1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Last night's Arkansas tornadoes and how EDC helped me

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by quietconundrum, Apr 28, 2014.

1. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

Unbelievable. Just learned that there are numerous (yes, you read that right — more than one) phony charities already exploiting the disaster and accepting (and even worse, soliciting) funds from locals and those abroad. Honestly, I'm not surprised... but when it is this close to home, I take it especially personal. Ugh.

2. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

Looks like everything is over, sadly two people died in Tennessee, and I think seven in Alabama. It's amazing what Mother Nature can do, Tennessee had 190mph winds... Crazy.
    [​IMG]

Keep Calm And EDCarry On

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes, this system was a beast, wreaking havoc across an enormous swath of territory — and it isn't quite over yet, from what I hear.

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Opportunistic parasites. I remember reports from another major tornado hit - the debris hadn't quite finished landing yet before folks were looting prescription drugs and trying to appropriate vehicles by claiming to be officials in need.

sungame and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

I will never understand this type of behavior (or anything approaching it). What does it take (or what happens) within someone's nature to become so unequivocally nefarious? It goes without saying that I do not suffer thieves, low-lifes or stupidity very well.

keith1234 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  6. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, too many people subscribe to the idea that in every disaster lies the opportunity for profit.

keith1234 and tmedina like this.
  7. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

So true. When one of these same towns (Vilonia) got hit in 2011, there were roofing contractors showing up, doing assessments, scheduling jobs, taking checks and then disappearing to the other side of the country. Took a lot of honest money from a lot of honest, grieving and desperate folks.

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You see it at every natural disaster. Which is why people are warned to check references, screen contractors, and so on - but in the middle of what is likely the worst time of your life, nobody is thinking clearly.

9. Wfs29223

Wfs29223 Loaded Pockets

What weather app is that?

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

10. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

Local news station. WRCB Radar.

Keep Calm And EDCarry On

11. Wfs29223

Wfs29223 Loaded Pockets

Ok. Thanks

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

12. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Agreed! Great thread.

13. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

Good on you. It's always good when a passion of yours (which others often laugh at in my case) pays off . Well done.

Sent from my ipad, using the stylus.

14. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you put a lot of education and preparedness to good use! I know a close friend who lost two family members up there in Arkansas. You always have to be prepared. You just never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Pingodude

Pingodude Loaded Pockets

Terrible events but a very inspiring thread.
    Being from sweden natural disasters tend to be few, long in between and not all that massive. That being said I feel that I (everyone) should be more prepared than we are.
    However I have no idea where to start with a small/usefull enough kit, suited to urban swedish needs. I will have to start looking into more threads on this to expand beyond my on-person EDC (as my bag is pretty much neglected).

combatconundrum likes this.
  16. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

its not about the stuff....its about your heart. there's all these people that carry all this crap with them but wouldn't think about going out of their way to help people like you and your friends did. to be honest im more impressed that your guys' first thought was to jump in your car and go help.

sungame likes this.
  17. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well, unfortunately, we're not strangers to extreme weather around here and it comes down to mutuality. We're all, in the grand scheme of things, mutually dependent on one a other as human beings moreso than we are as just neighbors or Arkansans, or even Americans. When an unprejudiced force like a tornado exacts its will upon anyone in any place, it becomes the great equalizer. Suddenly, all the differences, barriers and considerations that might otherwise preclude interaction with these "strangers" is washed away and we're all just humans in need of help. No one asks to be devastated by a tornado. I have storm chasing friends, and even as excited and pumped up as they can get about storms, no one wishes for this outcome. You're right though... For me, it /is/ about heart more than anyting else. Wanting to help, knowing you can and just being there when the need arrises, even if you weren't able to do anything – that's what truly counts in my book.

sungame likes this.
  18. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm really sorry about your friend's loss of family. This storm has proved so costly in life and property. One could easily lose his/her bearing in this sea of grief, destruction and loss. I hope your friend finds peace.

19. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm glad you're inspired to be more prepared. What would be a major threat for Swedish folks in terms of natural phenomina or regular social/urban occurences? Obviously, the main motivator for preparation is always the unknown, but I'm curious about observations from a culture and climate so different from my own. Thanks for participating in this discussion =)

Last edited by combatconundrum, May 8, 2014
  20. Pingodude

Pingodude Loaded Pockets

When it comes to natural disasters storms and flooding are the most common, although still pretty uncommon, events that occur occasionally. More commonly are the more mundande events like loss of electricity or (rarely) water issues.
    Sweden is not really a disater prone country in comparison, but still a need to be lightly prepared for things that can occur. ;)