1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LA Police Gear Operator Tactical Pants - review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by mchlwise, Oct 24, 2008.

1. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Yea they were! I usually wear about a 36 (khakis, jeans). The 36 usually shrinks down enough to fit just right with a belt (I'm about 6'1").
    I'm sorry but I love cookies!

The wifey says I should gotten a 38. The waist band has cinching velcro straps on the sides and that should accommodate the size differential!
    Go up about two sizes!

2. Elduke

Elduke Empty Pockets

Thank you for the warning El Verbo and I appreciate it. :highfive:

3. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

No prob.

Two El's do make a right! Get it?

4. tookie

tookie Loaded Pockets

Shoot, I ordered one size up as well, I normally wear a 34, and sometimes that is loose on me. I got a 36, and it just fits, trying to understand their return policy, can I still return the pants I tried on?

Def shoulda got 2 sizes up, either that or lose weight :lolhammer:

edit

Actually, since a 36 fits me tight, I'm wondering if I should get a 40 instead of 38

5. tookie

tookie Loaded Pockets

So, I ordered size 40, and although they are quite a bit bigger than me, the velcro adjustments can still can it snug enough for me to wear without a belt if need be.

Gotta echo the good reviews on these pants. Been wearing them for a couple days and they are definitely one of the better cargo pants I've had so far.

A lot of threads that need trimming, but hey, for $25 cant really go wrong with these.

6. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I got the same size as tookie and they fit great. i do have to use the velcro. BUT! the pants are now a bit more baggier than I'm used to. I don't know what it is, I have always been in between sizes or get a size waaay bigger in some clothes.

The pants are great. So many pockets and compartments, I find myself wanting to carry more stuff.

I just hope that with all this positive feedback and response, that the manufacturer makes more colors such as coyote and gray.

Great pants!

7. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

:iagree: on the more colors.

8. Elduke

Elduke Empty Pockets

LA Police Gear just introduced a new set of pants (ACU Tactical Pants) which are $5 cheaper than the Operator Pants. I will be ordering a couple of pairs of the new pants along with a couple of pairs of the Operator Pants soon. I will post pics when they arrive and try to compare the two. Now I just need to purchase boots.

9. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Hey! I just ordered a pair of these as well. They were a relatively cheap Christmas present to myself, and man are they a lot of pant for 25$. I'll almost certainly be ordering another two or three soon.

The build quality isn't exactly awesome. The button on the fly feels ready to come off soon. After just a couple of washes, the buttons on the back pockets have really beaten up the flap covering them, leaving noticeable imprints. But the poly/cotton twill fabric is nicer than my last pair of pants from Wallie's, which practically disintegrated after a couple months of regular wear and wash. Surprisingly comfortable, light enough to wear when it gets warm, but with enough insulation to make them noticeably more comfortable on cold days.

The design is top notch. LAPolice Gear couldn't have picked a better one to steal :p
    Before I found these, I was actually on the verge of fashioning my own! But these pants leave so little to be desired, the only reason to do that now would be a custom tailored fit. I love the front utility pockets, they've always been on my wishlist actually! And these have lived up to my expectations. Perfect place for a cell phone and multi-tool, right now.
    I also quite like the organization system in the cargo pockets, and the streamlined pleat-less look.

On sizing: I actually ordered a touch too large! I'm used to wearing pretty relaxed fit jeans in size 38 or 40. 40s always fit well enough, even if they were a little loose, so I went ahead and ordered the Operator pants in size 42. These don't fall off, but they're a bit too roomy. I find myself using the adjustment straps to keep them in place.

10. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Just received a pair of the ACU Tactical pants today. Quite impressed with all the features LAPG crammed into these pairs of pants. From what I see so far the good:

5.11 like rear pocket design
    The front utility pockets (prefer them without the flap),
    Dual D rings
    Lower thigh pockets

Haven't had a chance to wear them yet. Lets see what happens after the first wash.

11. sam3

sam3 Empty Pockets

i wear a 36 waist in everything,ordered 38 waist for these and should have got 40's they wern't even close and got sent back wich cost way too much.

12. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

My order was placed earlier in the week and just came in today. Thanks for the up-sizing tips on the Operator's cargo pants. Mine is 1 size up from my normal Docker's size and it fits just a tad loose. For the record I picked the khaki colored pants.

In addition to the Operator's pants, I also purchased the 5.11 Tac-lite pants (coyote colored) in my normal trousers sizes. They have better fit and finish and seem to fit better than the Operator's pants. However, the fabric is thicker and stiffer (perhaps it was chemically treated?) and so I will know better only after a few washes. The side pockets are smaller than those on the LAPG Operator's pants and without organizers in them. The 5.11 Tac-lite pants use metal versus the LAPG Operator's plastic D-rings on the two belt loops in front. Aesthetically speaking, I personally prefer the more civilian looking 5.11 than the battle-ready look on the Operator's pants. The Operator's pants have slanted large cargo pockets as well as leg pockets. Very paratrooper looking.

Not sure why I did not see the other ACU version of the LAPG pants. Should have ordered that at the same time to save some expensive shipping charges to Hawaii. Anyway, I seldom use any of the back-pocket flaps and would prefer the rounded rear pockets on the ACU design. After all, it's only $20?

With Aloha,

Clarence

13. tm3

tm3 Loaded Pockets

i prefer the style of the ACU pants.

should i go up 2 sizes with them, just like the operator tactical?

14. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I would recommend to go 1 size up. Mines fits just perfect since they used a lot of elastic in the waist. Technically speaking I could wear them without a belt if I wanted to.

15. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

Best of luck to your order. There are a number of variables involved making it very difficult to guess. The Operator's pants have the following disclaimer on the product page:
    "These pants run true to size, and are built so that the maximum size they can be will be the size that you ordered. The waist cinch system will then allow you to tighten them up as needed. Some customers are finding they need to order one waist size larger than they normally wear for 5.11 pants."

The newer ACU pants don't have the above disclaimer on the page. It probably is really a matter of quality control and I wonder if the sizes may vary across different colors. Sorry to be not very helpful, but if I were to order the ACU pants, I would also order 1 size up girth and length, based on my experiences with the Operator's pants.

With Aloha,

Clarence

16. DHSagent

DHSagent Empty Pockets

I bought two pairs, one in OD and in coyote in 38x30. I wear them for work in a hospital setting. They don't look too tactical compare to some of scrubs with multiple cargo pockets. I normally wear 36 to 38 and the 38s fit just right with no room to spare. I figure if I lose weight, the velcro straps will come in handy. I like the front utility pockets for flashlights and scissors. The slanted cargo pockets are big enough to stash the stethoscope in. The opening on top of the pockets is great for immediate holsting syringes or tourniquets. I cut off the string ties right away and folded the rear pockets flaps into the pockets. Overall great pair of pants for the price. Tad gear pants are great but too pricey in this economy.

17. 1stcavmp77

1stcavmp77 Loaded Pockets

man, i just found out about these pants the other day and was going to start a thread about them at least looking like the ultimate edc pants (i don't have a pair yet :shrug:). but ya'll beat me to it. i have got to get me some.

18. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

Need to get some too... they're down to $20! Holy smokes... :woohoo:

19. Turtle75

Turtle75 Loaded Pockets

I have mine on right now. I love em!

20. jrau13

jrau13 Empty Pockets

Wore mine all day yesterday for work. I bought 2 pairs a few weeks back and they are great. Even better considering the price.

I wear a 36 normally but ordered both pairs in 38 and they are a little baggy but still good. One thing is they are NOT even close to being water resistant. I was working outside setting up an audio rig all day and it started pouring. We had to finish so we pushed through the rain. I had a North Face gore-tex coat and North Face boots one so I was good there. The pants on the other hand seem to absorb every drop of rain. My lower half, minus the boots, was SOAKED :mad: It was cold out as well so this wasn't the best feeling.

Just something to keep in mind. Other then that they are well worth $20 :thumbsup: