1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lanyards galore! Post questions, designs, pics, etc. - Part 1

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Mahachippy, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

The ones I've seen are relatively *huge* for lanyard work. At least the lanyard size I deal with.

2. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

Did some comparisons

http://gilwellreunion.homestead.com/DiamondKnot.html
    http://whatknot.tripod.com/knots/Fship.htm
    http://www.chineseknotting.org/overhand/
    last link for reference not instructions

If I follow these instructions it comes out goofy
    http://www.chineseknotting.org/button/howto1/
    But this one make sit come out right
    http://www.totheweb.com/cuc/knots16.html

Seems , to me, there is a variation in the last move before going thru the "diamond" between different directions.
    Which one works for you? Or am I just misreading it all? :confused:

BTW, I seem to be having good luck with this one too
    http://www.satincord.com/knots/buttonknot.htm

3. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

I guess it is more a matter of what works for you. I think the first link is a pretty good one. The second one didn’t look all that great, but we all learn in different ways, so it could just be me.
    The first one is the one I first tried to use, and for some reason I had a hard time with it even though I knew it’s the same as the diamond knot (I’d forgotten about that :doh:). Once I’d gotten the initial knot down, I went back to that sight to do the lesson for doubling it, and really got lost.
    Actually, it is the same knot. I just had a really hard time with it until I found a set of instructions that worked for me. I still have to pull out my book to double it. There does seem to be a difference in how they finish it. Other than that they seem the same.

The one that finally worked for me was a tutorial on BBC that someone provided.
    http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=34
    I think it must have been the close-up pics and clarity of them that did it for me. Also, the ]

BTW, I seem to be having good luck with this one too
    http://www.satincord.com/knots/buttonknot.htm

[/quote] Whatever works for you. I looks to start out very well, but then I get lost in it towards the end. It also finishes differently than the others. Good job on looking up those links.

4. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

I'm finding that the big part of it all is tightening. If I don't tighten it the right way when pulling the cords and all it gets flubbed up. The other thing is once the knot is tightened, it requires a firm grip to hold the knot in place while working the cord throughout it to get it into the position I want and/or take up slack.
    When initially tightening, I usually end up with a loop sticking out loose from the knot that has to be followed through and tightened down.

Other thing I've noticed is, as Greenled once mentioned in another post about monkey fists, the cord's structure affects the outcome. Seems easier to make this knot using paracord without the inner strands removed.

How many here are/ are not removing inner strands from their paracord?
    What do you make with paracord that still has the inner strands in it and what do you make with cord that have the strands removed?
    Am most curious

5. ghostrider

ghostrider Empty Pockets

I actually think it's a little bit easier to tie the Diamond/Chinese Button Knot with the strands in (go figure), although I have done it with the strands removed. Works both ways. I do find that the use of a small, steel crochet hook can be a big help when tying knots like that.

I usually take the strands out for my Cobra Twist, and Square/Round Sennit. Sometimes I'll remove it for the King Cobra or Cobra.

It also depends on the paracord. Not all paracord is the same. Some has a tighter weave then others, some is shrunk some not.

6. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

Here's an example with two 3-strand crown sinnet keychains. I tied the same number of knots for both, but removed the inner strands for the smaller one. The larger one used 5 feet of cord in 12 knots and the smaller used 4 feet of cord. If I wanted the same length, I would have ended up doing more work, knots, and using more cord than the one with the inner strands intact. The cord tends to get twisted/tangled more with the strands removed.

[​IMG]

7. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Is that an overhand knot you're using to finish the sinnets, Stormdrane?

8. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Stormdrane you killing me here!  :laugh:  Everyday there is your work posted and it looks great!    O0 

GG

9. Stormdrane

Yep, simple overhand knot. I started there with the overhand knot and knotted down, added a split ring, a couple more knots and trimmed and melted the ends. Just slowly tighten ithe overhand knot to keep the cords from getting twisted.

Thanks. ;D

10. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Nice, thanks!

11. wpowell

wpowell Loaded Pockets

Hey Drane...
    A double Matthew Walker would look nice on those 3 color jobs...tied left or right handed, you could go with or against the twist!!!

-will

12. Stormdrane

Thanks, I'll have to try that one. :)

13. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

Some more of my modest attempts.
    Stormdrane, I tried the 3 strand braid but couldn't figure how to end. Any other suggestions besides the overhand knot?

[​IMG]

14. Stormdrane

You might try the double Matthew Walker knot like wpowell suggested for me. I looked a few diagrams and it looks easy enough(looks are notoriously deceiving when it comes to knots :p).

15. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

I've already used the walker knot o other items, but isn't that for use with two strands?
    How would you make do with three as in the braid?

16. Stormdrane

Here's a link, the double Matthew Walker diagram is at the bottom left of the page(3 strands).

17. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Could you please post a "real life" pic of the Matthew Walker? I'm getting all sorts of funky knots -most looking like a poorly tied triple overhand knot (meaning an overhand knot tied with 3 strands at the same time). Something doesn't look right.

Thanks.

18. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

thanks, gonna try it tonight

19. Stormdrane

Ok, 'if' I tied these correctly, here's a couple of double Matthew Walker knots, front and back side pics from some scrap pieces I tried it with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer: me too!!!
    oh boy.....still trying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.