1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lazy urban warrior bag suggestion please

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Trigger's broom, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Trigger's broom

Trigger's broom Loaded Pockets

Hi, first of all i'll make it clear i'm new to EDC bags so pretty clueless where to even start.

What it's for.

Mainly it will contain a change of clothes for both of my daughters aged 18 months & 3 & a half, so other than a change of clothes, a drink each, wipes, diaper for the youngest & hopefully a little room left for a couple of my things, small knife, flashlight, small first aid kit could be useful too. I'm looking at approx 20L size bags unless advised otherwise.

What i like.

Personally i think i prefer 2 strap rucksacks rather than just a single strap, mainly as much of the time i have my daughters with me, so when i'm walking i want the backpack staying in place & not swinging around. Must be durable, OK i'm not going mountaineering, but still i'd like it to be reasonably tuff.

Price

I'm happy in the $50-$100 range, unless you can recommend me something cheaper!

On a side note i did have a quick look on the internet, are the Maxpedition type bags really much better than say backpacks made by outdoor sports companies such as North Face or Under Armour?

All opinions welcome, also happy to hear about brands to avoid too.

Thank you.

Turd Fergusson and MCPOWoller like this.
  2. Benbrooks

Benbrooks Loaded Pockets

My kids are a bit older at 3 and 5 now, but I've always used one of two backpacks for this exact purpose (I've tested both at Disneyland and Disneyworld). The only one close to the price range you are looking at is the GORUCK 10l Bullet. It might be a tight squeeze for what you want, but I think it is a fantastic bag because it remains small enough not to be another clutter point with all the crap kids make you do. It is $125 though (http://www.goruck.com/bullet-ruck-10l-black-w-black-/p/GEAR-000871)

I also have a 21L bag I love, but that's way out of budget (Outlier Quadzip if you are curious).

As far the outdoor companies, I would say that a North Face bag like the Recon (https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/recon?variationId=JK3) is going to be better than most Maxpedition bags. I'm not sure how popular that opinion is but the fact is most outdoor companies make thier bags to take abuse on Hiking trails — regardless of the truth to that. Maxpedition bags are just about pockets and MOLLE, and i say that as a big GORUCK/MOLLE fan in general.

Hope that helps.

Trigger's broom likes this.
  3. Trigger's broom

Thank you for your advice, i will take a look at all of them, i may end up spending a little extra for the right bag.

4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Try the LA Police Gear 3 day backpack. On sale over at their site now.

Vinjints and Trigger's broom like this.
  5. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

I use one of two bags for this same task. I totally agree on the backpack you don't want your sling or messenger swinging down and tagging little Sally in the face after she's fallen down already.
    I like the hiking/outdoor packs for this. You don't need the organization you would for your personal stuff. I like Osprey, Mountain Smith and Lowe Alpine. These style packs will be durable and lighter than the tacticool packs. Some kind of straps on the outside to catch gear as it's shed by your kids is nice. External water bottle pockets are good to.
    I use a Mountain Smith Tour lumbar pack with the Strappettes. It's only 9L (probably why I need the external straps) for the big one and a smaller Lowe Alpine pack with a shoulder strap for dinner entertainment.
    You might check out the Osprey Daylight (20L and $65). I have the Comet. Only complaints are that the reflective appliques are coming off and it doesn't stand up on its own. It's taken urban and trail abuse and held up well. It's my EDC and over night travel bag. I've had it for a couple years. I use it for kid stuff as well.
    I have never liked the kid specific bags. They don't hold up well, aren't organized well and are pricey.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. lps72pp

lps72pp Empty Pockets

For what it's worth I just picked up a North Face Borealis for about $75. It's a 28L bag but carries more like a 21L. I've owned quite a few "tactical" bags to include Maxpedition and I honestly like the North Face more. Seems sturdy and will fit your requirements without being too large or heavy for edc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Having a 5 year old, I know exactly what you're going through. You really should be looking for a Clamshell style backpack with organization, so you could stow emergency diapers, creams, etc without it getting in the way of your normal access stuff. BUT, if you're organized enough, you could get away with a Top-Loader and use some pouches so you're not fishing for things on the bottom.

1. (Top Load) Kletterwerks "FLIP" (25L) is on close-out for a modest $99 (http://www.mysteryranch.com/co-kletterwerks-flip-pack). It's a top-load ruck with literally 'no' organization other than the lid and laptop compartment. Made in USA
    2. (1/2 Clamshell) Kletterwerks "Summit" (20L) is also on close-out for $75. (http://www.mysteryranch.com/co-kletterwerks-summit-pack). This one has more organization and with the price range is right. Made in USA
    3. (Clamshell) Vertx Gamut (28L) - could be had on eBay for $150 brand new. Pros: It has Bottle Pockets, but cannot fit a 32oz Nagene. Should be plenty big to hold everything you need and some. (Imported)
    4. (1/2 Clamshell) Vertx EDC Ready (19L) - could be had on eBay for ~$100 shipped brand new. Pros: It has Bottle Pockets and can fit 32oz Nagene. Unfortunately it has 3 compartments that eat into the use-able space. (Imported)

I honestly think that an Active messenger-bag that is built to go cross shoulder is the way to go. It's too bad, because there's this Malaysian company called Greenroom136 that hand-makes their packs with all the best materials; similar to these USA premium brands. They recently were closing out some messengers on Amazon for dirt cheap for half the price of what they typically sell for.

