1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Laser pointer

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Swe_Nurse, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I guess it qualifies as "other illumination device" so I place it here.

What I'm looking for is a laser pointer (or a few), but I have close to no current knowledge of them.

What I want:

Streamlight stylus pro/preon/sharpie form factor.
    AAA or AA batteries. I guess 18650 or CR123 is fine too, if there's good reasons for it.
    I don't need something powerful, in fact I would like a "safe" wattage. My intention is not to burn things.
    Under $100, willing to pay up to that or a little over if there's an advantage in quality or other aspects.
    Not red (I'm thinking green but I'm open to suggestions).

Uses:
    Pointing at things at a fairly close distance, doing presentations and similar
    Play with dogs/cats
    EDC, because reasons

I've looked at eBay/amazon etc. and most of them there are no name cheap ones. Which is fine, but I'm willing to pay more for quality.

2. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I too want something about the quality of Streamlight, but in a laser pointer. I have not found it yet. On ebay or amazon if you search aaa laser pointer you can find the form factor you want for between $10 and $20, the problem is quality. Sometime they are dead on arrival or just randomly stop working. I am hoping someone will suggest something better.

3. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

Butch loves laser pointers, red only to be exact...me, not so much :)
    [​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  4. Rutha73

Rutha73 Loaded Pockets

I have never had one, but I have heard good things about wicked lasers . com they have a few different power levels and colors

5. Dingle1911

Does anyone have experience with Wicked Lasers? The net seems to have numerous reviews of dead units and bad customer service.

6. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

While not in your desired form factor or color, Nextorch has introduced a rechargeable keyfob form red laser/flashlight for $20, not sure when they will be out but it should be soon. I like flashlight/laser combos when doing presentations, that way I have a white light in hand.

7. Dingle1911

Sounds cool, I could not find any info on it. Could you please DM me a link. Thanks.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Look for a Class IIIA Laser product that complies with US Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1040.10 with an output of less than 5mW and at a wavelength of 635nM.

For class presentations, red would be my recommendation. It is probably the brightest as seen by the hunan eye at that power level and yet remains at a far lesser destructive level to the human eyes than the other colors such as blue or purple.

The color green is seen by the human eye as the brightest. At a wavelength 535nM at 5mW, the a green laser can damage the eyes quicker than the other colors.

REGARDLESS OF THE COLOR, WAVELENGTH, OR OUTPUT POWER LEVEL, DO NOT DIRECT THE OUTPUT OF A LASER POINTER AT A HUMAN EYE. IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY.

Please do not use those green laser products from Wicked Lasers. Their output can sometimes be quite a bit MORE powerful than the advertised value.

DO NOT use a laser of any wavelength, color, or power around an airport. You will have the FULL resources of the US Federal Government asking you some VERY frank questions.

9. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

I would also mention that lasers with AAA or AA batteries are overpowered and can damage yours or someone's sight. I know that colored lasers are fancy but they are often bad... Stick to red ones with button batteries and as someone says less than 5mW.