1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Style CS Key Mod

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Kal West, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Kal West

Kal West Loaded Pockets

Wanted to show the key mod I did on my LM CS! I'm sure most people don't mind carrying loose keys, but ever since I saw this idea floating around these boards, I wanted to try it on the CS.

[​IMG]

1. Disassembled multi tool. It required jewelers hex drivers. I took off the knife blade and file, then used a dremel to cut off all of the black plastic.
    2. Used the knife blade as a template. I held it up against my newly copied keys and used a fine sharpie to trace an outline and a hole.
    3. Placed in bench vise to drill hole. Inserted drill bits into original knife blade hole to determine proper size and again later on to help compare with keys.
    4. Used a bench grinder to do the rough work then used a dremel for precision cutting and buffing.
    5. Reassembly. The tension bars made reassembly fairly difficult for the file side. I had press down hard in order to line up the holes. I chose to reverse the screw and bolt positioning so that changing out keys/blade/file would be simpler. Now, I just have to remove the screw to make a swap rather than completely disassemble the whole joint. Additionally, I had to create tiny cardboard washers to make the keys fit properly. I did not re-use the metal washer that was originally placed on the knife blade.

At this point, the project cost me nothing more than the leatherman and the tools I already had on hand. However, valet keys can't start a car and transponder keys are expensive.

Merely holding the real key next to the ignition while turning over the engine with the valet/leatherman key did not work. The transponder has to be very close to the key.

After a while, I finally decided to remove the transponder from my back up car key.

My jeep key had a rubber casing rather than a plastic housing. I used pliers to tear at the top edge above the key ring slot. I carefully tore and pulled off the rubber to reveal the transponder embedded in plastic.

I cut it out and glued it to the back of the leatherman. It's not pretty, and I'm concerned about losing it. But... It works!

Got any ideas for a better placement for the transponder?

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice !
    Nick