1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Squirt Pliers.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by dajak, Jun 10, 2006.

1. dajak

dajak Empty Pockets

I see a lot of these little tools on this forum, Im having one fliyng in from Lighthound.

Tell me, are they any good?

2. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Re: Keatherman Squirt Pliers.

I have the S4 which I have had for years and it has been dependable. It is one of the better microtools out there. The P4, you will have to go easy on it with the pliers. I wouldn't think it could take too much.

3. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

A good tool for the $$.

GG

4. morituri

morituri Loaded Pockets

I have the P4 - it sits on my keychains. Good for small tasks, but definitely not heavy duty.

5. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

The P4 is an excellent minitool. I've carried one most weekdays for the last 3 years. Other than the scales being scratched up, it's as good as new. If I ever lost it, I'd get another in a heartbeat.

todd

6. dajak

dajak Empty Pockets

Will the pliers be strong enough to pick up a hot pan from a campstove?

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I'd say no more that 2.5 lbs. max.  This is a lightweight tool after all. :)

8. kmcrawford111

kmcrawford111 Empty Pockets

Of course the P4 isn't heavy-duty but considering how small it is I am still amazed at how well the pliers work. I just used it a few days ago at work to take out some very large stapes from a box... I didn't have my Wave with me because I didn't think I was going to need any tools for what I was doing at the time but I always have an ARC-P, the P4, and my two most important keys with me in that little right-front pocket of my Levi's. I've had my P4 for awhile now and it hasn't let me down yet. I've owned the EL model and the Micra as well and my fiancee carries an S4. IMO the P4 has an almost ideal set of implements for its size, although I could do without the awl.

9. pipedreams

The awl is one of the features I like the most! :)

todd

10. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Me too, especially after I sharpenned it a bit more!

11. kmcrawford111

That's cool, I'm glad the two of you have uses for it. I suppose I'm just not doing any (or many) jobs that require an awl. I don't even need one for my larger, EDC multi-tools.

12. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Update on my thoughts on the P4:

Managed to twist the pliers and seriously dent the wire cutters on mine, on a regular task (not really heavy duty). It's a pity, because it made me loose confidence on this little tool, and I do like it's features very much.

I'm thinking in retiring it from active EDC and buying another Juice S2 (had one stolen a few years ago). I still keep an original SuperTool and original Wave, but they are too big and heavy for my needs.

13. pipedreams

I hate to hear that. Send it back to Leatherman.

todd

14. Craig720

Craig720 Loaded Pockets

How is it compared to SwissTech's MicroPlus? I carry the MicroPlus, I just don't use it for anything heavy-duty. I save that for my Leatherman Wave.

-- Craig

15. kmcrawford111

There is no comparison. The LM tools blow Swiss-Tech away. May be the worst aspect of the S-T is that the handles can be rotated very easily. There is no spring action or locking whatsoever.

16. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Send it back to Leatherman. Some jerk at my range busted mine and then handed it back broken without telling me. I sent it to Leatherman. They replaced it with a brand new one, no questions asked and in less than two weeks. This one of the many reasons why I EDC the Squirt and carry it on my site.

17. Craig720

Craig720 Loaded Pockets

Always lend out your "bang around" tool. I once asked someone what he intended to do with the tool he asked me for. He acted all hurt until I asked him, "You aren't going to use this on those heavy boxes, are you?" He then got all red, then kind of angry, then said, "What of it?" I said, "Always use the right tool for the right job." He almost yelled, "I know that!" I then had to quietly say, "I see." Then I just as quietly left the area. I heard he ended up using someone's desk scissors, ruining them in the process. Some guys are idiots and have no respect for tools. We must keep our wits about us.

-- Craig

18. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Sad but true. I don't keep my tools in plain sight. When it looks like someone (a good person that is) needs them, I do it myself I just can't trust people. Not that they care, they see it as a generous act :)

As far as pliers go. I always carry around a real pair of 5" Needlenose Pliers.

19. Monstera13

Monstera13 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Squirt P4 a month back, and I love it, but I regret not getting the S4 instead. I think I would use the scissors more than I do the pliers. Then again, the pliers are good for fiddly things, like changing around your keyrings etc...

20. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Simple solution, buy them both... ;D