1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

LA Police Gear Operator Tactical Pants - review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by mchlwise, Oct 24, 2008.

1. mchlwise

mchlwise Loaded Pockets

I just got these pants in, and here are my first impressions:

Great pants at an incredible price. :cool:

As background: I'm a part-time professional pyrotechnician. Right now, I'm in the middle of the run of an indoor theatre production in Salt Lake. My life doesn't depend on the pants, but I have a number of different tools that I need to have on me, easily accessible, preferably discreet (nothing shiny backstage), with the ability to be highly mobile when necessary, and made of 50+% cotton. Until today, I've just been using regular black BDU pants.

I LOVE the layout of the pockets and accessories (a note on that later). The ripstop at first look seems to be pretty good stuff. We'll see how it wears over time. Fit and finish seem pretty good... and did I mention the pockets? :roof:

The pants have your basic BDU type pockets, two front, two back with button flap, and two thigh cargo pockets. They also have the "butt patch" reinforcement. That's about where the similarities to BDU's end.

In addition, there are calf pockets, outside on each leg, just below the knee. They're gusseted and will hold a PDA or other similar sized rectangular object easily. And finally, there are some front-front pockets. These are a little hard to describe, but they're basically two horizontal slits 3"-4" below and centered on the front-most belt loops. The slits lead to a flat pocket that's about 4" x 6". The pocket will easily hold a cell phone, but I won't put anything much bigger in them for my personal comfort sitting down (YMMV of course) as the pockets lay right on the fold where my tummy meets my leg. All the pockets have Velcro closures. I haven't decided entirely yet if the Velcro is a bug or a feature. It's much quicker access and easier to use than buttons, and as long as the flaps lie back down where they are supposed to, they're auto-closing. The price for this convenience is the noise of the velcro whenever you want to get to something - which should be kept in mind if you're going to be doing a lot of quiet/covert stuff.

Besides the number of pockets and layout, there are a couple other nifty additions. The cargo pockets have built-in organizer slots. On the leg side of the pocket are 3 slots, the outer two flat and the center gusseted to hold something larger. I don't have one to try, but it feels like you could probably slip a D sized maglight in there. The pocket flap isn't stitched to the leg in the center corresponding to this slot, allowing you to slip something longer than the pocket (again, like a maglight) in there and it would be held fairly securely. Also, there are a couple of D-rings sewn into nylon webbing inside each pocket and near the sides. The webbing is a couple inches long, ensuring the D-ring stays in the pocket. If you like McGizmo clips as I do, these are a great place to clip small tools onto. I've moved all my beltloop tools into my cargo pockets now, doing away with the Batman-effect entirely. ;D The clips-on-D-rings method keeps the tool secure and right where I know it will be for quick, dependable access. The great part is that they are now completely obscured from view when I'm not using them, so I don't have to worry so much about shiny things in the dark backstage. The front belt loops also have D-rings sewn in. With their layout directly above the front pockets, you can clip a lanyard for a small flashlight to the D-ring for security, but have the light in the pocket when you're not using it.

The pants are cut pretty roomy. I'm 6'0" and weigh about 240, so I'm a fairly big boy. The waist and inseam sizes seem to be right on. I'm no chicken-leg, but there's ALL kinds of room through the thighs when standing. This also makes them comfy for sitting.

Finally, they have BDU style nylon ribbons in the bottom hems, gussets in the knees, reinforcements on the front pockets where a knife clip typically goes, a heavy duty YKK plastic zipper fly, and velcro waist tabs for adjustment.

Again - overall, I'm quite happy with them. When I ordered from LA Police Gear they were $24.99, and even with USPS Priority Mail shipping I got them for cheaper than I could get Tru-Spec plain BDU's at my surplus store.

Design note: There's a bit of a hub-bub regarding the design of the pants being ripped-off from TAD Gear. There certainly are similarities between the Operator Tactical Pants and TAD's Force 10's. I'll let lawyers deal with intellectual property issues, and frankly am not that worried about "honor" with regards to someone stealing ideas. People have been "borrowing designs" and taking samples of stuff over to China to be copied and sold cheaper for years and years. Bottom line for me is this: If my life depended on the pants, I'd probably pay $100 for first-rate, top-of-the-line pants. It doesn't, the pants fit my needs VERY well, and I'm happy to get them at a price I can actually afford - because I've got a family to raise and simply couldn't justify spending $100 on pants.

