1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman buys PocketToolX

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by enki_ck, Jul 18, 2012.

1. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Last edited by enki_ck, Jul 18, 2012
    gstojinovic likes this.
  2. Coup de Grace

Coup de Grace Uber Prepared

I believe the tools are along the same standard as those made by LM. I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

3. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman has proven to be one of the best companies out there in terms of products and service, so I don't see how it could be a bad thing. Good for the PocketToolX guys.

IMightBeWrong likes this.
  4. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I think PocketToolX gets the power of LM marketing and LM steps into a market they never did too much in. They tried with the carabiner in the wingman/sidekick line and the z-rex but this seems like a step in the right direction.

TomWelch likes this.
  5. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

THAT's what they've been doing all this time. PTX was really quiet for a while now.

I love their Pirahana and it's been super useful around the shop. Hope to see some new developments from LM and PTX combined!

Also, This means I may be able to get my hands on one of those Wrex limited edition PTX tools now!

Kraid likes this.
  6. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

Hm... Don't know what to think... It sure is win-win situation, though I'd wait and see what will they come up with??

ATF628 and Kraid like this.
  7. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

these are the guys that made multitool a household name.. hope they do same for pocket and Keychain tools

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

8. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

Did not know Pocketoolx was a US made and manufactured biz... huh. Hope this does good things for both companies!

whoozle likes this.
  9. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

I own both a few LM's and a Piranha and like both a lot. Really curious what tools will come out of this deal.

10. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hope LM continues making them here in the US and not outsourced. That was my draw to them and the fact they were Headquartered here in WA.

11. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

It would be nice to see LM pair a Pirahna with a multitool as a combo pack.

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Hopefully they won't develop rust issues like those common to Leatherman tools.

13. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

When I asked, "Could I ask if the PocketToolX products previously sold will be covered under Leatherman's warranty? I don't have any broken ones, but I did just purchase 4 more Piranhas on Sunday. Also, can you share if they'll still be made in the same place/by the same people and if the materials will stay the same? P.S. I've love to see another run in Ti, with the Leatherman name. :)"

Leatherman responded, "Everything will stay the same and Leatherman will honor the warranty for PocketToolX tools under that name. The new tools will be under the Leatherman name."

gstojinovic likes this.
  14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I almost hope they will move the production to china, it will make them alot cheaper and more avilable in eu and asia

15. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

It extends Leatherman's product line and gives PocketoolX major marketing opportunities. Good deal all around.

16. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I sure hope LM doesn't move production to China. They have great F&F, QC, and I like that they're American made. Would hate to see that change.
    ETA: I think LM's prices are fair too.

ATF628 and hatchetjack like this.
  17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Offshoring leads to bad attitudes.
    Although I believe Chinese industry can make high quality products, my personal experience with knives and multi-tools previously made in USA but manufacture shifted to China has been that the Chinese products were inferior to the original. This was true of Swiss-Tech, IDL and Gerber, among others. It also seems that some of the imports that have no direct US counterparts are likewise lacking. Yes, the Tenacious is a well made piece for the money, but it doesn't match US and Japanese made Spydercos. Okay, it's a price point issue, but it seems that when production moves overseas for cheap labor, other corners are also cut. It is a slippery slope, as if the companies, once having made the decision to screw their workers, are less reluctant to do the same to their customers.

I have no illusions that as an individual I can influence business trends, but as at least a symbolic gesture, wherever there is a choice, especially in knives and multi-tools, I buy American.
    Well, maybe a SAK, now and then :redface: .

ATF628, trickyhero and powerring like this.
  18. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

This sounds like a great combo. I like the Brewzer a lot and it has found a permanent place on my keychain. I'm happy to see that the product line will go on. Under Leatherman's watch, I trust manufacturing will stay U.S. based.

gstojinovic likes this.
  19. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I shoulda kept my 154CM Brewzer.

ATF628 likes this.
  20. Kontractor

Kontractor Loaded Pockets

Normally, when a subpar company buys another company with good products, I really worry. For this occasion, I'm happy with my LM tools and I think they will truely do it justice... I hope :)