1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Last thing you illuminated (used your flashlight)?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by DIlan, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Yesterday, I was down in another pool's pump room using my Nitecore MT2A to light up the huge puddle at the bottom of the steps. The only lights are in the room itself, not on the staircase, so yeah. I found out about the puddle the hard way once and now don't go down there without a light. Them's the breaks of going under ground level when you're on an island.

2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

It was dark and rainy tonight, so I used my nitecore MT2A when locking up the pool I was working at. There's 3 different gates to be locked and not much lighting at night, so the MT2A came in handy. There's an indoor pool also and of course the light switch there is on the opposite side from the door I leave through, so the MT2A took care of lighting my way out of the building as well.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Does the MT2A give you the 'flickering' warning when the voltage gets low or does the light just go out? If the latter, do you have another light on your person??

4. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

The progress of Ethanol in my hard cider manufacturing process. Put the light to the jug and watch the tiny bubbles as I listened to the fizz.

5. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I don't think it does, but I've never used it long enough between recharging eneloops to find out. The MT2A is my extra, backup light that goes in my bag when I know I'll be out after dark. It's the one big, bright light that I have. I always have at least one or two 1xAAA lights on me or in the bag and there's a 2xAA minimag in the car.

The nice thing about the MT2A is it is easy to switch between Turbo and the memory mode. So, I can keep the memory mode on medium or low for up close work, like locking finicky pool gates and then squeeze or twist the bezel to get Turbo to be able to see across a larger area. The pool area I was at last night is about 150-200 ft from one gate to the gate on the other side and I could easily see past that with the MT2A on Turbo. Normally there's still a little light left in the sky at that time, but of course it was raining pretty good (or bad depending on your point of view).

earthman likes this.
  6. Ellis Chapman

Ellis Chapman Loaded Pockets

I illuminated the path to the cabin outhouse. The log book from the day before stated that a maintainence worker had to fire a warning shot at a grizzly that was within 10 feet of him as he glanced up. Love my Zebralight 600 plus. This was at the upper most cabin from Eagle on the Yukon river.

Last edited by Ellis Chapman, Aug 31, 2017
    #126 Ellis Chapman, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    PragmaticMurphyist and Water-Rat like this.
  7. HVACn00b

HVACn00b Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

This is the vent pipe for a pool heater in a mechanical closet....
    just love when clients don't get you can't have pool chemicals in the same room as your mechanical equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Water-Rat like this.
  8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Wait... you can't? Lol. I've seen people do that so many times. I've even seen people store pool chemicals and landscaping equipment (including gasoline) in a pool pump room. Nothing like storing Chlorine and gasoline next to each other 10 feet away from the pool pump/filter/heater setup. The place wasn't fully enclosed and was a stand alone pump house in the middle of a yard, so not much risk of damaging other buildings, but still...

HVACn00b likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Is there a real risk of something happening, assuming that chemicals etc are in their own solid/secure containers and never opened whilst inside that room?

I've never actually been in a pool pump room, I'm guessing that it's fairly hot etc but probably no worse than some other industrial areas??

10. Scrumbag

Scrumbag Loaded Pockets

Path and bushes in Botswana

11. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

As long as there's no source of a spark and fumes aren't allowed to build up inside the room, then yeah, the risk is pretty low, but it's still there. In some cases, chemicals are opened and added directly to the water via the pump system. The one place I worked had a chlorinator and you had to be careful both in opening the bucket of chlorine tabs and in opening the chlorinator so that you didn't get a breath full of chlorine. Not only is there risk of fire/explosion, but also of inhaling chemical fumes and of having chemical spills. Pump rooms are pretty tame in general. Usually they're not even all that hot. The most common problem is tripping or knocking your head into something from all the pipes going every which way. Also, because of improper lighting as I've found out recently.

earthman likes this.
  12. Foxwalk

Foxwalk Loaded Pockets

Used my Streamlight Stylus Pro to look inside of fermentors after a caustic soda cleaning. Brewer and Cellarman, gotta make sure everything is clean!

CIVSD and Water-Rat like this.
  13. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

A couple nights ago, I was sleeping over at my church and my new Zebralight H53c came in handy to read myself to sleep and to see my way around in the middle of the night without messing up my night vision.

14. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

my 3xAA Black Diamond head lamp and 1AA Solarforce Z2 were used extensively during Irma...I standardized AA Eneloops after 2004/5 and in use cells were rotated out and re charged every time I ran the gen set... also powered the Coleman 3AA HighTech LED lanterns, Grundig FR200 radio, and Reecom weather radio

15. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Used my little Colt flaslight to check brake fluid leaks after some work on the Caddy

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Shined light from my Sahara Sailor tactical pen to club's indoor range floor in an attempt to locate back sight screw that I dropped whilst zeroing

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

17. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Not sure if I've posted this before, or not:

Every evening, I opt to use some of my lights to light up my room. I have many lights, with different tints from which to choose; so it's always fun :)

[​IMG]
    Definitely not my greatest picture. The beam patterns would have looked more uniform if I had placed the lights closer in towards the monitor (with those old Altec Lansing satellites on the outside, rather than the other way around). Having a white wall on the left, and mini blinds on the right, a little farther way, didn't help. I like lighting up my desk area this way, because a) it's a lot more pleasant (with broader, more uniform coverage) than being directly lit by a desk lamp, b) it takes up substantially less space than a desk lamp, and c) it's better for cutting down on eye fatigue, when I use my computer at night - which is quite a bit.

My computer desk is in the corner, and in this shot, I'm using a pair of Solarforce P60 hosts (L2M with L2T head on the left, and L2T Stainless, on the right), with Mountain Electronics XM-L2 T5 5D3 drop-ins, on either side of my monitor.

Above that, is a Fenix PD40 (Which is an MT-G2, but looks somewhat similar in tint, because of the way it's bounced off of the shelf so closely above it). If I want something warmer, I'll go with a 7A3, or go the other way, for something cooler. Nichia 219Bs are amazing, as well - naturally. Depends on what I want.

More than half of my chargers (mostly XTARs) are pictured in this shot, but not very clearly seen, the way this was lit. I was too lazy to re-compose the shot.

On another wall, I'll use whatever else appeals, and the lights rest on top of my speakers (also, ceiling-bounced).

Sometimes, I'll combine two different tints, to get just the right color. Works out very well.

I may even place a light on top of a pair of IKEA DVD towers, on the opposite wall, which are about 8 feet apart from each other, and stand maybe 6 or 7 feet tall, if I want more light on the other side of the room, but I don't tend to do this set-up very often.

I've never liked direct lighting in my room, or in any work area.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  18. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

my 20 month old son and I play explorer/flashlight tag every day now. he runs around the house with his pelican or my fenix E12 and I chase him with the other one. Then i hide and he crawls with his light looking for me. adorable! but he burned out the batteries by leaving my CR123 surefire burning all night once, and he blinds me because he figured out how to bump the fenix to turbo. Trying to get him a real light, LED, not crazy for us to play in the future.

Water-Rat and Mark_Trail like this.
  19. CIVSD

CIVSD Loaded Pockets

Nice, I do this with mead.

My use of the day was illuminating the path to my shed after dark.0

Moshe ben David and G39 like this.
  20. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I was chaperoning at a school dance at the middle school I work at last night and while parents were picking up their kids, I used my Zebralight H53c to illuminate people and warn drivers as many students decided to step off the curb and run through the parking lot without looking.