1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Laptop, Kindle, and Tablet?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by texasboy, Feb 20, 2012.

1. texasboy

texasboy Loaded Pockets

I have a laptop and a Kindle. I kinda want a Xyboard. But I cant really justify spending that kind of money when I already have the other two things. What do ya'll think?

2. ThreeWulfMoon

ThreeWulfMoon Loaded Pockets

My first question would be to ask you what you do the most with your laptop? A tablet can't completely replace your laptop, but it probably does the 75% of things you do the most. I have a laptop (work), a Acer Iconia Tab A500 (work), and an iPad (personal). I sold my personal laptop because I never used it anymore. I rarely take my laptop out of my office except when i know for sure that I will be doing heavy duty productivity work. With either of my tablets, i can check email, manage my calendar, browse the web, and do light to moderate productivity work with Documents to Go. You might just be able to replace your Kindle with a tablet using the kindle app.

3. PonchoTA

PonchoTA Empty Pockets

There's a Kindle app for the Xyboard. I just got one, and I love it!

Get it!

4. E.D.C. Fool

E.D.C. Fool Empty Pockets

I stopped carrying the laptop and put the kindle app on my tablet so I didn't have to carry that too. At the office (where I have a desktop) I have a bluetooth keyboard to input on the tablet. The rest of the time I just use the screen keyboard. If I need to get to my laptop sitting at home I can VPN in over my router. I still keep my 3G Kindle by the bed since it's easier on the eyes and the Kindle and tablet app can sync to each other.

5. lokkenjawnz

lokkenjawnz Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to throw this in real quick, any particular reason you want the Xyboard in particular? It's honestly not a very good investment to make these days, it's really at the bottom of the pack of current Android tablets, both specs-wise and its community support.

As I always seem to end up in these tablet threads, I recommend the ASUS Transformer! That's what I use, and it's fantastic, and fairly cheap as well! It should also be getting Ice Cream Sandwich next month, which will make it even better than it already is!

6. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

I've never heard of it until you mentioned it. My first reaction is ... COOL! --> http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF101-A1-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Separately/dp/B004U78J1G

Uh Oh ... I can feel the money wanting to jump out of my pocket. :thinking:

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

As I see it:
    Laptop - for 'proper' computing - applications like photo or video editing where you need the power, for having a practical amount of storage for music and media and for having a physical keyboard.
    Tablet - a portable computer lite - emails, web browsing, watching videos on the move and all the other lightweight applications you use a computer for at home, but don't really need the power. I tend to think of them as a smartphone where you have swapped the phone part for a bigger screen...
    Kindle - for reading on, and thats about it. At the same time because it is a more specific device, it is much better for reading on that either of the above - the form factor, the control layout and most importantly the e-ink display that is much easier on the eyes than a backlit screen.

If I had the money I would love to run a home computer for working on proper, then a smartphone for using on the move. The kindle I am not so excited bout personally - one more gadget to break, have stolen or run out of batteries, and even with the cheaper price of downloads rather than paperbacks, you can buy a lot of physical books before you equal the price of the kindle plus the same books as downloads. The main reason I see for one is for travelling where you can carry a huge supply of books without the physical weight and bulk of them.

8. Thechansen

Thechansen Loaded Pockets

I have too much tech so let me throw my opinion into the ring: I have a Kindle (Keyboard with 3G), iPad (1st generation, 32 GB), and MacBook Air (in addition to a Chromebook which I got for free and a netbook which I picked up for a dirt cheap). For reading books and emergency Internet while traveling, a plain old Kindle is king. Insanely long battery life too boot. The iPad is for a second screen while watching TV, reading the news with coffee in the morning, or traveling light. The laptop is for work and everything that can't be done on the iPad. Android tablets are almost there in terms of polish, apps and usability but iPad still rules the roost. I did buy my mom a Kindle Fire and would seriously consider one for myself if I didn't have the iPad, I just wish it had more storage.

9. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I'm a writer, so I need something that can do serious word processing. I use a netbook. I also carry an iPod touch for general email stuff. I prefer to listen to my books, so a library card and my touch take care of that cheaply. When I buy books they are used paperbacks and much cheaper than the electronic versions.

10. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

Personally, I can't find a use for a tablet, unless you don't have a smartphone. Old as it may sound, I still find the tablets today to be a media-player/smartphone with a bigger and more comfortable screen... and NOTHING more than that.
    Untill tablets could run windows, they can't replace a laptop, and overcome the smartphones just by their screen size.

For me, it's a desktop/laptop for real computing, and a smartphone for facebook/news on the go/angry birds.

11. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

I have had convertible tablets (Compaq TC1100, now a Fujitsu with fast SSD) for years. No laptops, no desktops. I just dock the tablets at home, work, lake home, etc. so I can use a proper keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The Fuji is a little pokey running Photoshop but the convenience of having everything with me all the time is worth it. I read news sites sitting in my recliner chair with morning coffee, then carry the tablet into my home office and snap it into the dock. I also have a Sony T1 e-reader. Not the Kindle, because I don't like the fenced-off garden approach that Amazon has.

So, no, you do not need both a tablet and a laptop. For the time being, you probably do need a separate e-book reader.

I am waiting, now, for a convertible tablet with color e-ink. That will be sunlight readable in a bright cockpit, and battery life will be measured in days. Probably it will be Windoze 8 so I can run all my desktop applications. That will be a one-box solution for me. Availability of such tablets will eliminate the need for e-readers, though they will still be around and as cheap as pocket calculators.

12. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

I have a desktop, tablet, and laptop. Only reason I have a tablet is because I picked up one of those HPs when they were like $99. I barely use it, put a hacked version of Android on it, but I don't like that too much so I'll prolly just stick with the WebOS. May end up giving it to my mom since she seems to like it so much, sell my big 17" laptop and buy a smaller laptop/better tablet, not sure at the moment.

13. texasboy

texasboy Loaded Pockets

I use the laptop for netflix, youtube, forums, and I do all my banking online. I use the Kindle because I'm in the military and cant carry around a bunch of books. I do have a smartphone. I just want a xyboard because they are really cool. lol. My roommate is fixing to get a xyboard and I'll get to play with it some. Thanks for your input.

14. PawTAC

PawTAC Loaded Pockets

I roll with a desktop and a Kindle Touch (for my textbooks)
    Working great so far!

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I got a Kindle Fire as a gift but would LOVE a Xyboard. Let's us know your impressions of it. I also have a 12.5" Dell laptop and a Motorola RAZR Maxx. Awesome... best 4G smartphone yet on the Android Platform.

16. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I have a 15" screen laptop, a 10" screen netbook, and a Kindle Fire (Christmas present). I use the netbook the most, both for around the house use and for travelling, followed by the laptop (sits on my desk with a 23" monitor), and use the Kindle the least. When my laptop and/or netbook die or I finally get sick of them, I plan on replacing them with a 13" or 14" ultrabook/laptop, and just have that and my kindle (and my Droid smartphone). The way I surf the internet, the Kindle sucks compared to the netbook.

17. v137a

v137a Loaded Pockets

I've got a 10" netbook, a Droid Incredible, and an Acer Iconia tablet. Kindle apps all around. At home, I use the tablet for reading/browsing. On the go, I use the phone. When I travel, I take the netbook, because having something in the laptop form factor opens up a lot more options for me should I need them.

A buddy of mine went with a smaller tablet and a standard rugged cellphone, and that seems to work for him.

18. texasboy

texasboy Loaded Pockets

I have kindle apps on my laptop and my phone which is an android. My roommate decided against the xyboard and is just gonna buy a laptop instead.

19. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

just get a really fast smart phone and if you need - a laptop

20. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

my 2 cents...you can get the Asus Transformer Prime. That way you have a tablet with a keyboard dock. But basically for me I have kindle fire and 96% of the time I use it for Netflix.