fireman402 Loaded Pockets

Started out with a Gerber. Broke the pliers on the first one....didn't like the sideways torque that I applied to them on whatever I was working on....not their fault, just not designed for it. Switched to a Schrade tool for a while...liked it dut to the slip joint pliers...just a little on the big side. Finally settled on a Surge. Have been using it over a year and cannot find any faults with it.

7. FlipMag

FlipMag Guest

LM for the fact they have more models to fit your situation and needs.

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Gerber is near the bottom of my list. I opt for American-made tools, which rules out most Gerber multitools.

I owned an original palm pinching Gerber Tool and it was miserable. Aside from the handles producing a blood blister when the plier jaws slipped off a nut, the screwdriver blades were too short, the tool rattled when carried, and the pliers head was difficult to access.

Gerber carried over the stubby screwdrivers into some of their newer models, too.

The Victorinox Spirit and Swisstool X are my favorites. I like the older Leatherman tools (PST, Pulse, Supertool, Crunch), and some of the Bear multitools. I have a SOG PowerLock which is built well, but has some drawbacks.

9. Bubba

Bubba Loaded Pockets

I started out with the Leatherman when they were the only game in town, it opened blades out and pinched my hands (old complaint)

So when I used a Gerber a while later I was hooked and I really liked how fast I could get to the pliers (compared to old Leatherman)

Once I moved out west to the land of cactus, I switched to a Gerber with needle nose and locking blades
    I still liked it and figured I'd never go back to Leatherman until I used the Surge

No more complaints with Leatherman.. they are easier to open the pliers than their older designs and their blades are easy to open with one hand like any 'regular' knife

The Leatherman belt sheath has continued to work in the two years I've carried it, but it is worse ofr wear and will need to be replaced soon

I keep checking out the Gerbers but I haven't seen anything to win me back yet.

10. Renoutside

Renoutside Empty Pockets

I think it all depends on what your primary use for the Multi tool is. I had a Gerber for years and loved being able to open with on hand and a flick of the wrist. HOWEVER, as I didn't use the pliers all that often, I found that I didn't like having to open the pliers everytime I wanted a knife blade, srewdriver, etc.

On that note, it appears as though a wave or charge in my future.

11. max6166

max6166 Loaded Pockets

I have heard too many horror stories about Gerber to consider them at this point. A couple of their models seem to be decent, but I don't see the point when I can just buy from a brand with a better reputation.

As well, I have heard bad things about the warranty, and nothing but great things about LM's warranty. The warranty makes a huge difference to me.

If Gerbers were a lot cheaper, I might consider them, but my impression is that they are charging similar prices for what appears to be an inferior product with a lesser warranty. Just doesn't make sense to me...

12. Mr. kydex

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

i'd have to vote for Leatherman, Gerber multitools always seemed rather bulky to me.

+1 about the warranty thing.

does Leatherman make all they're products in the US?

13. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Here is a video clip made by an unhappy Gerber Suspension owner. His pliers broke while using the Suspension in a home project.

Video clip link

14. Tex8746

Tex8746 Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer: haha he was really gettin mad there at the end :brickwall:, understandably so, I have a Gerber suspension tool I got as a gift; it has yet to see any work.

15. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

I believe not. The bulk of the tool is US made, but some individual components are made in other countries. I have no problem with this so long as they use the same materials and have the same quality control as if it was made in the US.

16. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

It sucks to hear about the diminshed quality of Gerber multi-tools. I bought mine in 2000 online, directly from Gerber. It has "U.S.A." stamped on the grip and the blade, so I guess that explains things. I never liked the uncomfortable grip of the old Leathermans, and since I used the pliers quite often, the one-handed flick-open pliers from Gerber made it a no-brainer. I used it every day on the job for 5 years and it was flawless. It's still with me, and aside from some cosmetic wear and tear, it still functions the same as the day I bought it. Worth it's weight in gold!

Back then, you could build a custom Gerber multi-tool online: You couldn't select each individual item, but it went like this: Select plier type, select tool groups, select tool finish (stainless/black oxide), select exterior color. I ordered mine with black tools and an orange powder coated grip section. I would post a pic, but most of the orange coating has worn off and I need to clean the file pretty badly, so it's in an ugly state right now.

I'll have to check out the newer Leathermen to see how they've improved. I was eyeballing the Gerber Diesel or Pro Scout, but if they're made in China and are of a lower quality, I might pass. Bummer.

17. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Gerber tool are ok for the money I guess they don't seem to be as high end as leatherman tools I have had a few and my uncle has one now which he just got and its nice but I just prefer the LM.

18. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

The best multi tool I owned was a Gerber. For a while you could "build your own" on their website, choose which tools were on the inside of each handle, even the color of the handles. It was the multitool I carried with me when I was in Iraq. Unbeknowst to me, while I was gone they discontinued the build your own option. Had I know that, I wouldn't have traded it with a Gurkha soldier for his Kurki knife. I have run the gambit of SOG, Leatherman.....none are quite as good as my old trusty Gerber. I am disappointed in the lack selection of Gerber tools nog. I have settled now on a SOG power plier (although it was a quick fix, since I was out and about, it was on sale, and I was without a multi tool. This may sound silly, but the feature I miss most was the bit set and scissors on the Gerber (those always came in handy!)

19. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I have a few Leathermans that I like very much, but I also love my old custom made Gerber.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/Buzzbait67/Knives/Gerber/Picture004.jpg[/img]

20. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

Leatherman is far superior to Gerber . Personally I prefer the Victorinox Spirit to either .

Chris