1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Layman's review of the Huntlight FT-A3 1xAAA Flashlight

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Deaths Head, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I'm not a flashlight expert, so I will do the best that I can do review this product.  No lightboxes or graphs here.  Just me, the FT-A3 and 2 other flashlights.
    Just got the Huntlight FT-A3 in the mail today from Jon.  The flashlight was received in its own box packed with foam.  Attached to the flashlight was a tiny 360 degree swivel and in the box was a lanyard for pocket carry.  Nothing else.  No case or extra o-rings.
    The light itself is tiny.  A little under 3 inches in length, and just a tad over 1/2 an inch in diameter.  The anodizing is said to be HA-III.  I'll take the manufacturer's word for now.  I am not going to test it.  I'll let you guys know in a few weeks if this is true.  The anodizing is even with no defects.  The flashlight is turned on and off using a twist head.  The head is nicely knurled to turn on and off.  There is also a glass lens present.  According to the manufacturer's website, it is AR coated.

[​IMG]

All of the lights that this light should be compared to, I don't have.  I do have a Photon X-Light Micro with fresh batteries and I want to the local store to pick up a Maglite Solitaire.  Since all three of these are for keychain carry, I thought it would be good enough for comparison purposes.  Just for the record, the X-Light has the new upgraded LED, so it is twice as bright as the older Photons.  Lastly, it would be nice to see how the Solitaire would compete to the newer LED lights for those members out there who are just learning about flashlights.

Here are the beamshots of each light at 5 feet.

Huntlight FT-A3
    [​IMG]

Photon X-Light Micro
    [​IMG]

Maglite Solitaire (focused to most useful beam)
    [​IMG]

It was no surprise that the FT-A3 outshined its competitors.  The X-Light was very bright for its size though.  And the Solitaire, to be nice, it deserves a spot in the Smithsonian.

So am I happy with the $35 I spent on the FT-A3.  Very much so.  I would like to see a side-by-side comparison with other lights though like the Fenix LOP or with the ARC AAA-P in regards to fit and finish.

2. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

Not bad for an amateur!  O0

Excuse my ignorance, is that a AA or AAA light?

I would like to see a comparison with the Inova X1 myself.

Perhaps someone could oblige in the future.

3. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

The Huntlight that I have is a AAA.

4. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

Nice review, looking more and more like they will be a good alternative in the personal carry light market. have you done your own runtime test yet?

5. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

:laughing: How very true! That's a really nice review, DH, very nice.

I prefer cylindrical lights in my keychain. How does it feel, say vs. that Photon light while on your keychain?

6. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Thanks for the complements guys.
    GreenLED, actually, I haven't carried it yet with my keys.  I am going to make a kydex sheath for it first, but I am out of eyelets.  Even though I new the dimensions before hand, this light is still incredibly small.  Even with the battery, the weight is negligible.  Even though it is longer than the Photon, I don't think it will crowd my keychain any more than the Photon.

7. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Excellent review, DH. I like your choice of lights to compare the Huntlight to since it provides a contrast between the lights that your average person is most likely to have access to.

I always get a kick out of seeing Maglite beams... they are so pathetic I don't wonder that Maglite's not personally responsible for the low opinion many people have of flashlights as real tools.

I really like the design of the AAA Huntlilght and can't wait to hear how it performs HA-wise on your keychain.

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

that was a nice review. thanks for doing it.

9. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Thanks Jon.

10. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Where is the Huntlight made and what are it's warranty claims?

11. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

The Huntlights are made in Hong Kong and warranty...not sure. If you get your Huntlights through www.jsburlysflashlights.com, though, Jon will take care of you should any mechanical failure come up.

12. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I will exceed to Manufuacturers Warranty as I am the only USA dealer. I will honor all warranty issues for as long as this forum exists or I exist... ;D Unless the company goes by by then I will figure out something else.

13. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Hmmmm, looking at this and comparing it to an ARC AAA. I do like USA made products, but this is cheaper... :help: