1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Landscaper needs edc knife selection help...Please

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Agent Iron, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Agent Iron

Agent Iron Empty Pockets

Wow, I am loving this site!

I am a landscaper by trade...which is most of my waking hours. I would love some assistance in selecting a couple of knives for edc. I would like all purpose folding knives that I can use for a variety of chores. I want something that I can deploy rapidly for selfdefense, but also something rock solid that can cut rope, twine, plastic, landscape fabric, boxes and who knows what else. I want a tool that can get filthy at times and still perform. I need a locking mechanism that can get dirty and not fail me...I can not be down with injury.

I am tired of junk knives as I usually choose them because they are bound to get filthy and maybe ruined...at least that was my thinking. I fear that regular lock backs will not always work well as dirt seems to keep them from locking...I don't like that. I have had cheaper gerber liner locks fail me over time....not a pleasant suprise.

I think I am forced to look at a stainless type of steel due to the enviornment it will be kept in...sweat, moisture, dirt...
    I really want one hand deployment as I do not always have a free hand.
    A pocket clip is likely going to be helpful for convenience.
    I am not sure which locking mechanisms would be satisfactory for my application.

I am looking at the griptilions...even though they are not the most comfortable in my hand. The axis lock and blade offerings make this look good.

In Benchmade I also like the look of the Stryker, and the Apparition.

I really like the Kabar Dozier folding hunter in D2. I know it is not stainless....I just really want one. Any feedback on it would be great.

The Spyderco's native, Delica, and Endura look like good options...I am concerned about the locking mechanism when dirty though. They appear easy to clean...I just don'w want a failure in the field.

I reallly want to order a couple knives soon, I just want to make good choices.

Any help would be wonderful!
    Thanks
    AI

2. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Does it have to be a folder? Seems like if lock failure is a big deal in your line of work. Could a simple fixed blade that is fast and easy to deploy work? Maybe a neck knife.

3. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

I used to be a landscaper. For a folding knife I would recommend a Strider SMF because of the rugged framelock design and robust blade.

4. Agent Iron

Agent Iron Empty Pockets

Actually most of the time I have been using a CRKT neck knife. It is an inferrior knife, so it would not compare to some of the better neck knives. Sometimes as a neck knife it is not easy access, depending on the situation. I do have some fixed blade Mora's for the purpose you suggested, but the trouble is, I often have a multi-tool, and a large digging knife like tool on my hip at the same time. I can get to my pocket, having another blade on my hip is going to be too much.

5. Agent Iron

Agent Iron Empty Pockets

A Strider...oh crap...with credit markets so tight, I don't know if I will be able to get a second mortgage to finance that sucker! :) I have never heard a bad word about the Striders.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    AI

6. UFMetalEng

UFMetalEng Loaded Pockets

For folding blades look at

Buck Strider Collaborations
    Spyderco Salt Series

Really a fixed blade would be better,, easier to use and no lock to clean

Look at

Mora 2000 (www.ragweedforge.com)
    Ka-Bar Becker Necker
    Buck Mayo Kaala
    Spyderco Aqua/Rock Salts

All of these are possible suggestions and none would break the bank

7. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

Working as a mechanic, I carry a Kershaw Junkyard Dog II all the time at work. This knife deals with dirt and grease and about anything imaginable with no problems. It has a belt clip, and is a flipper for easy opening with gloves on.

8. Agent Iron

Agent Iron Empty Pockets

Thank you thank you for your suggestions! I have been really wanting a Becker Necker for some time now but thought they were discontinued....and I gave up hope. Your suggestion provoked me to look again and what did I find....I think you know.....I now have a Necker on the way....I have to find the pocket clip that Ethan mentioned that goes with the necker for a belt or pocket. Any suggestions here would be great. I also ordered a Native as well. Hey maybe I will get more knives! I have some Mora's, but no 2000 yet... :)
    Thanks
    AI

9. UFMetalEng

UFMetalEng Loaded Pockets

The clip you are looking for is on the Ka-Bar website under TDI Belt Clip.. it is out of stock now, also I don't know if Tek-Loks will fit but you could try one.

10. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

11. devilchasnme

devilchasnme Guest

If you get a pocket knife you should definately get a lanyard for it that clips to your belt or belt loop. (I also carried a knife in the Navy every day and kept it in a belt sheath but one day the flap didn't get snapped... bye bye knife.)

Read my story here -
    http://devilchasnme.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-knife-lanyard-one-i-wear-most.html

I've made bunches of these for my biker buds and guys I've worked with that go up poles and climb trees for a living. No one's ever lost their knife. And you can make one yourself.

Dave
    http://devilchasnme.blogspot.com/

12. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

You would probably enjoy a Spyderco Paramilitary for this task. It is designed to be used under grimy, dirty conditions and is not only easy to clean due to the open back design, but the lock should even work well in the presence of dirt and crud. It's easy enough to close the compression lock one handed but takes a little practice.