There's one left if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/Greenroom136-Junkmonkey-Urban-Single-Strap/dp/B0144EB8M6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488579779&sr=8-1&keywords=greenroom136

It's right around 19L and should have just enough organization that you need.

Last edited by Bobby Leang, Mar 3, 2017
    #7 Bobby Leang, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  8. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

9. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Do you have one?
    I bought one a few years back and it felt SO CHEAP.
    I traded it a while later for a pocketknife. I never carry the knife but still feel like I came out on top with the ESEE knife.

For the price, I like TNF bags. Basic, hold up really well, and blend in great (aka: dont scream GECKO45!)

Trigger's broom and MCPOWoller like this.
  10. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

To the OPs request, we have two kids at the same interval and have been using the GGG Stealth Operator. It just barely fits the described items and nothing more... Well, I keep some pediatric oral airways on top of a normal FAK, but otherwise the same.

http://www.greyghostgear.com/product-p/6009.htm

The Stealth is a compromise bag. The positives are a small form factor and the super long straps allow it to work as a sling bag for easy on, easy off. The narrow mouths are a bit wonky IMHO.

11. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I do not have one personally. I get my bags issued by the Navy. But, my buddy has one and swears by it. He took it to Afghanistan In 2009-2010 and it's still going strong.
    Best of luck!

12. kenshomi

kenshomi Loaded Pockets

MR FLIP on close out. Makes for a cool dad pack!

13. Trigger's broom

Crikey! way way more options than i was expecting! Thank you all for your help & suggestions.

14. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Whatever bag you settle on buy a patch like this:

[​IMG]

There are several variations available from eBay, etc.

HeavyHauler, twin63 and CitizenSnips like this.
  15. cliffy15

cliffy15 Empty Pockets

I'm kind of late to the party (and this is my first post on this forum) but I wanted to contribute.

I think you need to do a bit more research on what options you have before figuring out what you want out of your bag. here's my suggestions...

price range: unless this bag is disposable, I'd consider upping your budget to the ~$150.00 range. I'm not saying that you can't find a good bag in your price range but that extra $50 or so will really open up your options and you'll be able to include some of the most popular, and tested, packs. also, I come from the "if I'm going to spend good money on a pack make sure it fits a broad range of possible applications" ... within your own tolerances, of course.

size: unless you're a really small person, I'd suggest getting a bag that fits your proportions well. also, it's also better to have a bigger bag that can compress pretty well, when empty, than figuring out what items you'll leave behind because you can't fit them. I'd suggest a capacity of somewhere between 24L - 30L which is usually considered daypack-sized.

pack organization: I'd not recommend a rucksack type of pack unless you have your own organization in mind (bags within bags) unless you don't mind rifling through the entire contents of your pack on a regular basis.

build type/material: most tactical/"bombproof" packs are made of 1000D cordura these days. they last forever and are very durable. however, they are heavy and bulky. lighter material makes lighter packs but you may sacrifice some durability (your pack may last several years instead of decades).

structure/suspension: if you're going to be carrying this bag for extended periods or packed full, look for a pack with a frame/suspension system (internal sheet/stay bars/hip belt, maybe even some back ventilation).

my recommendations are thus: a combination of lightweight, organization, suspension and multi use:

1: pacsafe venturesafe x30. it has a good structure and decent suspension but doesn't look entirely like an outdoors pack. this is my edc bag that also doubles as a excellent travel/urban hiking pack. I swear it holds much more than it looks like it can hold. slim/narrow profile.

2: vertx ready pack: I don't have this one but I WANT it. I had the vertx 28L gamut and the thing looks huge on my 5'10" frame but doesn't hold much. I'd go for the ready pack unless you're a big guy.

3: I also like the North face recon pack but the pacsafe one wins (for me).

4: I'm a huge fan of osprey packs. they have good build quality, great features, and an awesome guarantee at a decent price point. I can personally recommend the momentum series (take a look at the 26L version - which is actually a commuter pack)

hope this helps in any way.

16. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

stock your trunk.

A few diapers, flushable wipes, cream, snack, and fluid. Don't buy anything tactical all that craziness just adds weight. Simple. REI flash or something similar. You aren't going on an expedition. Most everything can wait. You need to save for college don't over think. Oh yeah, triplets. They carry their own stuff now. Yes, I had to buy their packs also. ;)

17. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

For price you can't beat Condor gear. Everything I've ever bought from them has been well made.

LA Police gear has their own line of bags that a priced great. I can't attest to their functionality or quality but more and more im looking at purchasing their stuff.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

18. Trigger's broom

Thanks again for all suggestions, i checked them all out & bought the North Face Borealis (although i thought i ordered the Recon), anyway, i'm certainly happy with it, by far the best quality bag i've ever owned. Only now i'm trying to find reason to by another........the EDC addiction continues.

intocoman likes this.