1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman bit kit with multitool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by xxecatxx, Jan 1, 2010.

?

What Leatherman tool should I get?

1. Charge TTi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wave

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Surge

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xxecatxx

xxecatxx Empty Pockets

I'm looking to get a learherman tool with Christmas money I got. I'm also planning on getting the bit kits with it, so I'm wondering what the best tool for the money is, and any other advice. The skeletool is out because it doesn't have enough tools on it for the value and the pliers aren't sturdy enough. Thanks everyone for your Input.

2. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

skeletool :D

3. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

Well, what are you going to be using the tool for? the wave and the charge TTi are almost identical tool-wise, you get a crimper on the charge that the wave doesn't have. the wave is lighter and a bit smaller than the charge. I have carried both the original Charge Ti and the original Wave and i like the titanium handles better than the stainless steel ones but the charge doesn't come in black oxide.

Charge TTi
    Crimper +1
    Titanium handles +1
    Weight -1
    Total 1

Wave
    Lighter&Smaller +1
    Black Oxide available +1
    Total 2

Surge
    Huge -1
    Interchangeable Blade +1
    Total 0

I say go for the wave unless you really like the titanium handles. although these days i carry a skeletool and have a Charge TTi in my bag.

4. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

ah... didn't see your original part about the skeletool part... you should see if you could get a good deal on a skeletool on amazon or from someone, because unless you are doing a ton of work with your leatherman the skeletool is a solid tool. I also will sometimes bring along my juice if i want more tools, is a good managable size and has a ton of tools but no bit set unless you get the adapter. But ultimately up to you. I've heard good things about the Charge TTi, and again depends on the application. If its for pocket edc consider size, weight, etc. However if you are throwing it in a bag weight and size can become less of an issue, and it seems like freedoom really gave you some nice advice right there so up to you :) hope this helps!

5. DaveK67

DaveK67 Loaded Pockets

As a strictly logical "bang for your buck" question - the Wave has the most features for the least money of the three you've mentioned.

If it's definitely a Leatherman you want - get the Wave!

6. bobrip

bobrip Loaded Pockets

If you don't want a Leatherman, get it anyway. They make the best multitools. Leathernan has an optional bit kit with a lot more bits. It has 42 bits. Also the bit adapter is very nice.

7. Rustolium

Rustolium Loaded Pockets

I recomend the Gerber Scout(I beleive that is the name) It's the smaller version of the original. Knife, philips, medium flathead/bottle opener, can opener, small flathead, large flathead, scissors. It can have a bit kit, which uses standard 1/4 drive bits so you can customize as need be. I have used the serrated portion of the knife to remove a stuck plug in a fuel pump by sawing a slot for a flathead screwdriver. The whole deal is quality.

8. Jeriah

Jeriah Empty Pockets

I have the Wave and it has served me well in every way. I don't have the bit kit but I want it. I recommend the Wave, without hesitation.

9. xxecatxx

xxecatxx Empty Pockets

I currently have the swisstool x without the ratchet. Do you think I will notice a quality difference between the swisstool and a leatherman?

10. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

I voted "other".

I'd choose between the Surge and the Crunch.

11. bobrip

bobrip Loaded Pockets

It's my impression that all of the extra "quality" in the Swiss tools are appearance related. Leatherman tools are made to be used not just bragged about. Leatherman puts a lot of effort in the useability. Examples.

Large scissors that are designed to cut tough items like tie wraps

Scissors springs that don't break so they don't need to be consumer replaceable.

Phillips bit that fits #1 and #2 (One bit).

Bit extender that has grip knurling on it so that you can use it by hand. It also fits common hex bits.

The bits are small to reduce weight and size.

The file is diamond coated for longer life. On the Surge you can remove it and sharpen your blade.

The screw driver bits actually fit common screw sizes.

The pliers are actually very useful.

I work on building and grounds at Church and I use my Surge every day.

12. Larwyn

Larwyn Loaded Pockets

I have used a lot of different multi tools over the years. The features that I have found useful, in order of frequency of use, are; the pliers, screw drivers, wire cutter, and the file. I used the original leatherman for several years after I found that the Gerber which was available at the time would invariably pinch the palm of my hand if I used the pliers. After I discovered the SOG Pocket Power Plier with it's compound leverage grip, it has remained my favorite, even over the full size Power Pliers and the Leatherman Wave which I acquired after the smaller pocket version of the SOG (which I always wear on my belt). I also have an older Buck that is close in size to the original Leatherman and the SOG Pocket Plier but it absolutely requires two hands to open, making it inconvenient to deploy. I should note that I also carry a Leatherman Micra in addition to the SOG. I carry the Micra mostly for the scissors but it is sometimes handy to have a screwdriver in one hand and pliers in the other. The scissors on my old Micra have cut hundreds of ty-wraps over the years yet they are still not dull or bent out of shape.

Just thought you might be interested in what I choose to carry when I have all the above available to me any time I wish to change things up. I do sometimes carry a Juice S2 instead, but usually it is the SOG Pocket Power Plier, the Leatherman Micra, and an old Uncle Henry stockman's pocket knife. I have never considered the blade on a multi tool as a primary knife. These tools saved me thousands of steps back to my service truck back before I retired.