1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman MUT reviews

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by maillet282, Oct 31, 2016.

1. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Just as the title says. Been thinking about picking up a Leatherman MUT as a work Multi-tool. Anybody have any comments about them? I've been on Amazon and most of the reviews were about the seller and not the MUT

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have a MUT. It's big and heavy, but it works great. For me, I carry it when I'm on the range, and carry a different multi when I'm not. I've never needed to use the bolt override tool but that's one of the main reasons I put it on my belt before I strap on my AR-15. I do use the scraper and the punch regularly, along with the tools that aren't firearms-specific. I really like the onboard bit storage, too.

Unless you work on a range I'd be more inclined to suggest a different Leatherman. If you want to stick with a one-hand opening knife blade, I'd look at the Surge (less expensive, heavier, but more tools), Wave (less expensive, significantly lighter, still has more tools, but doesn't have the upgraded wire cutters) or Signal (less expensive, lighter still than the Wave, still has more tools than the MUT with a similar but smaller layout).

Nick4305 likes this.
  3. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

I was looking to add the MUT to my Battle Rattle as a medic I can be asked to follow an infantry platoon as well as be required to fire my riffle. just trying to get some half descent kit compared to the standard Issued Gerber Multi tool that isn't worth a crap

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Makes sense. That sounds like my definition of working on a range :rolleyes:. If I'm going to get in my party clothes to go to a gunfight I'd want to bring my MUT.

maillet282 likes this.
  5. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

Love mine. But as mentioned it is big and the pocket clip will tear up anything you clip it to. Still a great tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Kems

Kems Empty Pockets

i dont have an AR15 should i pick MUT over OHT ?

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

I only carry my MUT when I'm on the range. YMMV -- if you have a use for things like the bronze scraper and the punch that don't include a rifle, rock on.

My LM collection is vast but I've never owned an OHT. I think it's big and heavy for the number of tools it has, and it doesn't seem that I would like the pliers as much as I do on other tools. But that's me. If you want one-handed opening pliers and they look like they would work well for you, go for it.

In the end, buy the one that seems best for you and sell if after using it you realize you made a mistake.

8. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I'm in the UK, so I don't have a safe full of AR's. Unfortunately!

I bought the MUT because at the time, it was the only leatherman with a hammer, and replaceable cutters.

The knife is ok, holds an edge, but not as good as other true knives I have, even with 'inferior' steels. I'm not a fan of the serrations either, but again, no choice.

The saw is great. Good for wood, and awesome for poly pipe.

The pliers are also great, rather dexterous for their size.

The long bit holder is a 2 way button. If carried in a pocket I found it can get pressed accidentally. I took to carrying it so the bits fell down into my pocket after I heard one pinging on the floor of a site I was on. Not the best. A pouch would probably solve that.

Strap cutter is fine. I used to use it for packaging straps on delivery crates. Not tried it on anything else, I use a knife!

The bolt extraction part isn't a good pry bar. The edge is too smooth, so struggles to open paint tins etc.

The punch is a handy pokey thing. Used it a few times for miscellaneous jobs.

The carbon scraper, see above. Incredibly soft though, and bends very easily. Probably best used as a carbon scraper...

To sum up, it was the only choice at the time for me for a big tool. And it is big, and heavy. If I was buying now, there are better choices, but if you are using it to play with an AR, it may be for you. It is a compromise though.

Last thing though, it really does look cool!

chaosmagnet likes this.
  9. Mike 56

Mike 56 Loaded Pockets

If you want a big EDC multitool get a Surge. I have a Mut it is a nice tool but I think it is a solution to a problem that does not exist. At the range I use a 5.56 round on the receiver pins and bolt cotter pin. You can even adjust the front and rear sights with a 5.56 round when you live your sight tool at home. I smash the case mouth of a 5.56 case for a carbon scraper I carry one in my GI cleaning kit. If need to do a quick cleaning they come in handy. I keep a Tupperware container with CLP in it at home I drop my bolt in it overnight next day cleans right up with a GI toothbrush. If you have some sort optics on your AR the wrench is probably the most useful thing on the Mut. That's just my opinion and they are like a_ _ holes everyone has one.

