1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman Bit Kit *SECURITY BITS*!?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by skygear, Aug 28, 2019.

?

Security Half Bits for Leatherman

1. Good Idea, I'm in

100.0%
  2. Good Idea, but not useful to me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bad Idea, Whatcha Smokin'!?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

I have had an Idea for years and have made a couple bits. Wanted to run the idea past other people and then maybe contact a company, or if Leatherman did an official run, about making these. Made my first modified bit in 2007ish?

Ok - The Idea.

1. Take the Half Bits that come with the tools and make security bits out of them.
    .. This didn't work too well due to the hard steel and lack of milling/ drilling access to make the holes.

2. second try. Use full sized bits and modify them.
    .. got a cheap set of Harbor freight Security bits. Used a grinder and a belt sander to remove the material to get the proper form factor. These worked. Sort of. They are too shallow based on the depth of the double sided bits and slide down too far.

3. Ok, compromise for now. Use the Leatherman Bit Adapter (Half bit to regular 1/4" drive)
    ... This works for now. I removed some of the Leatherman half bits and replaced them with the single modified security bits.

Easier to manage and keep track of. These half bits also fit in regular 1/4" driver tools.

Anyways. Thoughts? I realize most people have no use for this. But it would be interesting to have double sided Spanner Bits #6 & #10 on one and #4 & #8 on another. Security Torx and Security hex drive.

Strength of these bits wouldn't be an issue. We are using themes hand tool and operating them manually using our hands. they shouldn't be any less durable than anything else currently offered and if you are breaking them. You should probably use another tool to remove or tighten whatever faster you are working on.

I also Understand that this most likely belongs in DIY. Still, It is a multitool accessory specifically for Leatherman.

ran23 and Revj like this.
  2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Frankly, Leatherman's half bits are an abomination and should be illegal. Just my personal opinion. I have ground down a few real bits to fit the Leatherman holder, but I gave up on the newer tools completely and went back to the original Wave.

skygear likes this.
  3. JuanelBoricua

JuanelBoricua Empty Pockets

I'm in for the leatherman's. My main use is in light torque applications and, if regular bit kit is good, why would the security-type be any different. I'm also aware of their limitations (ie.: not-for-everyday-pounding-on-them-work-tools) so I find it a great idea. Good luck on your endeavor, skygear.

skygear likes this.
  4. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

I agree to an extent. People beat on them and kill em. I haven't broken one yet. Most of the stuff I need them for are light duty, fastner through plastic into a metal sleeve. Just hand tightened or snug. Not removing and driving 3"-6" fastners in and out of fences. Or rusted fastners. Small electronics.

5. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

I could always cut, weld, and grind to what I need. Got the generic Leatherman response. The other day too.

I'll keep pounding the dirt and maybe get a contact in the other department or a source for making the bits.
    [​IMG]

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've seen a lot of similar opinions. My experiences have been better. Roadside bike repair, electronics, 19" networking rack screws, deck screws, and much more have been successfully tightened and loosened by my LM flat bits. They're certainly a compromise, and if I have a dedicated screwdriver I'll use it, but I like them a lot.

skygear likes this.