1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lanyards-FOBs / Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Tony Sal, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Decisions decisions! Great looks and talented folks out there...
    Pics please- useful? decoration? knife art? Help me decide!

Adahn likes this.
  2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I like them to get them out of my pocket much easier, esp. with deep carry clips.
    On tip-down carry only knives they (and the lanyard holes with them) are absolutely useless as long as you want to carry them clipped.

I'm a bit sorry I can't put one on my CRKT Swindle, I'd carry it more with a lanyard on it...

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I always carry a knife and flashlight

[​IMG]

4. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

Ive got a small lanyard on my backup knife so i can pull it quickly since it's in my bag. But other than that I keep my main one as low profile as possible.

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. quickster47
    • In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 Loaded Pockets

Which sort of brings up a legitimate question of other than decoration and perhaps helping exit the pocket, is there any other reason for the lanyard or fob being on a knife?

Carl

6. Slayer2003
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Slayer2003 Loaded Pockets

Only lanyard I have came stock with my Spidie PPK. While I love it on that knife, I don't think I would like it an any of my other knives. I do want to try making my own at some point, but can't see spending money on pre-made ones just to add to my knives. At the same time, I don't know that I WON'T like em on my other knives, but it seems like a trivial expense to me right now.

Same with the beads n stuff. I applaud the effort and machine work done to some of these fine specimens, but most of the time I think their asking prices are just ludicrous. I'm not one to judge by any means however, as I can be called out for spending near $300 on a Military...I have a thing for the CRUWEAR/grey theme with Spiderco.

Different strokes, ya know?

fourSAK, Shike, boyo17 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

a fob can be useful in gaining extra grip to a shorter knife, for example my ZT770 handle is too short for my hands, having a fob on it gives me a little more when I need it.
    I have also heard of people using brighter colored ones so they can find the knife if dropped outside, especially at night

Shike, Tony Sal and quickster47 like this.
  8. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

...and of course wrist length lanyards when 'working aloft' - in case you drop it!!

Shike, Mr Thriven and quickster47 like this.
  9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

That was meant for you sailors out there......

Shike and quickster47 like this.
  10. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

After dropping a Victorinox Huntsman into a frac blender tub once, I started putting lanyards on my knives. The knife I dropped is now somewhere 15,000 feet under the northern tier of Pennsylvania never to be seen again.

Tony Sal, Shike and quickster47 like this.
  11. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can't wait to see a 15,000 foot lanyard... :D

12. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

Ok, that's a lanyard on a Mnandi? Correct? Never saw that. I had considered getting one but never did due to the lack of a lanyard hole. Does it keep it from closing fully or get in the way ever? Can all Mnandis get a lanyard? Is the clip removable? Please elaborate.

Grizz

Gunsmoke609, Tony Sal and Adahn like this.
  13. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

The lanyard could also help you having a better grip or even serve as sort of a handle extension on short handle knives.

Tony Sal likes this.
  14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

The standoff is concave so I put the leather lanyard around it but thinned out the area around the standoff first.
    It never made me problems about opening/closing the knife. The clip is not removable but you can turn it around for left hand carry (it's a very simplistic cosnstruction with only a pivot screw and a clip screw with standoff. Remove the screw and the knife is open at the backside). The little hole between the clip screw and the wood is for a little pin in the clip that falls into it to preven wiggling (you can see that better on the chrisreeve com site where you can purchase replacement clips for the Mnandi.

Tony Sal, Gunsmoke609 and gdwtvb like this.
  15. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

This fob on my 556 is the perfect example of this.

[​IMG]

Folded up along the back of the handle fills out the grip and provides great cushion for heavy cutting. Stretched out it provides a longer grip that I can wrap my pinkie finger around for more control.

The other thing not yet mentioned, I carry the mine grip in the bottom of my front pocket - not clipped - the fob makes the knife very easy to find in the bottom of my pocket full of keys, change, lighters, and whatever else. The fob makes it very quick and easy to find the knife in my pocket and fish it out and have it end up in my hand in the right position and orientation put use without searching for it...

Tony Sal and survivorman like this.
  16. olywa

olywa Empty Pockets

I put a pinky lanyard on many of my knives. Sized correctly, it really helps to lock the knife into your hand. It also let's you drop the knife and reaquire it easily (and safely) if you need to use your knife hand momentarily for another purpose.

Tony Sal and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Essexman

Essexman Loaded Pockets

There are lanyards and lanyards and lanyards.

Wrist lanyard - so as to not drop tool on wife holding the ladder/not to drop tool into river, you get the idea.......

[​IMG]

Cool lanyards made for cool knifes, YMMV !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, it's just a bit of string really.

18. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

I can't imagine having a big thing like that dangling off my knife... I think I'd be really distracted by it while cutting. No lanyards on any of my knives, even the keyring on SAKs sometimes annoys me

dan46er, dork and Tony Sal like this.
  19. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

As I said before I like to have a lanyard on my knifes but what I don't get is the sculls.
    Why sculls on knife? Seems a bit pathetic to me, but if you like it then at least with GITD eyes ;)

[​IMG]

Shike, Tony Sal and quickster47 like this.
  20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I really enjoy making them, and in most cases I like how they look, but I don't use them for EDC. I do use them for outdoor use, when I'm in any situation where dropping my knife could result in losing it or being a pain in the butt to pick back up, or especially if I'm using a large fixed blade and doing any kind of chopping, etc.

On smaller knives I may be inclined to use them for EDC. I have used these two on these knives many times. On the Ladybug, it helps to add some grip area and keep it in your hand and was used as a way to clip and carry it, and on the Dragonfly it was used as a secondary means to clip and carry the knife while in the ocean. If I do use a lanyard, I like for them to have more function than just a piece of string hanging off the butt of the knife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]