1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Style PS pliers don't always line up (bias towards one side)

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Clunky, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Clunky

Clunky Empty Pockets

So for my first post, I bought a Leatherman Style PS just two weeks ago. So far I've used it a lot and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. Combined with my Gerber Shard it makes for a really efficient keychain one-two punch to go along with my Rat II and Microstream for repairing and salvaging stuff. The problem is, I'm kind of OCD sometimes and this morning I noticed that depending on how I hold the pliers, the plier heads don't always line up, but only on one side, i.e. they either line up just fine or they line up so the right side when looking from above goes up and the left side goes down, never the opposite (as shown in the pictures linked below). Now I don't know if it was always like this and I just didn't notice (and that it's supposed to be like this, because the way the pliers are they can have a bias toward that side) or if it's because I torqued a bolt or a nail a bit too much and somehow bent something. I've been kind of careful with it so I suppose it can't be the latter but who knows, maybe it's designed and it's just me being OCD. Do your Style PS or Squirt pliers do that?

Anyways, thanks in advance guys!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by Clunky, Mar 6, 2016
  2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

All the leathermans i've had eventually develop this issue... Im not sure if it falls under warranty. If its considered normal wear and tear it probably wont but honestly i never tried to send it in to find out because the warranty that leatherman has outside the US is terrible (its basically sending your tools to the local seller and he can do whatever he sees fit without anyone from leatherman ever being part of the process).

I've just learned to live with these wobbly and misaligned pliers on leathermans, and if i need pliers that stay lined up ill buy a better tool.

3. Clunky

Clunky Empty Pockets

Thanks a bunch for the reply! If you say it's like that for all Leatherman I can definitely live with it because the product feels like quality nonetheless (like every Leatherman I handled) and the things I need it for are small tasks, in a pinch, when I don't have my full toolkit with me. It was really a "I just bought it so while I'm still able to exchange it for a new one I might as well find out if I should" kind of thing but since it's probably going to be like this for every one of them anyway it's not worth the effort.

4. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

My scissors' spring broke on mine (while in a pouch and driving in a car)...

kikissabiz likes this.
  5. Clunky

Clunky Empty Pockets

Wow that's something! My condoIences for your scissors. I thought that by really babying them I could maybe manage to save them but from what I've read from you and other posts the scissors always seem to fail sooner or later with these micro tools no matter what you do. My efforts might be in vain...

6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Hmm... never noticed it before, but now that you said that and I checked, they are misaligned slightly. Doesn't seem to be too big of a deal. Besides, I've got a couple of needle-noses in the toolbox if I ever need real pliers.

7. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I have had the Style for over a year and a half, and I use it pretty regularly(IT professionals that deal with hardware: this thing is a good friend). Mine haven't seemed to misalign at all so far. I don't imagine I'd care though, as long as they continued to perform properly. Same with the scissors; still ok spring-wise. I sharpened them on tin foil once and didn't have any problems. Also a size 25 roller chain firs exactly on the back end of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Clunky

Clunky Empty Pockets

What is the secret to such superb maintenance dplafoll?

And it might sound dumb but what do you use the chain for, as a keychain or something like that?

9. kikissabiz

kikissabiz Loaded Pockets

This happened to me too..
    Mine just flip the scissors and just broke.

IHateBottleOpeners likes this.
  10. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Since they're so cheap I don't really worry about hurting the thing. I wouldn't say I've abused it but I certainly haven't handled it with kid gloves. I guess I got lucky on mine. And I definitely use it pretty regularly.

As for the chain, I use them as a split ring replacement on my keychain. Search for me or soul777toast in the Keychain Pics thread over there; you'll see more of how they work.
    Here's my current tools keychain. I recently took off the Gerber Shard and it's waiting for a Victorinox Cadet when I get around to grabbing one.
    [​IMG]

Clunky likes this.
  11. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Leatherman will replace it for you under warranty. The last time I sent them something I had a new one in my hand a week after I sent it to them. The only question in my mind is whether you want to replace it.

12. Clunky

Clunky Empty Pockets

I managed to fix it somewhat by hammering the rivet in with a mallet and the tip of small Robertson screwdriver but it's not perfect. I'll go to the shop where I bought it tomorrow and try my luck. If they don't want to replace it themselves I'll send it to Leatherman hoping they are as fast as you say but for a customer living in Canada. If the one I get develops the same problem I wont bother sending it back again and probably just apply the same fix.

13. Clunky

Clunky Empty Pockets

That is one awesome, utilitarian yet class looking keychain. That stuff must be so sturdy!

14. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Yeah there's definitely peace of mind knowing I would have to really, really abuse it somehow to break it. It's still a work in progress but with the Griffin, the UFO, and the links/swivels I've got it where I can add and subtract things easily.