1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

~Leatherman Molle Sheath question?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Gears, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has used, or is using the Leatherman Molle Sheath (This one) ? If so does it attach vertically to a belt like the other LM sheaths? or do you need another clip or something to make it work?
    Also, does it have a spot for the bit holder? I am looking to replace the leather sheath that came with my Charge TTi, as it is getting worn out and I don't exactly trust the snap on it anymore.
    I am also looking at the Maxpedition single sheath as an option (which I am pretty sure doesn't come with a spot for the bit holder).
    Regards,
    -Gears

2. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

ok well, I kinda jumped the gun and bought one off of Fleabay. So I'll do a review once it gets here, just in case anyone else is interested. :shrug:
    -Gears

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I am looking forward to your review. Always wondered if the Leatherman molle sheath was higher quality than their current (junky IMHO) sheaths.

4. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

Hey Gears, got the sheath yet? I'm also interested in it's quality.

5. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple and they're OK, nothing special though. The only belt they'd fit on would be 1" or so. noisy Velcro that fluffs up easily and a funny tapered shape to the bottom that means not all of the potential depth of the sheath is used. Pluses are that it will hold an 8x25 monocular nicely and it's nicely low profile & unobtrusive. Much lower profile than the Maxp Single sheath and takes up less real estate.

The two things that annoy me the most are that it sits one row of PALS lower than all the Malice-clipped pouches I've got & so looks a bit daft, and on any sort of stiff bag (like Maxpedition stuff) it is a real pig to get the snap closure done up, and even harder to undo. For this reason I tend to only use them on my TAD Gear MOLLE Panel in a pack. Hope this helps. I can take some photos tomorrow if anyone would like.

6. yellowhammer

Found a couple of photos;

[img width=426 height=640]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/yellowhammer_01/cutlery%20and%20gear/for%20sale/MOLLEfront.jpg[/img]

[img width=425 height=640]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/yellowhammer_01/cutlery%20and%20gear/for%20sale/MOLLEback.jpg[/img]

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info, yellowhammer.

If you routed the strap on the back over the top loop and under the bottom loop, would you then be able to carry the sheath on a 1.5 inch waist belt?

8. yellowhammer

No worries mate :) You're right about putting it on a bigger belt, but it doesn't ever seem to sit quite right, and moves around a fair bit. Having said that, I hate having stuff on my belt so my opinion is not to be trusted. ;)

9. Gears

Gears Empty Pockets

Re: ~Leatherman Molle Sheath question? ~Now answered.

Yep I got it yesterday in the mail, and I agree with what Yellowhammer said, it doesn't sit in the molle sheath as nicely or as solidly as the leather one.
    ~Yes it will fit a 1.5 inch belt if you route it the way you suggested (I have a 1.5" TDU web belt and it works fine), though you will only have the one inch molle strap holding it, and that means you would have to rely on the snap button as well, IMHO I don't think it is as sturdy or will stay in place as well as the leather sheath. I am thinking about retrofitting a nylon webbing strap on the back to make a better belt loop, and adding some leather or neoprene on the inside (or elastic on the sides) so that the LM doesn't fall out if the flap is open. Or I might just stick with the leather sheath that came with it, might get something made by lifter's leather later on... or someone similar...

Also, ~Yes the Leatherman Molle Sheath does have a elastic pocket for the bit holder tray, how hard would it be for them to put that info on the product description page?

I am not too sure that the molle sheath warrants a review? I don't have a molle pack or belt, so I can't comment on that. I would imagine that it would be a good addition if you were a military type and had a molle chest rig or something where you could attach the sheath for easy access. I partially do not trust the molle sheath because of the lack of elastic on the sides of the sheath to hold the multitool in place, that could be remedied, but is it worth it? not sure. As Yellowhammer said also, the vecro is prone to wearing out, had I know that I would have thought twice about purchasing it. That could also be fixed buy adding some better velcro, like 3m duallock or something, or adding a snap button or two. Again, not sure if it's worth it? I probably wouldn't suggest it as a replacement for the leather or nylon sheath options that come with the charge series (that's what I have so I can only speak to that model) unless, as I said you need to attach it to a molle panel on a specific application.

Thanks for the pictures Yellowhammer !!!

I would be interested to know if someone reads this and has another aftermarket solution to a decent Leatherman or similar multitool sheath.. please pipe in if you do.
    Cheers!

10. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

Re: ~Leatherman Molle Sheath question? ~Now answered.

I've got one of these comming from CountyComm.

I think it will be a good way to keep my Leatherman attached to my Jumbo pack.

At $9, it's half the price of the Maxpedition single sheath. Seemed worth the risk.

I'll try to post some pics when it gets here.

-Greg

11. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

There are a number of quite good magazine pouches that fit Leatherman tools . Spec Ops , Blackhawk , Eagle , Bianchi , and Safariland to name but a few .

Chris

12. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

I personally like the LM sheaths.. The only one I don't like is the newer leather sheaths for the Kick/Fuse/Blast/Core.. They are terrible! But, I quite like the Wave, SURGE, and Charge sheaths.. Especially the leather Charge sheath! :)