1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Piranha...my thoughts

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Vic303, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

I've owned and carried the Piranha for a couple months now. I'm just not warming up to it very much. I thought it would be ideal for my wants/needs, but the execution of the item just isn't up to Leatherman's usual quality. The edges are all rounded, which means the scraper doesn't scrape, and the wrench flats don't hold. I won't say the tool is useless, but it's close. The bit holder works ok if you leave the rubber grommet on the bit, yet it would make more sense to have the tip of the open wrench end be ground for Phillips use. It would've been nice if the bit holder and bit would have a ball detent retention system too.

I really hate to think that I will have to take a file to this pocket tool to fix its many failures, but it looks like I will, if I want it to work at all. It's not a clone either as I got it from a reputable source.

Color me disappointed.

2. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Wow, I have a PockettoolX version and have found it extremely useful. I've assumed they didn't change the design, but perhaps there are differences.

3. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

same here, my original PockettoolX is a great and useful tool and comes in handy nearly everyday, shame leatherman has not made them as well as the original.

4. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Update: I've made a conscious effort to carry the Piranha more. It rides in the back pocket with my wallet. I did find the wrench slipping issue may well have been my own fault. I was testing it on some bolt heads and nuts in the garage and it was working ok. I may have previously mixed up Metric/English sizing, since it is not marked.
    e

I still wish the beveled 'lower jaw' of the open ended wrench would actually function as a screwdriver, as the bit & holder arrangement is tedious. I also will be flattening the bottom edge of the scraper, as it has what looks like a factory ding in it.

5. dekandhisguitar

dekandhisguitar Loaded Pockets

I used the scraper lots. I also have used the wrenches at the hospital where I work. But then I stopped using it so much, So I switched it out for an alox cadet that also rides in my back pocket. I find the tools more useful. And if i need the piranha, its always in my bag.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Yep - more often than not my Cadet is in my pocket and the Piranha is in my bag right next to my Spirit X (they look like they were made as a set).