1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LCR .357?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by huh, Sep 14, 2017.

1. huh

huh Loaded Pockets

I have been a revolver fan since I got my first firearm. Even though I now have multiple semi-automatics, revolvers still feel closer to my heart and get more range time than my HK and Glock. I got my carry permit early this summer. My current carry pistol is a Polish P-64 with a reduced hammer spring. As the weather gets cooler, I am planning to carry a revolver. I have a 2.25" Wiley Clapp SP101 which is quite enjoyable for shooting .38sp and tolerable for shooting .357 (about the same as shooting 9x18 on my P64). However, it is heavier and bulkier than other snubnoses out there so not as carry friendly until I find a good IWB system for it. Another option is to get a Ruger LCR 357. I don't have any experience shooting that model, but I can imagine it would be quite harsh on hands when shooting 357.

How do you guys think about the practicality of shooting 357 with an LCR? Shall I just get the lighter 38sp version? (or just stick to my sp101?)

2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I would lean towards getting the .357 version and make range / practice time .38spl. Keep the .357 for carry and self defense. At the LCR size there isn't much difference.

3. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

Also looking at revolvers now, beside the usual SW/Ruger, any user review of the new colt cobra, kimber k6s??

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have an SP101 Snubbie like you and also a .38 LCR and really like them both.
    I wasn't really looking for the LCR when it found me but I am surprised how nice it is and how easily it handles really.
    Not sure I would like to have one in .357 and I will try to find it in 9mm before for sure.

Anyway the LCR is so much less bulky feeling as it weighs 1/2 I think what the ingot SP does and is easy shooting in .38 for sure.

5. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

A one pound sub two inch barrel .357 even if you could hit the side of a barn with it won't take long before you are deaf!

6. huh

huh Loaded Pockets

Well, both are 2" so the toll on hearing are pretty much the same. And yes, 357 through a 2" snubby is loud. I think I would only load the first round with 357 and the rest with .38+p, as sometimes you may be able to single action the 1st shot, alos a super loud 1st shot may be enough to scare bad guys away...

7. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

You make me pull, I'll put you down.. Raylon

You don't pull your gun unless you are serious!

8. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

I have an LCR 357 and it is a very enjoyable gun to carry and shoot with 38s. The few 357 loads I've put through it have been a bit harsh on the hands, but not unbearable. I don't have a lot of experience with revolvers, but I've heard it said that 357s make the finest 38+p revolvers you can find and I'm itching to get some 38+p to run through mine and see how they do.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

9. troutster52

troutster52 Loaded Pockets

I think the LCR in 38 specials is fully unpleasant to shoot, I can't imagine a .357 in one. I do think it adds value to the gun though if you get the 357 then at least you have the OPTION of shooting either.

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was seriously thinking about one of these. After putting a couple hundred rounds through the 38 ( My friends. He has the cool copper cylinder) I'm going to pass. The trigger is great and the weight is awesome for carry but I don't see the shooting benefit. It needs more mass to shoot well.

I carry a 357 King Cobra in the woods 4inch.

11. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

My 38 spl LCR was very easy to shoot and I actually liked the trigger quite a bit. I regret trading it away a few years ago. I would NOT want to shoot .357 out of any revolver that lightweight however.

troutster52 likes this.
  12. huh

huh Loaded Pockets

I think I will only shoot .38 (maybe +p) out of this gun, as it's probably the maximum tolerable punch I can take to keep my squint within an acceptable level. The squint is very significant when I speed shoot .357 with SP101. I think it will be a terrible thing to have in an emergency situation when you are shooting out of reflex. So I will leave 357 out of picture unless I am carrying a 4" gp100.

Back to the LCR, there's a 3.6 oz weight difference between the .357 version and the .38+p version. How much difference will that 3.6 oz make in terms of shooting comfort vs carrying?

13. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I would suggest you evaluate your entire carry paradigm...what is your perception of threat? what legal factors preclude carrying in certain locations...I'd compare a 5 or 6 shot wheel gun to a 7 to 9 shot 9mm semi

FBI standard gelatin penetration of permanent and temporary stretch cavity same weight projectile out of appropriate length barrels....

loaded weight and thickness of firearm and holster

number of rounds

ergonomics,trigger pull, and sight picture (how easy to get into action)

one hand operation... weak hand

confidence in the reliability of the platform

availability of inexpensive training ammo

I've been a competitive shooter for a long time, and have gone through a bunch of "carry pistols"... I think I've finally found the best choice for me... a G43 with Taran Tactical +2 extension...I can shoot an auto loader much more accurately than a wheel gun.... your mileage may vary

nicknapp likes this.