1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lanyards galore! Post questions, designs, pics, etc. - Part 1

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Mahachippy, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

Seven labors of Hercules? Wait, those are too nice to wear while cleaning out a stable.

2. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Bracelet for my wife.[​IMG]

Key lanyard for my best friend.[​IMG]

3. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

A dreamcatcher fob.

[​IMG]

4. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

Stormdrane, that is just beautiful. How did you close off the paracord around the keyring?

5. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

The piece of gutted paracord was a little longer than needed, so the longer length kept the ends of the paracord pushed together(could have been melted/glued together, but wasn't necessary), completely covering the keyring before I started the dreamcatcher half hitches, with a constrictor knot, over the ends of the paracord. The second strand of cord for the snake knots is also looped over that section and tightened, further keeping it covered and in place.

6. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

Clever, very clever. Thanks!

7. Titanium

Titanium Empty Pockets

I am really impressed by all of the creative and beautiful lanyards in this post. I have an order of paracord on the way and hope to post some creations here soon.

In the meantime, I have a problem and was hoping to see if anyone here had any ideas. Shown below is my lanyard "key" to a Seadoo personal watercraft. The plastic on the plastic-coated string started falling apart on another Seadoo lanyard I had.

[​IMG]

Shown below is the 8 mm wide stainless steel crimp that was used to bind the two pieces together. I have looked all over and can not find these stainless steel crimps, or the plier/tool used to do the crimping.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In the meantime, I used the curly cord from an old cell phone car charger to replace the original plastic-coated string. I actually like the look and feel of the car charger curly cord better. I ended up using cage clips (used to build rabbit cages) to crimp the loop. The cage clips, while functional, don't look very nice.

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any ideas on where to find these stainless steel crimps? Or maybe a different way of forming the loops needed?

8. DSC

DSC Banned

That's called a swage and they sell them at Lowe's, HD, etc.

9. Titanium

Titanium Empty Pockets

DSC,

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the swages at Lowes and HD, etc. Those swages are 1) aluminum, and 2) much much thicker than what is on the Seadoo lanyard.

If anything, my Seadoo lanyard looks like it has a metal crimp like those used on commercially-made mass-produced lanyards (the kind used for security cards, identification, etc). I've done a lot of searching at commercial lanyard websites, but haven't found any sources or tools for someone at home to make such a crimp.

I even bought some of the aluminum swages that you mentioned and, since they were so darn thick, tried drilling (reaming) them out in order to make the wall thickness a little more manageable. This effort failed in that I wasn't able to keep the drill centered in the aluminum swage and one side of the swage wall would end up being significantly thicker/thinner than the other side.

I suppose that I could find some stainless sheet, cut some strips to the proper size, and make up some custom forming blocks and tools in order to make this crimp, but I was hoping for an off-the-shelf, yet affordable alternative.

10. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Well Stormdrane, i have to tell you, Ive copied some of your work, but this one i think you've out done yourself on, very nice!!! JR

11. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

Here is a link for Cabela's that might fix your lanyard. Greenhead Gear® Quick-Fix® Decoy Cord Crimps

12. DSC

DSC Banned

You were going to use those with the swage tool, right? Just checking...I'm sure you were...only real way to set them.

Here are some more...they are commonly used in parachuting on cutaway and ripcord cables...
    Paragear oval sleeves and tools
    On that page:
    M5827
    M596
    Sleeve press tool: M6900

Hope that helps...the 3/32 should be tiny enough...

Or those would be a lot better...much more reasonably-priced alternative to the paragear stuff. It's not like you're gonna skydive with the stuff or anything. :)

13. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

:bow:

14. rhysman1

rhysman1 Empty Pockets

Hi guys, this is a great thread O0 , Can anyone tell me please where to source multi-cam cord from please? :shrug:

15. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Multi-camo cord?

I know Countycomm.com has ACU camo paracord.

It looks like Digital camo and can personally vouche for it.

Another great source for different paracords is Lighthound.com which sells paracord by the foot.

Supplycaptain.com is another great place.

16. Mike Grandin

Mike Grandin Loaded Pockets

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. deano42

deano42 Loaded Pockets

Hih

Head over to supplycaptain, they do these four camo types:

[​IMG]

L to R

Multi camo: Desert camo: Woodland camo: ACU digital

Thanks
    deano

18. rhysman1

rhysman1 Empty Pockets

Thanks Deano

19. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

:iagree: O0 Stormdrane!!!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

20. ih8dos

ih8dos Empty Pockets

DB,

What are you using to wrap the ends of the paracord? Do you remember where you got it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.