1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman signal mods: tweezers, toothpick, scissors **WIP**

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by dwdillard, Jan 4, 2019.

1. dwdillard

dwdillard Loaded Pockets

So I've been on the hunt for the "perfect" :bounce: EDC tool. I've tried both Leatherman tools as well as various SAK tools, but I've never found it. So I decided to make a solution...

I recently picked up a Leatherman signal used for $65 on eBay. I also have a pile of parts from old SAK mods, and I may have also bought a "lot" of used Leatherman tools from govdeals (my wife loved that one :nah_disagree:) which gave me some parts to use. More on that later.

I personally am never going to use the knife sharpener but I LOVE that modular attachment spot where it goes.

So I designed a module to snap in the blade sharpener slot which will hold the tweezers and toothpick from a SAK. I 3D printed it and have been testing it today. I'm currently on rev. 7 of the tweezer holder and it's still not quite right- I can't use my bare fingers to get the toothpick out because it is too tight, but rev. 8 is right around the corner!

Importantly, the presence of the new module doesn't interfere with the operation of the pliers or the knife!

I feel like this could be a neat opportunity for Leatherman- sell accessory modules that would fit in the signal where the sharpener and firesteel/whistle fit.

I would ultimately like to try to fit in the blade exchanger from a surge, but then again, I also want scissors. I don't see myself using the saw or awl in day-to-day life, and I have other Leatherman tools I can take backpacking when I do that.
    [​IMG]
    More to come, as time permits.

Pics album is at the following link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wWm2sCR8CZegc9iw5

ferris209 and karlito like this.
  2. dwdillard

dwdillard Loaded Pockets

3. dwdillard

dwdillard Loaded Pockets

I don't think image uploading is working for me, so... Any suggestions?

4. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

Use TapaTalk App on your phone. The EASIEST way i've found to post pics onto a forum.

dwdillard likes this.
  5. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

Very cool idea.

6. dwdillard

dwdillard Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]