1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Picture Thread

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by CheepSteal, Dec 15, 2012.

1. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Sucks. Boo on Leatherman.

"Angry Bird" is clever, though.

2. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

Come on everyone, the new logo is not that bad. Let's not be a bunch of grumpy old EDC folks who dislike change. I think it is a clever and logical utilization of the original heritage multitool shape as part of a rebrand. Nothing to get worked up about, and certainly not a reason to change your opinion of the tools themselves.

What I see is a good company that is providing some innovations within a fairly stagnant market, and rebranding in support of the new innovation products. I see a company that provides tools based on the needs of real working people who need real working tools (I trust my Crater EDC, my Wave when doing event work, and my OHT on my fire gear). I also see a company that is watching the same Youtube Leatherman modification videos as I am and recognizing what people want (as I have done with my Wingman).

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@aasoverteakettle: speaking for myself, when I see a well established company, one that has worked hard and successfully to establish a solid brand identity suddenly change logos I just find myself disappointed in them.. Much time effort and resources went into building that identity.

All too often things like a logo change at the least turn out to be an expenditure of corporate (you can also read shareholders') resources with little or no measurable ROI. Many times it results in an actual retreat (unintentional!) from that well built identity and an accompanying loss of market position. Why? Can be customers looking for the brand symbols and not finding them; customers seeing the new logo etc and thinking these represent someone new in the market when the customer wanted to stick with the known party, etc. All sorts of reasons.

Hopefully all LM will experience is either growth (which is what they hope for) or at worst only a minimal loss of share...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

znapschatz likes this.
  4. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

^^^^^^^^ Those are my sentiments, except better articulated. Beyond that, the new logo is not at all well conceived. It's hard to tell what it is trying to convey. I didn't catch on until Swe-nurse pointed it out. Leatherman should reconsider before the new logo is firmly established.

I would, however, like to point out that I am currently in possession of @ 20 Leatherman tools, acquired over a 20 year period. During the same time frame, I have sold off @ 10+ other LMs, just to let you know I'm a big LM fan. Do the math :D.

Last edited by znapschatz, Jan 31, 2019
    #1384 znapschatz, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. aasoverteakettle

(Disclosure: I work for a smallish marketing agency with large global clients. I work in the experiential (event) development and logistics realm. A lot of what I do involves the introduction of new products and brand strategies to consumers through tours and large and small-scale event activations.)

Mmmm. I won’t agree or disagree. It’s really dependent on the situation in which the company decides to make the change. I think a rebrand with a defined goal, plan of action, and appropriate resources is generally a positive move. In this case, the logo is heritage based and is in support of a solid new line of products. Also, it allows them to have a logo (the stylized “L”) as well as a word mark (the “L” as a part of the word Leatherman). I won’t say LM needed to rebrand, but it certainly is being executed properly, IMO.

Off the top of my head, Look at the FedEx rebrand in the 90’s. The obvious difference being that LM seems to be doing fine within the multi tool market whereas federal express needed to do something in order to stay in business. But nevertheless, the fedex rebrand was successful.

In my anecdotal experience, an opinionated stakeholder (shareholders or or otherwise) that does not let the marketing professionals do their job can and do self-sabotage more often than you’d think.

Now, let’s talk about a rebrand that with serious disastrous implications: Dunkin’ Donuts is now just Dunkin’?!?!!

Side note: LM has no profit-driven “shareholders” in the sense that the company and their shares are privately held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. aasoverteakettle

I feel it is necessary to note that none of this fantastic discussion fodder (which I am thoroughly enjoying) is relevant to the quality of Leatherman products. They are still the best. I really can not think of a case study where a well established brand with an excellent product lost market share due to rebranding. If the product is the best, thats all that matters. Now, if Leatherman rebranded as well as discontinued the Wave, for example, in favor of the new line of products (think New Çoke debacle), then I would anticipate a consumer backlash. But this is not the case.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@aasoverteakettle: Thanks for your insights. We have some overlaps in our backgrounds. Although I am basically retired (consequence of the recession etc...), I was a management consultant, also international, with substantial supply chain experience...

The FedEx 'rebrand' I suppose is a good example although it has been quite a while and I don't recall the details. At the time I didn't look at it too closely.

Dunkin' Donuts rebrand I concur is terrible. I would call it pitiable; if they are using a consulting firm that firm IMNSHO should be on the hook for malpractice! Wonder if it is the same folks who foisted the 'fake rebrand' of IHOP to IHOb for a while.... ;)

Your point of LM being private is interesting, although it basically just limiting the universe of shareholders/stakeholders compared to a publicly held firm. But I'll concur with your conclusion on this score.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

The evolution of a company’s logo is a common, and advisable practice. Just not too frequently nor too far removed from its prior iteration. Evolution, not revolution.

That said, they’ve incorporated an “L” into a very highly stylized open MT, and I get it...it makes sense but I dont think its a particularly well done, or even memorable, which I think the previous one is.

So...they are pretty much committed to running with this for the time being, and maybe the next iteration will arrive sooner than later.

9. aasoverteakettle

I feel so troll-y in retrospect. If folks just don't like the logo, I respect that. Looking forward to getting my hands on a T2 in June.

Have an excellent, productive, and prepared day everyone.

10. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Waiting for the P4 for the collection...

11. aasoverteakettle

DUDES! (This is technically a picture that I'm sharing. A moving picture!)

HeadOffice and That Movie Guy like this.
  12. Joseph08

Joseph08 Loaded Pockets

This looks really durable. I have this Deadly Matter Pocket Knife so i can relate the functionality and overall structure.

13. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Elmiro Dungfoot, Mar 9, 2019
    #1393 Elmiro Dungfoot, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Lateck and HarryD like this.
  14. Elmiro Dungfoot

Wave Plus soldiers-on, in spite-of-the-rain.

[​IMG]

15. Elmiro Dungfoot

Leatherman doing work outside today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lateck likes this.
  16. Elmiro Dungfoot

17. Elmiro Dungfoot

I guess I'll keep this thread going. Where are all the 'Leather' lovers at? ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lateck likes this.
  18. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I'll help you keep the thread going with my latest...[​IMG]

The MUT has some thoughtful engineering built into it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

19. Elmiro Dungfoot

Thanks karlito, appreciate the support! Go Leatherman! Love those 'black-outs', and the Juice.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  20. Elmiro Dungfoot

The little 'Micra' was tapped for duty today.

[​IMG]