1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Learn to sew your own?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Just Matt, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Just Matt

Just Matt Empty Pockets

How hard would it be to learn to sew my own bags and pouches. I'm interested in making some custom pieces in 1000D nylon (similar to Maxped/EMDOM USA/TAD style) and have no experience in sewing. I don't expect to be able to pick it up on the first try but I would like to learn. Any help to point me in the right direction would be great.

2. wpowell

wpowell Loaded Pockets

3. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

You might also want to talk to Stormtracker... he's been around the forum for awhile and sews his own.

He has sold a gear organizer HERE,

and is preparing to offer a small EDC bag soon HERE.

I bought one of the organizers, and it's very fine work.

Good luck

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Its part skill and a large part very good machines. I have been modding and making some of my own gear for years, I learned how to sew in my high school Home Ec class(what?? I was the only dude in a class full of chicks :-X). My limiting factor is my machine won't handle more than 4 layers of cordura, I am saving for a nice used industrial right now. If you do not have any sewing skills I would suggest finding a sewing store in the area like Joanns fabrics and taking their basics classes. Watch craigslist for a cheap starter machine and go for it.

P.S. If you do go over an join DIY Tactical's forum be cool they are nice guys but have little tolerance for :censored:, READ THE RULES TWICE.

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Turn your existing bags inside out and study the way they are made, which pieces get sewn together first and which ones after etc. Draw plans, think them over, redraw and think again. Then start practising, maybe with some cheaper material.

And remember: think thrice before measuring twice before cutting once.

6. Just Matt

Just Matt Empty Pockets

I'll def head on over to DIY Tactical and check it out. Stormtracker looks like he knows how to put some nice kit together, thats kinda what i'm looking to do.

7. Hally

Hally Empty Pockets

A Week ago I got a Bernina 830 Record a 20 Year old veteran but still running like hell. So I sewed me some bike bags out of an old east German military shelter tarp not pretty but functional. One tip make templates for every part from paper or card board you can put it together wit glue strips to see if it works but donĀ“t forget to ad some extra space for the seam!
    What sewing machine do you use Synaptic Misfire?
    P.s. Will post pictures of the bags later,I have to buy some hardware to finish them!

8. flash_bang

flash_bang Loaded Pockets

I started getting interested a year or three ago, a bit of a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it. ;D

9. Hally

Hally Empty Pockets

Here are some pics of the stuff I made recently Itsmade out of stuff lying around to practice sewing.
    Bikebag front
    [​IMG]
    backside
    [​IMG]
    and a cap
    [​IMG]

10. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nice work Hally! Talk about jumping in the deep end!!

My first custom piece ever was a harness for paintball. Before you all laugh understand the game of paintball was invented in 1981 and I started playing in 88 when air tanks were mere legends and plastic cigar tubes of paint held 10 rounds of the 100 you paid $20 for to play ALL day long. Gear was limited to a few custom harness that were rarer than constant air and military surplus which lent itself poorly to the game. I cut up a few shotgun bandoleers and reassembled them with SRB's into a chest rig that held...are you ready for this?? 200 rounds of paint and 10 12 gram CO2 cartridges. I was actually asked why I carried so much paint at one time!! I actually could not afford to fill it up so I bought black tubes and kept half of them empty. Later I scrap built a vest to hold the new fangled 75 round Indian Springs loaders. It had 6 mag pouches across the front, a radio pouch on the back and two GP pouches for cleaning supplies etc. It was FUGLY but worked like a charm. I retired it when we got sponsored and had shiny new harnesses bought for us that could hold 800 rounds and spare air tanks that we would use in a 15 minute game!!

Jeebus I am getting old that whole story smacked of the "walked 15 miles to school and loved it" storied my Dad told :lolhammer:

11. Hally

Hally Empty Pockets

:winkwink: Nice story synaptic misfire I thought about starting it half a decade later when it swapped over to Germany, but the lack of Money and playing fields and the bad reputation of running around with things that shoot and wearing camo suits stopped me starting it.
    The first playing fields where raided by swat teams because some neighborhood stupids called the police that some suspicious persons running around with weapons! Now back to sewing do you have some pictures of your let's call it Art? PICTURES I WANT PICTURES! :idiot2: Ups sorry :-X

12. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Wouldn't have been a Maverick would it? Or a Sheridan p-68? I still own a Maverick and it still shoots like a charm. Had a p-68 sc and I remember those cigar tubes of paint.

Sorry to thread jack, but had to comment.

13. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hally no pics and all that old gear is gone due a period in my life we will call the great cataclysm or some just call the 8 years I spent with HER :brickwall:

Revs, first marker paintgun(screw this new PC crap) was.....a splatmaster :woohoo: about fifteen minutes later I bought a used Nightmare 68 short barrel. Ran that beast for years until semi-autos hit the market. Bought a Tippmann 68 special and ran it until it croaked, replaced that with a custom Automag from Hurricane paintball. I quit playing in the late 90's and have since busted my self up to the point where I could not play without being in serious pain.