1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LA Police Gear Operator Tactical Pants - review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by mchlwise, Oct 24, 2008.

1. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

not trying to be belligerent, but what would make you think that they would be water-resistant? They don't advertise them as such.

they're poly-cotton, with a surprisingly high nap for tactical pants. Of course they're going to absorb water.

I did treat mine with Nik-wax, which helps a bit, but they are, after all....cotton.

2. jrau13

jrau13 Empty Pockets

Nothing made me think that they were. Just informing you what happened to me so others would no what to expect if planning on going outdoors with a chance of rain. I have since bought some Nik-wax as well but haven't used it yet.
    Don't get me wrong I love the pants and will be wearing them tomorrow for an all day gig.

3. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

I broke down and ordered a pair (one size up) @ $20. Completely worth it for the cost. Had several loose threads here and there, stiching is OK, feel is good. Thumbs up!

4. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I ordered 3 khaki ones, my 3 black ones would be a bit too hot for summer I think.
    I don't wear any other pants anymore, but after all I only had cheap pants.

5. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I don't post here too often, but I saw this topic & gotta jump in here. I work in the admitting office in a state psyche facility & we are required to wear a scrub top & either scrub pants or a uniform pant. Personally I don't dig the scrub pants so I own several different kinds of unifrom pants, from single color bdu (no camo allowed @ work), 5.11 tac pant, to the Lapolicegear tac pant. After 2 years of repairing the 5.11 pants' crotch & pockets, I bought some of the lapopo pants, & have worn 'em for 3 months now. They haven't even started fading. I love these jokers!!! They feel great (I work a lot of 16 hr shifts , fit good (as long as you take their advice on sizing) & I have yet to bust open a crotch, which all 6 pairs of my 5.11's busted within the first 6 months. For $20, you can't go wrong with these.

6. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

I just received 2 pair of these pants today. I ordered them in Khaki and OD. I really like them so far. Great features. I especially like the 2 extra front pockets, and the internal pockets in the thigh cargo pockets. The slot in the top of the thigh cargo pockets so you can comfortably carry a Maglite sized light is genius.

You can't go wrong for the price.

+1

Mark

7. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

I found LAPoliceGear about a year ago. I have placed about 4 orders since. I loved their clearance section when I fist found them. One thing that bugged me was that there were a couple items that I tried to decide which one to get. When my order came, a couple of the items had been discontinued and I wish I would have had the option to get the other one.

I bought 2 pairs of Tactical Pants. They didn't list a price, but they looked similar to 5.11s and were $7.99 a pair. The brand ended up being Public Works, which I have never heard of, and can't find any info online.

They are actually quite different than the 5.11s that I have seen.

5.11s have the rear slash-pockets on the butt with that utility strap on the right one. The PWs have standard looking pockets, but they are very deep. Inside those pockets, is a smaller pocket up high (on both sides) that fits my wallet nicely without allowing to fall to the back of my knee. In the left side I can carry a pair of handcuffs in the smaller pocket and my Monadnock baton in the longer pocket with no problems and they both conceal fairly well. This works when I am trying to less like Law Enforcement while still carrying my gear.

The front pockets are regular, except the right pocket has a small pocket sewn into its liner a few inches from the bottom. It holds about $2 in quarters, so that they don't lay loose or get stuck in my knife.

Regular cargo pockets, except they are more subdued that regular BDU type because the pocket doesn't extend from the pants (not sure how else to describe that).

They also have the "cell-phone" pocket on the left thigh like the 5.11s do.

Big D-ring on the right/front belt loop.

I just wish they still had more pairs of these. Once I got them and liked them I tried to order more, but they were discontinued.

I have a black pair and a khaki pair.

I was going to get the Ones that you guys are talking about, but they don't carry my waiste size in those.

8. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

Story of my life. I can't tell you how many times I find some article of clothing I really, really like a lot, only to find out it is discontinued. Now... when I find something I like AND they have it in my size AND colors that I like... I will buy multiples. I don't buy a lot of clothes. It is hard to find what I want... so when I do find it, I will buy it in every color I like... 3 or 4 of the same thing in different colors. I have passed up on too many things, only to go back and find that they don't exist anymore.

I learned my lesson.

To quote the great comedian Steven Wright,"I'm an extra medium, it's like medium, but a little extra."

