1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

leatherman micra

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Aug 23, 2009.

1. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Does anyone have one of these I was thinking about getting one any thoughts. Likes and Dislikes

2. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

Look in the multitool board and do a search for Micra for many threads regarding it. Also, read this review on it.

With that said, many people will comment on the following:

Pros:
    longer tools, due to them being inside-opening
    good selection of tools
    excellent scissors
    Phillips blade effective, moreso than the E4's dedicated (and true) Phillips

Cons:
    you have to open the multitool to extract a tool
    tweezers are non-removable
    chisel grind on knife
    scissors can be somewhat difficult to sharpen

You may want to take a look between the Micra and the Squirt S4; the S4 has exterior-opening tools, albeit shorter ones, and has removable tweezers. Likewise, it comes in different colors due to the anodized aluminum scales, as opposed to the SS only in the Micra. Either way, you can't go wrong with either, they're excellent tools, although the Micra is cheaper, usually - there are good deals going on currently where you can get the S4 (or P4, or E4, too) for only a couple dollars more. *nods*

Also, I'm a Victorinox person through-and-through, and the Squirt/Micra line are the only multitools I'd still purchase from Leatherman, which is saying something. ;) I may've brought six (or seven?) SAKs for various jobs/roles at University, but nestled in my desk is a trusty Micra, too; for an urban/office EDCer, you really don't need much more beyond that, a Bic Mini, and a Photon/Fenix E01. :)

MrOG likes this.
  3. steelstr45

steelstr45 Loaded Pockets

It's a great tool. I think a lot of people here have one. The scissors are unbeatable. The rest of the tools are ok, but they're small which means they're limited to smaller tasks. With that said however, I've used the screwdrivers on just about every screw I've needed it for and it worked without breaking. I've even flexed the entire tool when trying to turn something and it didn't break. Just don't expect to be driving deck screws with this thing.

Also, you want to try and keep it clean. It's stainless steel, but it can still develop surface rust if you keep it in your moist pockets. It cleans right off though. After cleaning, use some wd-40 on all the moving parts, and your tool will come right back to new quality.

I would highly recommend you get one. I've used it more than I would have ever thought I would.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Very handy, but surface rust is an issue. I've owned several. The scissors work fine at first, then always bind up, then they go back to working fine again. No clue why it happens. Just always does. :shrug:

I don't have time to be constantly cleaning off the surface rust. It gets to be a pain. Lighthound.com sells a Leatherman sleeve for the Micra that does an excellent job of protecting the tool from surface rust. (Just type Leatherman into the search bar at that site). But any sleeve that covers the tool completely should work. The tweezers are fragile as Hell, but functional.

5. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=426]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/oct232008002Mediuma.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=426]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/may-6.jpg[/img]

6. crashbang

crashbang Empty Pockets

I carried one daily for a couple of years, and still have it. I think they're very well made and a good alternative to a Vic Classic SD. I switched to the Micra from a Classic SD for the scissors, but eventually switched back. In the end, I found the blades on both to be just a little too small for even my urban EDC needs, so I went to pocketing a regular SAK off the keychain.

7. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

8. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

I got mine $10 used. Its great to have scissors. Great backup when I need it. Much better than my Vic classic alox.

9. Sharpmint

Sharpmint Empty Pockets

I have some with the translucent blue handles.

Pros:
    +Scissors are the best on any multitool I've tried, EVER.
    +Its tweezers are actually attached to it. I'm looking at you, Victorinox.
    +One of the best selections of EDC tools available in a 2 ounce package: amazing scissors, passable small blade, tweezers, a flat driver (archaic yes, but still very useful), and a bottle opener.

Cons:
    -I wouldn't use any of the tools to pry like I would with comparably-weighed Victorinox knives, like the Cadet, Tinker, etc.
    -While quality is stellar, I still think Vics are built better.
    -Jack of all trades, master of none. Sans scissors. In almost every scenario, I would desire another tool.
    -Lacks a can opener. Minor gripe, but in a tool this small, it's possible to use it in lieu of another flat head.
    -You'll need a companion knife; the blade is puny. It's functional for most EDC tasks, though.

10. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I use the scissors a lot, it is better built than the scissors on an SAK. Occasionally I use the
    very small screwdrivers for light prying or screws. I have the stainless steel version, and it
    holds up well. I don't think the hinges for the implements can be tightened, but I haven't
    had anything loosen up on me, either. The blade is tiny and I don't really use it.

You'll be surprised how often you find a use for the scissors, I think. Because of its size
    the micra is very easy to carry. I have it on a belt lanyard so I don't lose it.

They came out with another model (Juice?) because you can't access the blade or
    other implements without opening the Micra. The Juice lets you open implements
    without opening (separating) the handles, I believe. There is also a choice of handle
    colors, if that is important to you, on the Juice.

It doesn't bother me to have to open the Micra to use it, especially since the
    construction protects the scissors, which I use most often. But to some people
    this is an important drawback.

11. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

That would be the 'Squirt' series.

The newer Micras also come in a variety of colors.

As for the knife blades on Micras, they are really small, but also come razor sharp, right out of the box. I don't use it for much, but it's nice to know that there's a sharp blade in there if I absolutely have to use it for something.

12. shecky

shecky Empty Pockets

If scissors are important to you, the Micra wins hands down with most other tools except maybe the Leatheman Squirt S4.

The Micra packs a lot of punch in a small, compact size. Even though more primitive, I prefer it to the fancier Squirts, which have stubbier screwdrivers. The flat Phillips on the Micra is better, IMO.

The biggest downside is that the implements take more effort to open compared with something like the Squirt series or small Victorinox SAKs. And there's a tendency for adjacent tools to "clump" together when opening.

Lots of connoisseurs dislike the blade because of the chisel grind. The real problem with the blade isn't the chisel grind, but the thick edge bevel used on that chisel grind. It's silly to give such a small blade a full flat grind, and then leave it with a relatively thick, not very acute edge bevel. If that blade is reprofiled as a full flat grind with a zero edge, or even just fully convexing the chisel edge side, it turns into a razor.

13. Sirvive

Sirvive Loaded Pockets

The Micra is a sweet little tool. I really like it but I just can't bring myself to putting it on my keychain. I have a Alox SAK classic for that.

It's a great tool that is worth its weight in gold. Buy one and you won't regret it.

14. brianch

brianch Empty Pockets

I really like my Micra. It's always useful to have a pair of decent sized scissors on you. The other tools are great as well. For the price you can't really complain... BTW I wouldn't buy it brand new. Search on eBay. Tons of used Micras for around 10 bux. I got 2 of them for 20$ shipped. One of them was a painted green in mint condition, which apparently is very rare now. Makes the deal that much sweeter. :highfive:

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I know which one you mean. I gave my dad one of those greenies back in the mid '90s. He promptly lost it! :rant:

Found a new function for the mini screwdriver on the end of the bottle-opener attachment. Used it as a mini prybar to remove the split-rings from my Fenix E01 and L0D models. (Wanted the E01's split-ring on my L0D.) Not only was it a much needed tool for removing the split-rings, but even more necessary for being able to attach one of them onto my L0D. The hole for mounting a split-ring has too much metal above it. At other times, I've used the end of the bottle-opener attachment as an awl for adding new notches on my leather belts after losing some weight, and inches from my waist. Makes for a good, improvised, awl. But there's a lot of twisting and pushing involved.