1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Leatherman bit extender crossbar?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by RogerStenning, Jun 7, 2020.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'm considering buying a Leatherman Wave+. One thing I'm wondering is if anyone makes a t-bar/crossbar handle for the bit extender? It's not a show stopper, but it would extend (pun!) the use of the bits considerably, without adding measurably to the weight of the full kit on the belt.

2. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'm guessing this is a "result not known" kind of thing, then. Hmm.

How about a Leatherman 2D hex bit (male) to 3D Hex (male), then?

3. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

#3 FiaOlleDog, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    RogerStenning likes this.
  4. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Nice try, but no, I'm looking for the other way around. The 2D shank of the bit extender has a rep, so I'm told, for messing up the 1/4" 3D socket on ratchet drivers, hence the search for an adaptor.

5. houndawg

houndawg Empty Pockets

I’ve found that the bit extender fits pretty well in the slot on the Leatherman Brewzer. It’s not a substitute for a good screwdriver but it’s better than nothing.

6. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

A tad small to get a good grip, I suspect. I'm now looking at the possibility of the Chapman CM-13; Brownells have a UK arm, and I should be able to order one through them.

7. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I was going to suggest a mini ratchet as they work well with the leatherman bit extender. I’m not sure you need to source the Chapman though. Topeak (bike tools) and Bosch both make mini ratchets that are both light and well made. I actually modified the topeak a while back by cutting of the end socket (not ratchet). Super light and tiny but still decent leverage. But these days I just prefer the simplicity of a Skeletool and sometimes bit extender. Open out the other plier arm to a right angle and it gives a very good, lever with the tool top in your palm.

8. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I've got a Topeak set already, but that's in a different EDC tool pouch, and I'm loath to move it across. Do you know what model the Bosch one is?

9. m68

m68 Empty Pockets

The Bosch mini ratchet is only available in kits if I know well, but there are many configurations. I have the Bosch 2607017322 version, which is a decent one with an affordable price.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Tapatalk

10. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Timely reply, as it happens. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Chapman CM-13s at just under a tenner each (plus a fiver or so in postage) through Brownells UK retail outlet. They should be here in a week or so. I've bought two, as I'll hold one in reserve in case I lose or break the other ;)

11. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

I've actually considered making a 3D printed one in glass reinforced Nylon that could take the strain. I think its a bit too much of a corner case atm. If you make a minor modification to a Leatherman style it can easily become a handle for the extender. I've already done this three times to great success.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-7F0UOD6Q6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

12. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I did look at getting such a converter piece 3D printed in metal (sintering), but it's not likely to be strong enough, and would fracture under stress/torque. Getting the piece machined, whether manually or by CNC (I can produce the drawings easily enough) is, however, far too expensive here in the UK, and nowhere near cost-effective :(

So, a dedicated converter piece is currently out of the question. Something of a shame, that :(

I'm currently awaiting the Chapman spanners I ordered from Brownells, which are taking a wee bit longer to obtain than I hitherto thought. International shipping has really slowed down :(