1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Laptop Reliability

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by snowkiwi, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

After 5 months of no Windows Update on my Lenovo T61/Win 7, I finally got it working again. 60 updates later, keeping this for future use.

2. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

There's a lot of Apple love in this thread. Their hardware is great and software is good but neither is perfect, and problems do occur (I reckon that I encounter something about once a year). For that reason I do take AppleCare and my experience has been fantastic: replacement of a mother-board on an iMac, an Airport base station, and a nearly three year-old battery in my MBA, plus a couple of snarly software issues, mostly with Photos.

I wonder what other Mac-owners think about AppleCare.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think it is a good deal mostly.
    I really like that you can buy it anytime up until the standard warranty is over unlike any other extended service plan that I have seen or heard of.
    It can clearly be a lifesaver depending on the issues you might have crop up.

The other thing about the Apple reliability is that there is really just one set of hardware from a single manufacturer.
    Any Mac you buy is made by Apple plain and simple and they seem to offer a uniformly better level of quality and design in the initial build contrasted with all of the other makers of PC machines where quality and design can vary all over the place.

I service these things,often in the field and the Apple products are just more reliable and it is not even close. It used to be that there were a lot more PCs needing work at all and it still is in my experience!

4. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

My 6 yr old macbook air is still going strong. I do photography so I was considering getting another more powerful macbook pro. One of those retina screens would be nice too.

5. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ Loaded Pockets

I do photography as well. My current system is windows 10, core i7, 16gb ram, 1tb hybrid hard drive, on-board graphics as well as dedicated 4gb graphics. Sound card doesn't really matter but it's not on-board. Computer ruins smooth when editing RAW or manipulating photos.

6. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

I have a mid 2012 MBA, i7 and 8gb, which just about manages with Photos, but I switch to iMac for heavy lifting.

7. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

My Air worked great until I started editing 36mp RAW files. Now listening to Pandora or watching youtube while editing bogs the thing down.....Mostly use Lightroom to edit.

My concern is having to put Lightroom and Photoshop on a new computer if I get one. Can I transfer them without having to buy them again? I really dont use photoshop but it'd be nice to have in case I get around to trying to learn it again.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

newnan3: I was just forced to get a replacement MBP. Mine still works; it is a 15" produced in 2010. Problem is, too many websites and too much software now wants the newer 64 bit generation OS. Meaning the OS releases which began with Maverick and led to Yosemite, El Capitan, and now macOS Sierra. I thought I could upgrade to El Capitan. In fact I did so. But an undiscovered issue with the video hardware resulted in the machine continually crashing.

Sooo. I ended up getting a 13" MBP with Retina from the Store (a refurbished machine). Which has also meant I had to buy an external optical drive (which wasn't a big expense admittedly; I like to archive onto DVD and have audio CD's and some software that needed an optical drive). Also had to buy a new laser printer. My old Brother is not supported under Sierra.

Bottom line is now I have two boat anchors. The old Brother laser printer and the old 15" MBP. Probably both headed to a recycling facility...

Hate to say it, but I predict you'll end up going down this road at some point also. Hope you can hold out longer than I did.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Decided to update my 2003 T-30 IBM laptop today. still a solid performer. 2.2GHz, 2 MB, 160 GB HD

sungame likes this.
  10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I'm on my third Apple laptop, a 2012 13" MacBook Pro. In my experience, Apple make pretty solid laptops. The aluminium construction can certainly take a beating.

I travel quite a bit with my laptops. They are lugged around in briefcases and backpacks, thrown in and out of cars, buses, trains and plains, and used in classrooms, hotel rooms, libraries, airports, train stations, conference centres, cottages and whatnots, come rain, sleet, snow or sweltering heat.

I had to replace the screen of my first Mac (a PowerBook) after I accidentally dropped my hard plastic glasses case on it. The Ethernet port on my previous MacBook Pro stopped working after I accidentally sat down rather hard on top of it (I slipped on the ice while carrying the laptop in a shoulder bag). That one was also drenched in gatorade once, but after I took out the battery, rinsed the machine in clean water and let it dry out, it kept soldiering on.

All in all, I find that even though I don't go very easy on my Macs, they keep going. In fact, they tend to get obsolete because of software comparability issues long before I can wear them out. Still, this isn't a very big problem.

This is the real benefit of having one company make and control both hard- and software. As for the drawbacks ... I think we're gonna need a bigger thread!

EZDog likes this.
  11. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

What sorts of websites and software want 64 bit OS?

12. Moshe ben David

The most prominent that I ran into:
    • Garmin. I have a GPS with lifetime map support. It stopped updating over a year and a half ago; when I called Garmin on it they stated it was because I was not running Yosemite.
    • TurboTax. Have not been able to install TurboTax through either 2014 nor 2015 tax years; ended up using the online version which is more expensive.
    • Several bank websites will not operate on older OS (i.e., Snow Leopard); required the new generation. These included Chase; BoA operated but was getting a bit funky.
    • Could not complete on-line orders from several merchants, including Duluth Trading, and a couple of knife retailers.
    In the last few months, I was running into this more and more. Given that my machine at the time was from mid-2010 I knew the writing was on the proverbial wall. Would have been nice if the upgrade I did to El Capitan had worked out. It didn't. This was just before Sierra came out. With Apple, the longer you delay an upgrade, the more probable that you will reach a point where just a software upgrade will not work. I didn't want to wait until nothing worked...
    Hope this bit of my experience is informative!
    Moshe ben David

newnan3 likes this.
  13. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

You know now that you mention it Ive tried to update a Garmin i have with supposed lifetime support to no avail....

14. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you still have the license key.

15. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I used to buy the $400 - $600 laptops with the last being a business grade Lenovo Thinkpad. I never got more than 18 months out of one before they died in one way or another. I use them a couple hours a day, and move them constantly; couch, to bedroom, to gear room to kitchen etc etc. I found the plastic bodies didn't hold up to the regular moving around and hard drives would die constantly.

I finally sprung for a Macbook Air 13". I love the aluminum body, but the Mac OS is taking some getting used to. There's quite a few things I hate about it. But overall, I like the performance especially from the SSD. If I get 3 years out of it, I'll be happy.

16. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My ThinkPads are titanium covers. still using a 2003 T-30. same HD. Now on a T61 win 7.

17. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Longest-lasting portable --- a Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 which lasted from 2003 until Windows XP was EOL'd --- put a solid state drive in it, and would still be using it now save for the security aspect and web browsing needing so much Javascript a 933 MHz Pentium III isn't able to cope. Still use it when I want to do CNC work on the back deck since it has a transflective display which will work in direct sunlight.

My NeXT Cube lasted even longer --- 1989--2006 or so, had a motherboard upgrade ('030 to '040), got upgraded to OPENSTEP 4.2, and unfortunately, was a print server for the NeXT laserprinter and my wife kept forgetting to shut it down after printing. Can't bring myself to recycle it, and am tempted to pick up a 33 MHz Turbo motherboard for it.

18. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

Lenovo Thinkpads. Very cheap and durable...

ran23 likes this.
  19. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I wonder if my ThinkPad 755C would still boot....

20. Moshe ben David

Never used a Lenovo made ThinkPad. When I was in the corporate consulting world, the IBM ThinkPad was our 'weapon' of choice :cool:!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David