1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman p4 free review initial impressions

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by yo mama, Apr 30, 2019.

1. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I'm a sucker for new. The free series being what Leatherman is moving to I wanted to see what it's like. Here we go!

The tool is big, feels bigger than the charge. It's one handed opening feels similar to a worn in charge or wave, but noticeably a different feel on the whole cam system upon lockup. Only center handle tools can be accessed one handed, the outside tools require use of the thumb holes. The tools being on the outside is just weird to get used to, I feel its prone to more dirt and debris with the open design.

The tools are "heritage" style, subtle improvements though can be seen vs the sidekick or wingman tools. I just dont see a benefit vs the replaceable or interchangeable tools on other comparable models.

Over all it feels well built and the quality is there. However in no way can this compete with the charge or wave. The pricing and materials just dont stack up, especially going with the 420hc for the blades. I like it, but dont love it, we'll see if it grows on me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My video review here:

2. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Since my initial views above, I had a chance to use the free p4 for the last week. I'm noticing the one handed access is limited as the tools come out together and separating them is just as labor-some as the older design opening manually.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@yo mama: Thanks for doing the reviews! Sorta wondered how much of this 'new' design approach was real beneficial vs hype...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I think I dislike this tool disproportionately to the actual impact on my life, I am inexplicably insulted by the price, the premise of flipping the pliers open like a show off idiot and the hype that came along with it by soft handed consumers.

to those that have bought one, I hope it fulfills the itch to buy the latest from your favorite company and adds joy to your collection.

I just have to add that yesterday I used my wave bit kit to remove some particularly tough screws from two different items at my job, screws that were in danger of stripping without the proper sized driver.

ox71

jrandom, chaosmagnet and yo mama like this.
  5. L_Medu

L_Medu Empty Pockets

I don't like this tool. I don't like the magnets idea. I don't like the european prices for it. I'll still go with my wave.

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review!

I haven’t handled one yet. My initial impression is that I am not the target demographic for this multi. The Free series seem aimed at those who display tools more than use them.

7. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. A tool that replaces my wave had better be monumental. I don’t dislike the features on the surface, I appreciate them if I’m being honest. But the wave is so perfect.

What I’ll be buying as soon as it becomes available is the K2X.
    [​IMG]
    I can’t go back to a blade-only knife after carrying my Crater for so long. It may not be fancy, but it does work!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yo mama and chaosmagnet like this.
  8. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

The Crater's Phillips driver is very good. From the looks of it, I'm not convinced that the Free series' Phillips driver is as good; I'm looking forward to someone doing a comparison.

aasoverteakettle likes this.
  9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Europeans having been getting rinsed by leatherman for some time now. If you have a wave (Or a charge) I’m not sure why anyone would pony up £190 in the UK for a Free P4. Like to see more non-locking options than the overpriced Juice range.

yo mama likes this.
  10. Archiver2013

Archiver2013 Empty Pockets

Might want to keep an eye on that price, the Australian store just dropped $40AUD off the price, taking the markup from 70% down to 50%. If you are set on it. Hold off for a bit.

11. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

At college we were told that an engineer can do for 50 pence what any fool can do for £5. The ludicrous prices in the UK will probably rule out most of us that expect some kind of value for money.

Moshe ben David likes this.