1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Laundering Wool

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by 0dBm, Oct 28, 2014.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have embraced merino; replacing much of my synthetic garments. I really like that it doesn't seem to retain odor as much.

Anyone have or know of methods to clean this fabric that won't destroy it?

2. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

The one of the cool things about most merino products is that it is machine washable. Most labels recommend hand or machine wash, delicate cycle and lying flat to dry. Just be sure to double check label on each individual garment, as manufacturers recommendations can vary. A quick tip on storage; definitely use cedar blocks or some sort of moth repellant. Merino wool is like filet mignon to a moth. Found this out the hard way. I put a merino base layer on after (improper) storage and it looked like Swiss cheese.

Holliday

3. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

I have bought 4 wool tshirts recently 2xMinus33 and 2xTAD (I should post a review/contrast). Some henleys, and a ton of wool blend socks (at least 70% wool).

I have done the same for all, machine wash cold gentle cycle, dryer low heat. No damage, no shrinkage.

4. vinsanity286

vinsanity286 Loaded Pockets

Yep, most merino wool products you see now have been treated to allow machine washing without shrinking.

5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

The key word there^^^^^^^^^^ being MOST; make sure for each brand/product line or the family dog might be acquiring new wool shirts that fit him perfectly... ;)

6. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

And after a few washes, soak them in lanolin.

7. comeonbabylightmyfire

comeonbabylightmyfire Loaded Pockets

I use merino primarily for undergarments. My advice is to use soap which is much milder and with fewer harmful chemicals than washing detergents. As noted above you can usually chuck them into a washing machine on a forty degree wash, but like AK Adv wisely advises, read the label first!

I do have some hoodies and jackets too that serve as mid-layers but they're not pictured.

Ulvang are hardwearing Norwegian merino socks. I wear them almost every day.

[​IMG]

Smartwool undies, socks, a red Kathmandu teeshirt and longsleeved 200 gsm Icebreaker tops. There are some 260 gsm long sleeved XTM tops pictured too.
    [​IMG]
    Soz for the execrable pics today. I have the shakes. Meh!

HimalayanHitman likes this.
  8. vinsanity286

vinsanity286 Loaded Pockets

Some people recommend using vinegar to wash wool as it is cheaper than wool detergents and just as effective. It is also supposed to be a better match to the pH of natural wool. I plan on picking some up this weekend to try on my wool clothing. I will report back with results.

I should probably wash my wool t shirt(woolx) more often than I do, but it just never seems to stink after I hang it up at night.

9. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

+1 Holliday for the cedar, I've not had any issues laundering (though 90% of my stuff comes from the same company so you get pretty used to their rules) but I absolutely have found holes.

Holliday likes this.
  10. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

Strange question but how do you like the Smartwool underwear? I currently wear Under Armour and Exofficio but wanted to try these (REI has been out of them). Do they ride up at all and how is it for heat and feel?

11. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I was thinking of going to wool when I read all the good things about wool here is this forum, and I have nice wool coat that keeps me warm even in the harshest temps. But now I see that wool clothing takes special care in order to not ruin and/or shrink them. No one's mentioned Woolite yet in this thread. So am I right in thinking that wool is great until you have to wash them? I don't have the time to hand wash them and let them dry flat or hang them dry. We have a lot of clothes to wash in our family when we do laundry, and I don't think I need a full set of clothing that takes so much special care to launder, it would piss off the wife. I just need clothing that we can just throw in the washer and then the dryer. Synthetics or cotton may not be as odor free as wool, but it looks to be much easier to maintain and wash. Because with my luck, I'd buy wool and when the wife did the laundry, my wool clothes will have been shrunk.

12. comeonbabylightmyfire

Smartwool boxers are great. I too have used Under Armour and Ex-Officio, but they won’t get replaced. The Ex-Officio were expensive and disappointingly they lost their shape very quickly and the fabric began pilling at abrasion points. All that marketing guff about anti-microbial treatments is misleading. After eight hours, they stink. Underarmour, however, are cheaper, longer lasting and have good compression for high activity pursuits.

Smartwool don’t ride up at all, they fit snugly, keep their shape, effectively wick perspiration and don’t chafe over long distances. Neither will you overheat. Wool can absorb 30% of it’s weight in moisture and, unlike cotton, still feel warm. They’ll also dry out very quickly after washing. They’re similarly priced to Ex-Officio, at least here in the UK, but longer lasting and much better VFM. Icebreaker also produce hardwearing merino boxers.

HimalayanHitman likes this.
  13. comeonbabylightmyfire

Kikaida. The brands I have photographed and recommended can all be machine washed at 40C without shrinking, using the average household detergent. You can safely put them in the family wash confident that they’ll come out fine but don’t use a tumble dryer! Also I avoid fabric conditioner. Read the labels first before making an expensive purchase. I don't want to incur anyone's wrath :mad:

Woolite is a US-branded detergent suitable for hand washing delicate garments or using the dedicated wool cycle on a washing machine. I use Stergene (a UK brand) soap for anything that requires special handwashing or has a jersey knit prone to shrinkage. I avoid detergents as much as is practicable but that's my personal preference. It's a lot kinder to the environment.

14. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

Awesome thanks, I like the exofficio better than my UA but hearing that they ruin quicker Im glad I only bought one to try out. I will definitely try out the Smart Wool. :)

comeonbabylightmyfire likes this.