1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LCR22?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Will W., Oct 23, 2012.

1. Will W.

Will W. Empty Pockets

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the LCR in 22lr, I am intrigued by the little revolver and I am considering dumping the Taurus 94 that I have. The question I guess I have is about using it as a get home kind of weapon. I usually carry a 3rd Gen Glock19 with a couple of mags which is fine but I really like the idea of the size of this little Ruger and the extreme portability of ammo. I know I will get a lot of flack about the 22 being a worthless round in a carry piece but I am pretty smitten with the cost and the ease with which you can carry a lot of rounds in a backpack with little to no impact on overall weight. That and no more magazines to rotate. So let me know what you think, both about the gun and it's purpose beyond a training piece.

2. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Ruger > Taurus :p but seriously, I think the ruger's light package and lack of stacking trigger pull make it a superior carry piece. I've always asserted that if it were a 22 mag, or better yet, a convertible, I would own one. :D

3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I would love it if it was a .22 magnum. You'd get almost all the same benefits with lethality way past a normal .22

I do see your point of view. Having a sidearm that allows you to carry hundreds of rounds of ammo easily sounds great. But I think it would be better suited in a BOB or vehicle bag, not as a carry piece. Also, I'd prefer something in the 4" range with better sights.

You can do almost the same things with your G19. Carry your and a spare G17 mag and stick one of those massive 31 round magazines in your bag. That more than a full box of ammo right there.

4. Will W.

Will W. Empty Pockets

Yeah a 22 mag would be great but then I'm back to not being able to carry around a couple hundred rounds for about the cost and weight of a used hardcover book.

evolutionglitch likes this.
  5. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

That's why I want a convertible... just swap cylinders... 2 calibers are better than one :p

Will W. likes this.
  6. Will W.

Will W. Empty Pockets

I agree, Charter Arms makes one and it's pretty small but I guess somehow the lcr just seems really well packaged.

7. jkwrangler08

jkwrangler08 Empty Pockets

I don't have any personal experience with the little Ruger, but I did come across this on GunBlast the other day.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR3.htm

While the article is about the Ruger LCR in general, Jeff talks about the 22 caliber model quite a bit.

8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I think its also relevant that the .38 special LCR is the lightest model. May not be a big deal for a carry gun, but for some people and the BOB, every ounce counts.

9. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

I have both the 22 and 38. I suffer with the problem as to which to carry. If I'm out in the woods the 22 is a sure winner. I also agree that the 22 will make a nice get home gun. When you throw in the weight of ammo and amount that one will carry. If you have any other questions about the LCRs just ask.

10. cyberhh

cyberhh Loaded Pockets

Caveman, Do you (or have you had) an equivalent revolver by S&W and if so, how does the LCR compare? I have the 642 in .38 and would love to find a .22 that is equivalent.

Thanks

11. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

I have had three 38 S&W revolvers, all stubs. The LCR has a smooth trigger out of the box. After I compared the four, I traded in all three Smiths. The LCR has a different grip and feel that you may or may not like. For a 38 it shoots great. Now back to the 22 question. I always shoot the LCR 22 when me and my son go out shooting and love it. Again it has a different feel than the Smiths. These two pistols are the lightest I have owned. My pair compliment each other, making practice cheap. I like them, but I have to say the standard phrase "The best advice I can give is to go try them out if you can" They are easier to pack around for the day.

12. Will W.

Will W. Empty Pockets

I like the idea of the 22 LCR as an all around little gun. I love that you can put it in a backpack, a cargo pocket or in a good pocket holster and forget about it until you need it. I decided I like it so much that I went and put one on layaway yesterday, it always speeds the decision making process when I have something on layaway.

13. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Was your decision based only on feel?

14. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

No, not really. I did alot of research over youtube, gun rags, and reviews. You will find that your grip is higher, which translates to a less perceived recoil. I can shoot the 22 and pick up the 38 and not notice any major recoil. The trigger on the 22 is a little more , lets say stiffer or heaver than the 38. But you will not notice unless you have them side by side.