1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Laptop Reliability

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by snowkiwi, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Taylor2394

Taylor2394 Loaded Pockets

Iv got an asus republic of gamers laptop and its never failed. Full aluminum construction. They tested it playing games up a mountain in freezing conditions. Did fine

Sent from STRAYA

2. wretched_youth

wretched_youth Loaded Pockets

For my sins I've acquired a number of used laptops in the last couple of years. Here's my experience:

- Dell: I have some 4 5+ year old Latitudes. Those with Nvidia graphics chips have all died. The Intel integrated graphics models have survived and run well with W10 or Ubuntu (using SSDs). My two brothers have sworn off recent Dell consumer models as they have both failed before 18 months

- Sony Vaio: my several year old i7 gaming laptop works well with an SSD but keep it clean

- Surface Pro 2: bulletproof, good stylus. If it wasn't a chunky monkey I would recommend it as a used purchase

- Surface Pro 3: I recently bought a used i3 with a cracked screen (very cheap). It works perfectly with a Surface 4 keyboard apart from half the screen not responding to touch.

- Macbook air: I bought a used 2012 i7 and it is rock solid, despite its chassis showing a good hard working life. Spendy to buy new

3. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I have worked with laptops for over 20 years now. I got my start back in 94 with IBM when they made ThikPads. From there I spent time with Toshiba, Apple and a couple of others that no longer exist. For the past 14 years, I have been working for large corporate offices and all of this has made some pretty solid opinions about the systems bought. Here is my experience with some ranked 1-10. 10 being perfection. Remember that all of them have had their ups and downs during different times or with different products.

Apple _ 8

Solid construction even if they have been slipping a little more each year for about the past 3-4 years. Worst thing about Apple is that they are the absolute the worst about knowingly selling defective hardware. Even if a class-action suit makes them do a mass recall/repair, they will still deny any wrong doing. Its part of the "cult of Mac". This is a rare occurrence, but it happens.

Also, be aware that Apple has made MacBooks 100% non-upgradable. You won't be adding memory or a larger hard drive in the future because everything is integrated on the main board. I am typing on a Q4 2015 Macbook now and it will probably be my last unless they reverse this trend (doubtful).

Dell _ 9

I was bias against Dell for years. I didn't have much experience with them and I always thought their quality was more on the toy side rather than a real tool. However, as soon as I was introduced to a Dell office environment, that all changed. For the first time in my carrier, I wasn't constantly busy repairing laptops, ordering parts or calling out warranty techs. They rarley broke with a failure rate of less than 5% over a 3-year lease. Most of those failures were hard drives. That is amazing.

Toshiba / Sony _ 8

I put these together because they were always similar. They were usualy one-offs for higher level executives that insisted on having something different than what their unwashed underlings had to use. I never had many problems with them, but the customer service for both was a headache. Problems were with power/batteries for the Sony's. Toshiba's would have typical hard drive failures.

Asus / Abit _ 7

Again, 2 companies that seem very close together. I haven't had a huge amount of exposure, but what few problems I have seen were due to QA issues where things were not assembled as they should have (loose cables and antennas). Not sure about now, but Abit and Asus were making many of the boards used in other brands listed here a few years ago. So to some degree, you may still end up with an Asus or Abit product.

Windows Surface Pro _ 5

The new "executive toy" for those that have to show they are more important than the others in the meeting room, but thank goodness the only real work they do is emails. I can't stand these things. The security chipsets included constantly flake out locking out the user and guaranteeing me a day spent with a whining CEO. Worst yet, there is no fix and Microsoft has to send me a new unit (in about 5-6 days). I have to retrieve the users data from cloud backup. These are probably not bad if your not trying to make use of all the included draconian security. Drive encryption is a gurenteed failure.

HP _ -9000

73% fail rate of all systems over a 3-year lease. I do not know how HP stays in business. I will get a shipment of 10 and it is common to have 2 bad right out of the box. All systems have hard drive failures, but I swear HP must install theirs using jack hammers. Stay away. They are so bad that you should be able to legally slap the sales floor rep at the electronics store if he shows you one.

