1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Crater

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Stranger, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I just ordered my first Leatherman knife, the Crater C33TX, in black oxide. I never really took a close look at Leatherman knives. I was always a fan of Benchmade, SOG, Buck, and other long time favorites. Whenever a company famous for one thing gets into another market, I get skeptical. I think "You're doing what? But you make multi-tools!" It takes me a while to warm up to things sometimes. I'm looking forward to its arrival.

Hangman likes this.
  2. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

I have the c33Tx in bead blast and it's a great little knife. My only complaints are that the handle is a funny shape and the screwdriver bits don't snap closed like the tools on a SAK do. Other than that it's my main EDC for when I'm in a small knife mood or when I can't carry my heavier knives, like when I'm wearing basketball shorts or sweatpants.

3. BobsBargains

BobsBargains Banned

Good luck with it.

Hopefully they have improved the quality of their knives over the years.

I had one of the first models they brought out, developed lock rock fairly quickly and also side to side blade movement. For the price i paid i couldn't complain too much.

OG's don't wear adjustable hats

4. Matthew Hess

Matthew Hess Loaded Pockets

5. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

My Crater arrived in the mail today. Customs opened it, and did a lousy job of resealing it. Opening it was like opening a paper lunch bag. Nothing was stolen or damaged. The seller claimed the contents were worth $20, and the invoice inside said the knife was $38USD. I'm sure customs read that. The seller wrote "METAL FOLDING HANDY TOOL" for the contents description, obviously trying to evade customs. No wonder they opened it.:nah_disagree: Anyway, it was released with no charges.

So here it is, along with my Surge, for size comparison, and my old and new Enduras. I have carried the two Enduras for about 20 years, consecutively. The new Endura is probably 10 years old, and is being replaced by the Crater for EDC, the difference being that I plan to actually use the blade on the Crater. I also expect to use the screw drivers on the Crater more than those on my Surge or SAK, not that I'm even thinking about discontinuing those for EDC.

[​IMG]
    I think the lens on my Canon A640 is playing tricks here, because of the macro feature. I should take normal pics and crop them.

I was always afraid to use the Endura, because the blade edge was just too 'precious' to me to damage or wear out, partly because it is serrated and harder to sharpen. My real reason for carrying it was just for an emergency, like being attacked by a wild dog or something. Just the thought of being without a decent knife was unthinkable. For my whole adult life I have wanted a Police Model, but never bothered to spend the money (I still want one). I love that large, intimidating blade.

[​IMG]

The problem with such a large blade, like on the Endura, is that it's more blade than I need. The blade on the Crater is more practical. I always loved the dimensions of the Endura. The thickness is just right. The Crater is thicker than I expected, and a little short for my liking; but again, the blade is just right.

Here is the Endura and Crater, side by side, for comparison:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I was seriously considering switching from the Endura to the SOG Trident folder with the new assisted opening blade, but with the shorter blade, and the screwdriver tools, this is more useful to me. That SOG is still on my want list.

vegassprky likes this.
  6. Matthew Hess

How do you like the blade launching mechanism? Is it sticky at all for you? I have good days and bad days.
    I'm always flicking the bottle opener/carabiner when I'm standing around.

I like the size of it in that I can still jam my hands in my pockets and it doesn't take up the majority of the opening or grind my hand on the way in.

7. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I have opened it all the way with one flick a couple of times, but there is a fair bit of friction. It's not easy to fully open. I don't find it too large for my pocket. It would be nice if the smaller size helped me to avoid giving a threatening impression if I'm ever stopped and questioned by police about what's in my pockets. A Police Model would give a much worse impression. It's sad that we even have to concern ourselves with such things. Searches don't make me feel safer.

Next time I'm out and about, I'll have to buy a bottle of Coke, or Stewart's root beer, just to try the bottle opener. I forgot about that feature.

8. DillePickle

DillePickle Loaded Pockets

Have the c33 couldn't pass up a 420hc blade for he price I paid , it's a good little work knife . Just wish the thumb stud was a little bigger and longer, and gimping would be awesome but hey for 16 bucks it's a good deal

Stranger likes this.
  9. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I think $100, or $150 pocket folders are great, but not for EDC. Like I said, I love the new SOG folders, but it's just a knife. My Crater is not just a knife. With shipping and currency exchange, it cost me $60. That's a little steep for what I got, but that's the market right now. It wouldn't have been any better if I bought it in Canada.

I never used my Endura. A serrated blade has limited uses, as much as I like it. I think this Crater is a better pick for daily use.

10. Matthew Hess

I don't mind paying a premium (for me that's no more then $150) for something I'm going to use. As long as it's built to take abuse and doesn't suffer from major mechanical failures from a little pocket fuzz or exposure to a little water.

11. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I paid about $100 for each of my Leatherman multi-tools. I don't mind paying that much for any tool if I use it as much as my Surge or ST300. Those are essential tools. If Leatherman made a larger version of the Crater that cost $100, I would probably buy it. A knife that is just a knife is barely useful to me.

12. GurbZ

GurbZ Loaded Pockets

By way of a miscommunication, I ended up with a Leatherman Crater C33, the guy helping me heard "C" instead of "E". It was busy in the store so I didn't bother to check it, also I haven't really bought many knives in person (lesson learned). I can't say I was disappointed with knife itself, for the 20ish bucks I paid it was alright.

It ended up being the perfect first knife for my cousin's husband along with his first light a Fenix E11.

Not too long after I got the knife I intended to get, the Leatherman Expanse E33L, which is basically an upgraded(has 154CM steel)version of the Crater. I also have the Leatherman Expanse E55. I would say both are pretty decent for budget folders, oh and carabiner/bottle opener does work according to the brews it popped ;)

13. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I can just imagine joining a group of guys, and as one hands me a beer, five different bottle openers are thrust in my direction, never mind that I have five or six in my pockets, on my belt or on my keychain. They'd all be competing for me to let them open my beer. I know we're all like that; I've done it myself.