10. polak187

polak187 Loaded Pockets

Mut is a tool that was designed for your range bag. Most of the time I'm shooting I go for my OHT that rides on my hip. When doing takedown at home I use regular tools and still OHT gets used more than MUT. Having said that MUT is build like a tank and has its place in the world but you sacrifice a lot of tools to get it. One thing I love about it is the pocket clip and longer screwdriver bits although they are pain to get to. In my opinion Surge is a better all around tool as a matter of fact you can see in the pictures that pliers and knife are exactly the same. Don't get me wrong MUT will get you by but Surge will do it in style with just more tools available st your disposal. Unless you need a pin remover and carbon scraper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 56 likes this.
  11. Beartracks

Beartracks Empty Pockets

I found my MUT to be less durable than my other multitools. In the first year or two that I had it, I managed to snap off both the scraper and the punch, though truth be told I think I was a little overzealous when using them. Also, (and I'm not sure how exactly this happened) the thin metal piece that retains the various driver bits in place broke. I've seen others with MUT's snap off the plastic pieces on the sides that hold the extra bits when not in use. All this said, though, after I broke all this stuff I sent it in to Leatherman and got a brand new one back. With service like that, you really can't go wrong with any Leatherman.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  12. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

I've had a couple for about 5 years now, both the MUT and the MUT EOD. They've both been used professionally (at the EOD end).

First, the MUT is clearly an assault rifle tool, but only gets you half of the way there. It doesn't allow complete disassembly or troubleshooting. The castle nut wrench is helpful to disassembly but doesn't come on this tool, as it does on some other more AR15-focused tools. It doesn't have a carbon scraper that's decent, unlike other tools. Check out the Multitasker 3 if you want a dedicated AR15 tool that's absolutely phenomenal.

Second, servicing an AR15 does really put a lot of strain on this tool. If you do so regularly, parts of the MUT will break or wear off. You can get a lot of spare parts for a kit to keep on hand, but you go through them too. Leatherman didn't make parts like that available for other uses but wanted it to succeed with people serving in Afghanistan, Iraq, or elsewhere that couldn't get spare LM parts easily.

Third, it's very heavy, as pointed out several times above. And bulky. And it wears on clothing, molle straps, etc. The clip tends to wear whatever it attaches to, plus there are a lot of edges and corners. Some of this gives it the signature look. No one would say that it's a comfortable tool to use, in the sense of rounded edges and ergonomics, but it's assumed that you're wearing combat gloves already if you have to pull it out. You'll have to pull the gloves off to get out some of the tools, though the basic ones for the AR15 are accessible. The hammer isn't really all that useful -- if I really needed to pound on something I'd want more leverage or more control, one way or the other -- and I could use the side of a Charge TTi or Surge just as easily.

Fourth, the MUT EOD adds just a couple tools that are mildly helpful but that an EOD doesn't really use that way, such as a detonator punch. I used these tools in ordnance management, especially IEDs, and didn't have the tools readily accessible that I really needed access to. A detonator punch on the surface of the tool is fine, but when I needed to remove screws on something to get to some leads, the screwdriver wasn't all that accessible. A Charge TTi worked better. The Surge offered more practical versatility as well.

I know breachers and EODs who use this tool, but mostly it's taken as a multitool to sell to kids with Airsoft guns who want to look important. It's a half-way tool for two or three purposes and doesn't really fit any of them optimally.

polak187 likes this.
  13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

My experience has been different -- the carbon scraper works great for me, and I've never had parts break or wear off my MUT (NB my first MUT arrived broken and was replaced by LM under warranty).

For the record I've never been law enforcement, military, or any kind of EOD anything. I am a competitive shooter and instructor. Perhaps people who carry arms professionally put more strain on a MUT than I do.

Totally agreed, I took it off day one and never put it back on. The clip on the MUT is awful.

14. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

This intrigued me and I looked into it. I don't see anywhere that it's in stock -- Brownells says it's discontinued. Do you know where to get one?

15. Macbrun

Macbrun Empty Pockets

The Multitasker is a great, solid tool that is nearly impossible to find. I managed to find one on eBay for my son to use (he's a USAF PJ) and his teammates with MUTs say the Multitasker seems better thought out. Even found someone ( I think on FB) that makes custom sheaths that hold the loose bits as well.
    As always, YMMV.

P.S. I happened to order a MUT for myself today because 1) Can't find Multitaskers anywhere, and 2) I got 10% off an already low price from GOVX.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  16. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252804277204 --> probably not the newest version though.

17. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

It's the current version but it's $205!

18. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I can't speak for the EOD side of things, and from the points you've laid out, that all makes sense to me. That being said, from the Sapper/Combat Engineer side of the house, having the demo spike on the outside is great, and I've used the hammer to beat on things more times than I can count, yeah, I could've done it with any other Multitool, but at the same time, I probable would've broken it at some point in the past couple years, while the only issues I've had with my MUT, is wearing out the sheath after 2 years of daily use/abuse as a Joe in a Sapper platoon, and I just recently broke the carbon scraper, but I was trying to use it to pry, so I don't hold that against it.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  19. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

I found a new Multitasker Series 3 on the 'bay. I'm very busy at work this week but I'm starting to work on a review comparing it directly to the MUT.

20. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus