1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman MUT reviews

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by maillet282, Oct 31, 2016.

1. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Just as the title says. Been thinking about picking up a Leatherman MUT as a work Multi-tool. Anybody have any comments about them? I've been on Amazon and most of the reviews were about the seller and not the MUT

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have a MUT. It's big and heavy, but it works great. For me, I carry it when I'm on the range, and carry a different multi when I'm not. I've never needed to use the bolt override tool but that's one of the main reasons I put it on my belt before I strap on my AR-15. I do use the scraper and the punch regularly, along with the tools that aren't firearms-specific. I really like the onboard bit storage, too.

Unless you work on a range I'd be more inclined to suggest a different Leatherman. If you want to stick with a one-hand opening knife blade, I'd look at the Surge (less expensive, heavier, but more tools), Wave (less expensive, significantly lighter, still has more tools, but doesn't have the upgraded wire cutters) or Signal (less expensive, lighter still than the Wave, still has more tools than the MUT with a similar but smaller layout).

Nick4305 likes this.
  3. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

I was looking to add the MUT to my Battle Rattle as a medic I can be asked to follow an infantry platoon as well as be required to fire my riffle. just trying to get some half descent kit compared to the standard Issued Gerber Multi tool that isn't worth a crap

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Makes sense. That sounds like my definition of working on a range :rolleyes:. If I'm going to get in my party clothes to go to a gunfight I'd want to bring my MUT.

maillet282 likes this.
  5. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

Love mine. But as mentioned it is big and the pocket clip will tear up anything you clip it to. Still a great tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Kems

Kems Empty Pockets

i dont have an AR15 should i pick MUT over OHT ?

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

I only carry my MUT when I'm on the range. YMMV -- if you have a use for things like the bronze scraper and the punch that don't include a rifle, rock on.

My LM collection is vast but I've never owned an OHT. I think it's big and heavy for the number of tools it has, and it doesn't seem that I would like the pliers as much as I do on other tools. But that's me. If you want one-handed opening pliers and they look like they would work well for you, go for it.

In the end, buy the one that seems best for you and sell if after using it you realize you made a mistake.

8. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I'm in the UK, so I don't have a safe full of AR's. Unfortunately!

I bought the MUT because at the time, it was the only leatherman with a hammer, and replaceable cutters.

The knife is ok, holds an edge, but not as good as other true knives I have, even with 'inferior' steels. I'm not a fan of the serrations either, but again, no choice.

The saw is great. Good for wood, and awesome for poly pipe.

The pliers are also great, rather dexterous for their size.

The long bit holder is a 2 way button. If carried in a pocket I found it can get pressed accidentally. I took to carrying it so the bits fell down into my pocket after I heard one pinging on the floor of a site I was on. Not the best. A pouch would probably solve that.

Strap cutter is fine. I used to use it for packaging straps on delivery crates. Not tried it on anything else, I use a knife!

The bolt extraction part isn't a good pry bar. The edge is too smooth, so struggles to open paint tins etc.

The punch is a handy pokey thing. Used it a few times for miscellaneous jobs.

The carbon scraper, see above. Incredibly soft though, and bends very easily. Probably best used as a carbon scraper...

To sum up, it was the only choice at the time for me for a big tool. And it is big, and heavy. If I was buying now, there are better choices, but if you are using it to play with an AR, it may be for you. It is a compromise though.

Last thing though, it really does look cool!

chaosmagnet likes this.