1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Rebar Knifeless Opinions

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Scrumbag, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Scrumbag

Scrumbag Loaded Pockets

Hello all,

Anyone got any thoughts on the Leatherman Rebar Knifeless? (Thinking of it for UK EDC).

If that isn’t so good, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scrummy

2. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Dedicated tools my friend. They are way better.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

The other option is to either totally remove the knife on any multi tool that you may fancy or modify it so that it doesn't actually lock. I know that it's a real shame to have to tamper with a brand new tool, just because of the daft UK law but better safe than sorry and all that.

4. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

It depends on if/when/where you will come into contact with the police. I've not been searched by a police officer since 1980 when, as a drunken 17 year old, I had my pockets gone through ostensibly looking for drugs. I've had bags checked going into football stadiums but I only ever carry a SAK to these.
    Now as a 54 y.o. white feller living in a provincial town I'm simply not on their radar; if I was a black teenager in a big city I would expect more attention because that's a major factor in the profile of the typical committer of knife crime.
    Getting back to the Rebar EDC, if a police officer wanted to get funny about it (and your attitude can play a big part in whether they do), then there's a saw, screwdrivers and scissors that they could claim were a "bladed or sharply pointed article" (the act doesn't mention what is covered, only that a folding blade under 3" isnt covered).
    At the end of the day, if you think you are going to be searched, then avoid anything that locks and go for a LM Juice.

5. Scrumbag

Scrumbag Loaded Pockets

TSB, you make a good point. I just have the joys of the Met police to deal with and they re rather funny on knives...

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

The problem you have with the LM juice or any other such tool that doesn't lock the screw drivers, awl or saw etc in place, they are no good in an 'hard use' or fast way. Years ago, I had the flat blade on a SAK fold in on me whilst trying to tighten a screw into hard wood, that were very painful, Also once I had the sides of the tip of a saw blade jam in the wood, the following forward hand thrust results in the handle/pivot swinging up, forcing your knuckles into the saw's teeth.:censored:

7. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Buy a wingman. Find a suitable washer. Take the knife off. Way cheaper, and if I can do it, anyone can do it. I converted mine for jobs in central London, which are rare and I had a wingman I didn't use often. I turn out "uniformed" in so much a black polo with a company name on it, so am at work (a valid reason for a wave or a skeletool) but given the world we live in, I understand your reasoning.

earthman likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You were using the blade on a SAK to tighten a screw? Did I read this right? Did the SAK not have a straight screwdriver on it? So many do.. Just asking'

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

No, I were saying that both of those attachments folded in on me at one time or another.

10. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

It would probably be worth pointing out to the aformentioned member of the local piggery that by the absolute strictest possible interpretation of section 139 a common disposable ball point pen is a "pointed object". That being the case you will be compelled to seek his removal from office for failure to do his or her duty if the aforsaid member does not stop,search and if nessesary arrest every individual whom might be carrying the aforsaid pointed object.

11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Don't forget those elderly ladies who have knitting needles in their bags, they are a serious 'weapon' compared to the humble ball point pen. Lol

It is a joke isn't it, I dunno how many truly innocent citizens have been done just for carrying a sub 3" locking folder or even say a pen?......surely the elements of harmful intent, general character, any previous history with the police etc should play a big part in this??

12. Scrumbag

Scrumbag Loaded Pockets

I think it depends on what their targets are looking like on what the plod's latest "drive" is...

I just don't want to give any cause I don't have to

13. Tristar777

Tristar777 Loaded Pockets

Hi. I'm 52 and can say the same!
    Haven't been searched since I was a teen going into a club. I always have my SAK on my belt and carry various other blades and tools all the time. Just don't carry them when going to town. There are plenty of cheap MTs that are within the law. Keep them covered and don't show them in public and you should be ok! Jmo.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

It depends how and why you need to carry a multi-tool or anything else with a fixed or locking blade. The UK laws are strict I'll admit. However if you have lawful excuse, i.e. you need it for your work or even your hobby, you have a lawful reason. I work in London most days and for my job I might need to use multi-tool or knife, so I'll have one with me.

If you go camping or take part in field sports in the UK, no-one expects you to use plastic airline cutlery or a pen-knife to gut game, prepare food, and so on.
    It would be a different story if I went into a nightclub, bar or an event where I couldn't justify a locking blade, and to be honest, why would I want one in those circumstances?

15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

From what I've heard, some Officers wouldn't accept that word/reasoning, you need to give a specific reason for being caught with a locker or fixed blade at the time of being stopped. For work you say? Now if you were say a carpet fitter, on the way to a job with a carpet and Stanley knife in the back of a van, that should be totally believable.

16. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I think you should be okay with the knifeless rebar.

When I was looking for a Leatherman I strongly considered either the knifeless rebar or the wave and grinding off the blade. The only reason I didn't was I felt they were too big so I opted for the Juice

The problem is that knife laws here are so vague. I have a locking knife in my tool kit. Is that considered good reason? That depends on the officer. I would consider a locking blade essential if I was going to be doing any work because I've had SAKs fold in on me but if I get searched, it's at the officers discretion.

I'd say in general, I'd go for a knifeless tool and then carry a SAK as well. It seems to me to be the safest option with the bizarre laws over here

PragmaticMurphyist and earthman like this.