1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman PS and TSA

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by CrazyEd, Sep 11, 2021.

1. CrazyEd

CrazyEd Loaded Pockets

I gave up carrying my Leatherman PSA because it seemed to always cause TSA to open my bag and question me. I’m reconsidering my decision. Anyone have recent experience? It would be easier in airports that use the dog bowls for keys, wallet, etc., but those aren’t as common in the airports I frequent. Everything is in one bin and your bag goes into a separate area for special review. It doesn’t take a huge amount of time, it’s just annoying. First world problems I guess

2. post tenebras

post tenebras Loaded Pockets

I have a discontinued Leatherman CS3. I have not flown lately, but it always got questioned, never confiscated, by TSA. I always brought the printouts from Leatherman and TSA confirming its compliance, but, when I fly again, I don’t plan to bring it since it causes hassle and it’s now hard to replace.

#2 post tenebras, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    CrazyEd likes this.
  3. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you know that they will want to inspect it, put it in the bin with the other stuff. That way, you don't have to mess with opening your bag.

4. vadsoom

vadsoom Loaded Pockets

Much depends on the fickleness of the TSA agent and the travel location. I carried a PS for years with zero problems. I usually put it in the x-ray bins and it was always examined. If I had the opportunity before my bin went into the x-ray, I would tell the agent that there were no blades. After hand-inspection, they would always give it back…. Until going to the Philippines. I made it there and through multiple airports, doing the same thing every time with no problems until an agent in Cebu decided she needed it more than I did. She confiscated it and it went straight into her pocket. Very frustrating, particularly because I had already been through multiple airports in the USA, Middle East, Africa, and Asia on that trip and was on my last two legs on the way home.

CrazyEd and jag-engr like this.
  5. CrazyEd

CrazyEd Loaded Pockets

That’s sort of what I used to do with the doggy bowls. My home airport is ATL and the system is a bit different from others. If the bin is flagged, the entire bin is sent down a different conveyer belt and an agent pulls the whole bin to a separate area, blah blah blah. I’m going to see what happens - worst case is a few extra minutes, or they confiscate a replaceable item.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I knew someone who had an expensive camera "confiscated" in China because it was a "security risk".

Nick4305 likes this.