1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Juice S2 issues

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Arkansas_Ranger, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Arkansas_Ranger

Arkansas_Ranger Empty Pockets

So today I got the gray Juice S2. I like it. I ordered it for the pliers, screwdriver, and scissors. It was a good price, and I knew I could carry it in my pocket. The size is nice. I have a Super Tool that lives in the console of my truck.

The phillips screw driver is very difficult to pull out, and the more I do it the seemingly harder it gets. The lanyard ring can only be gotten out with some kind of instrument, but that's fine since I don't want it anyway.

About two hours after getting it I tried to use the can opener which I have no need for either but figured what the heck. I tried to cut into the can lid, and the can opener bent backwards, and a piece of metal pushed out the other end of the handle. I used a tac hammer to tap it back down and then a counter sink to get it flush where it originated. If I get any other issues I'll sent it back for warranty service. I'm not impressed, but it'll serve it's intents and purposes.

I typically carry a SAK and a Kershaw Leek, but I've had the SAK for 21 years. It's still a gem, and I fear losing it. That couple with the rare need for pliers or scissors I bought the Juice.

2. HybridMomentsPass

sounds like a lemon, it happens
    send it back, they'll take care of you and you'll have no more issues

3. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

if you really want to use the combo tool as a can opener i would suggest sharpening it. works much better that way, and still opens bottle tops just fine.

4. Arkansas_Ranger

Nah, I don't plan to open any cans with it. I don't need it for anything really. I can open bottles with my hand as can most of us. I just wanted to play with it since it was new.

5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

For the can opener to do something like that there sounds like there is a problem somewhere in the tool.

Return it to wherever you bought it, or send it back to Leatherman and you should get a replacement/repair without too much worry.

6. Fusebox

Fusebox Empty Pockets

I agree with sending it back to leatherman or returning it to wherever you bought it even. I have had a juice s2 for almost 5 years now with no issues. I even accidentally left it covered in water for a week and it never had a hint of rust.

I do recall when I first bought mine that the phillips driver was hard to get out. But I wouldn't worry about that, they loosen up with use. Oil it a lot also and play with it, it'll loosen.

Good luck!

7. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I have a Juice S2 and am not surprised at your experience - I don't think it's a one-off lemon. LM has some great designs but the quality, materials and workmanship of their product is lacking - JMHO, and not trying to start a flame war. If you can bear a bit more weight and size, I'd recommend the Victorinox Spirit. I really wish Victorinox would put out competing products to LM's Juice and Squirt sizes, as I very much favor the plier/multi-tool design over the multi-blade pocket-knife design. Have to credit LM for inventing(?) it.

8. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Sometimes I get the impression that maybe I am the luckiest of Leatherman owners. Out of eight currently in rotation and dozens more passing through over the years, I have experienced none of the problems I see posted here so regularly... no rust, implements stuck, broken castings, nothing that required service other than resulting from my own abuse. Back when I was still experimenting with different makes, I tried both a Swisstool and Spirit. No question about it, Vic makes a very refined product, but for me, Leatherman tools have been a better fit for serious work.

9. Fusebox

Fusebox Empty Pockets

To each his own. I prefer the leatherman's myself just because they fit what I am looking for. Heck, if you are looking for a good mid-sized multi-tool. Head to target. They have the LM blast for 35 bucks on clearance near me. I own a blast and love it. You have to realize that the steel isn't going to be as good of quality, but heck for 35 bucks it cant be beat. I'm always carrying a better quality blade anyway so I don't care about the tool's blade so much.

10. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

Personally, I think some people just tend to expect too much of their multitools. They are, after all, meant for convenience and versatility over strength.

I've abused my Charge a bit (bending thick stainless steel wire, putting too much torque on the bits, etc.), and I've had some play work into the pliers but no major failures. Maybe I'm just more careful when I notice I'm pushing it.

11. Arkansas_Ranger

Yep, I was watching the Cotton Bowl last night, and when it came time to open another bottle I thought, "I'll try my new Leatherman to do this!" The can/bottle opener again bent backwards, and piece of metal popped out the opposite end of the handle. I'm sending it back.

12. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at my LM Juices again. I've been carrying an S2 for years and recently switched it out with a C2 (with the corkscrew removed), but I don't recall ever using the bottle/can opener on either one of them. I very seldom ever need a bottle opener (maybe once or twice a year at most), but do use a can opener more often. If the can opener tool on my Juice isn't able to serve its intended purpose, I'll probably cut/grind it off my C2 to save weight and put a little P38 can opener in the mint tin kit where I keep my Juice and a few other EDC items.

13. Arkansas_Ranger

I have absolutely no use for the can or bottle opener either. I've yet to meet a bottle I can't just open with my hand, and I don't open that many anyway. If I need a can opener I'll use my Faberware one in the drawer. I just wanted the little pliers, scissors, and screw drivers. I'm wanting to let my SAK rest in its golden years.

14. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

I've used the bottle opener on my CS4 several times and never had a problem. Must be a QC issue.

15. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

Yeah, send it in, but when you get it back, take a Dremel and carefully and slowly put a bevel on that can opener, otherwise, it will never open cans worth a darn. For some unknown reason, Leatherman doesnt sharpen these up at all, gives the juice a bad name because of it.

16. Arkansas_Ranger

If I did sharpen that tool would it render the warrany null and void?

17. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

Looks like we have similar experiences. I've carried two Juice models and one Squirt for the past 10 years and I've had none of the problems that others mention. Maybe LM's are the one part of my life that I actually have good luck in.

18. znapschatz

If you think about it, maybe you can come up with others. With me, in addition to perfect Leathermen, I have the knack of finding parking spots under conditions of intense competition, often amazing my friends. Also, I have been lucky in love :smitten: . As for money...well, a person can't have all the luck :sigh: .

19. znapschatz

Doubtful. Done properly, it shouldn't even be noticeable. Once, I sharpened the can opener on a CS4 that eventually needed service because of a bone-header on my part. Clearly, the tool was sprung by abuse, but despite that and the "mod," it was repaired and returned without charge or comment. Nice.

20. Enzo01

Enzo01 Loaded Pockets

Let me pile on.....yes, send it back. I've had my S2 for 18 months, carry it every day and use it almost every day. Fantastic multi tool. Someone must have had an off day at the Leatherman factory when they made yours.