Mark

9. NYguy

NYguy Loaded Pockets

I bought these LAPG pants and have been wearing them for a week now. The reason I got the LAPG pants is because of their ridiculously cheap price and because I was not satisfied with both of the 5.11 original and TDU pants.

The LAPG pants are light and comfortable to wear in this summer heat. The slanted cargo pockets are perfect in size and dividers. My favorite part is the 2 front slit pockets that are just the perfect size. I carry my 3oz Fox OC and Surefire C2 in 1 pocket and it doesn't even bulge out much. My only complaint would be the quality of stitching which I hope will hold out well for a while. I can't believe that LAPG managed to make these pants at such a price while other "tactical" brand names sell their pants $40 and above.

The original 5.11 has small cargo pockets and the single cellphone/flashlight pocket was too tight to get things out of fast, but most annoying was the heat in the summer. The 5.11 TDU has great pockets and design, but my problem was with the heavy fabric and the baggy cut which made everything wobble around when I would walk fast or run. Also, It wasn't comfortable to sit in them felt like cardboard. Although, the best features of 5.11 is their self adjusting waist system, the back slash pockets and superb quality in construction.

10. SEDACON

SEDACON Loaded Pockets

11. Easygoing

Easygoing Empty Pockets

I've got both 5.11 tac lite pros and the LAPG pants and just wanted to toss in a couple observations. The 5.11 have nicer stitching (looks better). The 5.11 front high pockets will fit a pistol magazine or other slim similar size device (phone) but not an iPhone. Just won't fit. The LAPG's front high pockets, on the other hand, fit an iPhone/BB/Droid perfectly and it turns out it's quite a good placement for avoiding damage (just don't hit that spot much).

I love the 5.11's but I really like the LAPG and (especially when they went on sale for $15 a pair) are in incredible value.

I now have a half a dozen of the LAPG pants.

There's a cotton shortage now, due to drought in China and Pakistan, so if you were thinking about getting some, get some now, they're probably going to be more expensive in 2011, until American farmers increase production of cotton to make up for the shortage and prices come back down a bit.

my 2 cents

12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

The LAPG FUBARS went down to 11.99 last year. Some mis-stitches but still a good all around trouser for everyday activities.

13. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I am going to pick up some of these pants, even though I despise the name of them.

As far as $160.00 pants, a fool and his money are soon parted. I can see if you need to spend that much for a pair of leathers for motorcycle riding, but for a pair of pants? Some people are laughing all the way to the bank. There is no way they are paying over $30.00 or $40.00 for those pants from their supplier which means they want to make over a hundred dollars profit on a pair of pants? Good grief.

14. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I just got a pair of the Basic Operator pants. They don't have the lower calf pocket and might be missing other things. But I preferred them because they look more like a normal cargo pant. They fit great and seem durable.

I ordered a pair of the Stealth Operator pants in the same size (32x30) and they were really loose in the waist and super baggy in the legs. I'm exchanging them for another pair of the Basic Operators.

At least one person was hoping they were waterproof, but these are cotton and are not going to work. If you want something waterproof you need to get nylon pants. They sell nylon cargo pants are outdoor stores like REI. But, they sure aren't as inexpensive as these cargos from LAPG.

15. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

the LAPG add for the stealth operator pants says that they shrink and to order a size up

16. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I saw that in the description online. But they were so ridiculously baggy compared to the Operators that I decided not to risk it and just exchange it.

17. Redbeane

Redbeane Loaded Pockets

great pants, with a caveat

these pants are great. the fit is superior to my 5.11's, and despite absorbing water, dry quickly. the caveat: the material takes a pounding in the dryer. let 'em drip dry. i have found the khaki to be the least tactical looking, and haven't had second glance when i have worn them.

18. Xapalambos

Xapalambos Loaded Pockets

I have tried both 5.11 tac lites and these. I have to say I like the LAPDgear operators better for fit and function, but the 5.11 are nicer quality. There is a huge price difference.
    I work at an auto dealership and do a lot of outdoor activities. I can carry everything I need to have and not look like out of the ordinary.
    Great pants

19. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I picked some of the "fubar" ones up at $14.99. The only thing I could find wrong was some stitching that wasn't as "pretty" in some areas compared to others. Considering I wear them camping, or for other outdoor stuff, the stitching isn't even a concern. Great pants for a great price.

20. Igor01

Igor01 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the observations, guys, I was eyeing these but wasn't sure about getting them since the price is suspiciously low.