Flashman, mole and chaosmagnet like this.
  4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Quoted for truth.

5. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am an Apple user and have always been, and has my laptop very reliable.

6. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I've been using HP notebooks for a while now. Not the fastest things around, but they have been pretty dependable. The first lasted about 7 years, the second 5, both failed due to motherboard issues. The HP I'm using now is kind of a MacBook Air clone that I think is into it's third year. At work, those of us who need notebooks are issued HP Elitebooks. Those things are tanks. I've got a 5 year old 8540 that was still working fine after much abuse including submersion in both water and oil. The oily stuff didn't hurt the electronics inside, but it played H-E-double hockey sticks with the screen. It still worked, but looked like crap. I finally did a ram/hdd transplant into an 8440 that IT was recycling. I'm going to get another screen and resurrect it again. Miss the numeric keypad.

kikaida likes this.
  7. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

HP Elite, Dell Vostro, Dell Latitude, and Lenovo business laptops get high marks for reliability.
    Business laptops are not loaded with crapware.

Microsoft offers a variety of laptops through it's online & brick/mortar stores called Signature Series. Dell, Lenovo, HP and other brands with only the software you want.

8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I tried all that but it didn't work, I've ended up breaking up the battery case and removing all the cells, tested each one on a meter, expected to find a dead/low voltage one maybe but no, all were showing around/close to 4 volts. I've since topped them all up via a charger, all seem to be holding their charger so far.

So I have six 18650's batteries to use in flashlights,........I take it that there is no issue on using laptop batteries in torches??

At present I only have a TN12 & S30R, maybe I should now be looking to increase that part of my collection.:)

9. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

HP-I have 2.
    HP 2000 which I have had for over 3 years and have used and abused it with no problems.
    HP Elitebook-refurbished which I only use in special situations.

10. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Supplied by employer
    1988 - Compaq
    1991 - Compaq
    1993 - Thinkpad
    1996 - Acer …. terrible machine
    1998 - Thinkpad … motherboard fried itself after a year
    1999 - Dell
    2001 - Thinkpad
    2004 - Dell
    2007 - Dell

Supplied by me, self employed
    2010 - MacBook Pro (still usable)
    2012 - MacBook Air

Supplied by client
    2014 - Dell (half the power and twice the size/weight of the MBA)

The only one of these that was a real dud was the Acer (awful battery life, hinge cracked within weeks, slow). Had a major failure on a Thinkpad (at start of a 20 hour flight when I was planning to clear four days' email). Stars of the show are the Macs: I bought the MBA to lighten my load (travelling all the time) and provide an emergency backup (the MBP). Both have new batteries (one under Applecare) but no other problems. A new gen MBP or MBA (if they ever arrive) will be tempting.

11. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

FWIW my daughter's only ever laptop, a 2010 MBP, is still running smoothly (with a new battery). My son has bought two Dells in that time.

12. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

The Macs I have owned, have lasted many years. I usually give my old ones, to a good friend or family.

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Apple!

On my second MacBook Air since 2009 because my daughter stole the first one. No problems whatsoever. I taught her to take care of her things. She does exactly that like I do.

14. Theskyiscrying

Theskyiscrying Loaded Pockets

Answer: Apple MacBook Pro
    I'm a software consultant and travel 45 weeks a year with a laptop. We are issued Dell machines and what a piece of crap. 2 years max was what I was getting out of those and realistically 18 mos. A coworker opted to use his personal Apple MBP and had been using it over 2 years at that time, with ZERO problems. I jumped and not regretted it once. I've been using an Apple MBP for 3 years now with zero issues. Also to note I use Parallels to run windows also,with zero issues.

My company now will give you an allowance every 3 years to get a new machine. I'm giving my current computer to the wife and I'm getting the latest and greatest Apple MBP.

I'll never go back to anything other than an Apple product.

