1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Skeletool review...

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by polak187, Mar 1, 2008.

1. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I think y'all are finding the older freestyle in your searches since the recently announced one has no screwdriver whatsoever. See this thread at the multitool.org forum.

I don't particularly care for the 2009 freestyle. Folks used to complain the Skeletool was minimal but this one is really bare.

2. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Ahhhh! very good! It appears the knife is larger or they scaled down the handle to be about the size of the knife.

I like on my skeletool how small the knife is compared to my Wave. But it appears that they lengthened it.

3. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

You're right. Well, some people who hated the carabiner may like the Freestyle. But you're right, that is VERY minimal. it doesn't even have a bottle opener.
    :cheers:
    Initially I'm sure it will be priced quite high, but with the Skeletool's going for $40ish these days, I'd probably grab one of these if it was in the $30-$40ish range. Definitely not something that I'd pay more than that for though.

4. CommonHighrise

CommonHighrise Empty Pockets

Been living with a Skeletool for about 6 months now. Beleive me, its only because I cant find my Gerber multitool, but Im too stubborn to go buy a new one.

Dont take me wrong, the Skeletool is a champ on campsites. The thin pliers kick :censored: when fighting with my stove or playing with parcord. Knife is decent. I lost the bits a long time back, and dont use the bottle opener at all, so I might have to lop mine off so you guys can see how that works out.

For now, Ill keep looking for my Gerber, and missing those little Fiskars skizzors and that "THWAT" of flicking the pliers out.

5. DemskeetSkeet

There coming out with the freestyle which is just like the skeletool but no carabiner or bit driver.

Just pliers and knife.

6. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

From the pictures of the CX version of the Freestyle I've seen, it looks pretty neat. If its moderately priced I might consider picking one up. However now that I have a bit kit to go along with my Skeletool, it'll be hard to replace as my EDC.

7. DemskeetSkeet

Yeah I have to agree with you on that one! Gotta love that bit kit! :roof:

8. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

What i dont understand is why you just cant use the hard wire cutters instead of the soft wire cutters for soft wire?
    If you are confused about that, what i mean is why cant you use the hard wire cutters for every wire cutting task?
    Thanks to this review, i ordered it and its coming here tuesday

9. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I pocket carry my Skeletool at my work. In about 19 months of carry and use, I haven't lost the bits , and it still functions as new. I find it a worthy replacement for my original Leatherman tool. I especially like the pocket clip, and the lighter weight.

10. Ratslash7

Ratslash7 Empty Pockets

I think you can. The way I see it, you can cut all wire with the hard wire cutting area, but if you're cutting maybe a 1/4" steel strip or several wires at once ( I just cut a penny in half with my Surge) they will need to be softer or the edge may be damaged.

I assume the entire cutting edges are not hardened to the degree that the hard wire cutting edge is is because very hard steel is more brittle and could perhaps chip more easily. I gotta think the Leatherman folks thought this through.

11. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

I don't believe LM could reasonably manage to heat treat a portion of the plier jaws different than the rest. Differential heat treatment is a bit complicated. The hard wire section is merely machined so that the hard wire portion of the cutting blades are thicker and therefore less easily deformed by cutting hardened wire.

12. Ratslash7

Ratslash7 Empty Pockets

Complicated but doable. However, I like your explanation better.

13. reztab

reztab Empty Pockets

Great review and even better pictures. The Skeletool is on my want list, but I dont have any extra money. :broke:

14. Gene

Gene Empty Pockets

I got a decent deal on a used but almost mint Skeletool and the carabiner is the MAIN reason I bought it! I immediately took off the pocket clip as it seems redundant with the carabiner. I don't understand because if so many folks hate the carabiner, why did they buy the Skeletool in the first place? Like I say, I wouldn't have bought it WITHOUT the carabiner.

15. scott_blah

scott_blah Loaded Pockets

When I was looking at leathermans I had a toss up between, Wave, Juice S2, Skeletool.

I ended it with buying the Juice S2.
    main reasons why
    -Weight
    -More tools (compared to skeletool)
    -Compact
    -Tools that suite my uses.

Given there is the possibility of a lack of strength, but to be honest in my uses I dont need a massive chunk to do the job. So they were my reason for not going with the skeletool

16. b@man

b@man Loaded Pockets

I like the concept and the features. I wish it had incorporated the fold in clip from the 300 series knives and the ability to fold the bit driver in and out. this would save space, and make the driver accessable without opening the tool all the way which I find odd.

17. tysonb

tysonb Loaded Pockets

This was a great review; thanks for taking the time to post.

Like many of you, I have had several MTs over the years and I can honestly say that I like this one the most.

On a recent moose hunting trip, I had the opportunity to 'borrow' my father Skeletool for a week. He kept on bugging me to get it back through the week, and was sure to get it back before I went home.

I just finally picked one up this week and have retired my original Leatherman for good.

18. alex fekete

alex fekete Loaded Pockets

I don't know if anyone else has thought of this yet, but I just recently started using my skeletool as a keychain. If you clip the carabiner to your key ring you can then hang the knife in your pocket with the pocket clip, this makes getting keys out of your pocket easier and I've found that my keys don't even inhibit the use of the tool much because of how the clip is situated.

19. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

Welcome Alex to EDCF! Your idea has merit- thanks :)

20. GRH

GRH Loaded Pockets

I have thought of this and played around with putting a photon on the carabiner end. It worked well. I haven't tried keys yet!