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

When I was a full time management consultant in the 'corporate' world, we were on the road about 90% of our time. If we weren't it meant we were not billing! The last major firm I worked for was PwC. Standard equipment was the IBM Thinkpad (this was late 1990's). Heavy, but I loved that machine.

Since about 2005 I've not been in that world, and switched over to Apple MBP. My first one did well for about 4 years; until one day it crashed on me. After much effort we were able to pull data off the hard drive. (Note to self and all and sundry: make sure Time Machine is working! Even better, do a secondary backup with something else, e.g., Intego Personal Backup!)

I replaced that machine with a mid-2010 built MBP, refurbished by Apple. Which is what I'm using now. Basically bullet proof so far. Laughs at travel (yeah, sometimes I score a gig that puts me back on the road!). Or was until I attempted to upgrade from Snow Leopard to El Capitan. Let's just say El Capitan put some demands on my hardware that didn't work out. I'm back with Snow Leopard; will probably get a newer machine able to handle the newer OS versions.

Why? Apple makes no bones about eternal backwards compatibility and support. Automated updates are becoming a hassle; websites are optimized for newer OS X; some software I need won't run etc etc etc!

But I'm committed to staying with Apple and most likely MBP.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  16. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Microsoft Surface Pro. Travels well does everything I need including Skyping, videos along with some office and email work. After the warranty expired I swapped the 128Gb SSHD for a 512Gb. Storage problems solved. The Surface Pro with Win 10 is more rugged than most laptops and while the original Pro that I use is several generations old it works well. The ability to function as a laptop with a functional keyboard or a tablet cannot be matched.

Simply said, it works!

17. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Lenovo or ThinkPads..
    I worked in the wireless networking dept of large hospital group.. 6 large hospitals and endless urgent cares and doc practices. These were the only laptops we bought and they took a beating.

ran23 likes this.
  18. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

Our son has a Mac that was new a year ago and it's worked perfectly, quietly, smoothly, and cooly (low heat) the entire time and seems durable. I have a Lenovo and it's pretty good too. But our home Toshiba is awful, especially on overheating.

19. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I guess I've been lucky so far.

I bought this HP DV8000us back in December 2005, built to my specifications off the HP website. Other than upgrading the hard drive, and replacing the DVD drive, it works up to now, but it just can't handle much anymore because of the old specs. Windows XP is still loaded on it. I just don't use it. It's not a Panasonic Tough Book, but this has taken a lot of abuse and was with me in the sand of the Middle East twice, and around the world during my travels.

[​IMG]

My main laptop is now this HP Pavilion 17 notebook that I built to spec on the HP site for $435. It's already past warranty since it's a year and a half year years old. When not mobile, I keep it on my Deep Cool chill pad (single large fan) that blows air into the intake vents underneath the laptop. I'll probably open it up later this year for some preventative maintenance like blowing any accumulated dust out of the intake and exhaust vents, and maybe replace the processor thermal paste with something like Arctic Silver. I know HP builds these laptops with the cheap, generic thermal paste, which dries up and turns to dust within 1-2 years, so I'm overdue to put in the Arctic Silver.

The single biggest threat to laptops is heat build up, which comes from dust accumulating in the intake and exhaust vents, as well as the processor thermal paste degrading.

[​IMG]

So far no issues with hard drives or optical drives failing. I would like to upgrade the hard drive to SSD since they've become affordable now. Perhaps a Samsung EVO 500GB SSD.

20. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I became the house "computer tech" back in 04 with our first desktop. An Asus windows machine.

My hair began falling out around that time due to the many frustrations involved with keeping the bloody thing running smooth.

By the time my daughters grew up and were provided school laptops our household had 5 windows machines, and the 2 Apple MacBooks I'd moved on to. To which was added a third MacBook for my daughters 17th.

ALL the windows PC's were frustrating and unreliable.

On the other hand the Apple computers have been 100% reliable, still run today, and are a pleasure to use.

But for most everyday stuff like browsing, email, messaging etc we all use iPads now just out of convenience while sitting on the couch.

So yeah, I'll NEVER touch another windows based laptop or PC ever again.

Moshe ben David likes this.