All that being said... let's leave the controversy out of this thread and focus on the LA Police Gear The Operator Tactical Pants for what they are (or aren't) please. :green:

2. korrnell

korrnell Banned

Awesome pants at an awesome price, very innovative design! I'm planning to buy a whole bunch and giving then out as X-mas presents! :roof:

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

This is interesting. kornell is using the same IP as a well known manufacturer.

4. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

A fellow on USN mentioned that he received these same pants, and (during the past week) has washed them over ten times to test them out. Didn't wear them. He reports that the stitching in several places is fraying and the button popped off, among other things.

Still........ they're $25.

5. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Yeah, I'm definitely buying a pair. For 25 bucks, hell's yes! The pant did not strike me as durable as Dickies and the rest.

I mean you can't complain about the nutritional value of 89 cent Microwaveable Swanson's Chicken Pot Pie if you love it.

6. thewayofthegun1

thewayofthegun1 Loaded Pockets

Ill probably pick up one to try them out. I almost got one of the TAD force 10s in OD but they didnt have my size. Still want to buy one in my size though.
    I got the TAD force 10 shorts this summer and they quickly became my favorite shorts. Extremely comfy. FWIW, the stitcing in the small pocket in the the large right side pocket came undone. So stitching does not only happen to come undone to 25 dollar pants but 75 dollar shorts too.

7. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

:iagree:
    This week a button of my 5.11 shirts came undone (bought this summer)

back on topic, they look cool, maybe a bit too tacticool for me. but I hesitate to buy a pair in my next LAPG order. (have to buy their 3-way laptop case)

8. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

<insert Butthead voice speaking reverently> A truer statement has never been spoken.

:laugh: :laugh:

9. Raceaddict

Raceaddict Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that review. I got the email from LAPG a week or two back, and also saw the Monkey do a review on them as well, and thought they looked interesting, but I don't need a pair right now so didn't bother placing an order. I probably will whenever I need some though.

10. mchlwise

mchlwise Loaded Pockets

:laugh: :iagree:

I've now worked in them a couple times, and washed them.

After washing, they seem to hold the color quite well. The fabric seems to be doing well also. Comparing it to my regular BDUs, the fabric of the Operator pants seems better. I'll only be able to tell over time, but so far it seems pretty good.

I had some time to examine the pants a little closer after wearing/using them. Some of the stitching would probably be considered "sloppy" by some in some parts - double stitched lines not quite lining up, etc. I burned off some of the little "tails" that are left from stitching, and based on how it burned I would guess the thread is cotton, not nylon or something that might wear a little better.

My impressions haven't changed much, though - If my life depended on my pants, I would probably spare no expense. It doesn't, these pants are pretty cool, and more than adequate for my needs.

Maybe the best endorsement of the pants is this: My wife saw mine and wants a pair for herself. :p

11. mchlwise

mchlwise Loaded Pockets

I decided I didn't like the little velcro tags on the small front front pockets, so I removed them.

Further testing of the thread = it's NOT pure cotton. Probably cotton poly. It burns, but melts first. This is a plus for durability.

So far so good.

:cool:

12. tookie

tookie Loaded Pockets

Hows the shipping to you guys? Being in Hawaii sucks :D Sometimes hehehe.

Is the fit true to size? Was thinking of getting it either my current size or one larger, since it has the velcro tabs to shrink it that may make everything easier and more comfortable.

13. mchlwise

mchlwise Loaded Pockets

I ordered them the same size as some Dockers I have, and they fit the same as far as waist an inseam go. The legs are a lot roomier than the Dockers, but as far as sizing it seems to be right on.

I would say one size bigger is probably a good idea. I got my size exactly because I'm hoping to lose some weight. :slap:

14. sonderdienste

sonderdienste Loaded Pockets

Which size do I order if my ACU pants are Medium Regular?

:shrug:

15. Bradlee

Bradlee Empty Pockets

:iagree: After wearing them for a few days I'm absolutely loving these pockets. I can slip a 2x123a light in one of the large pocket organizing slots and totally forget it's there. Finally I can carry my U2 comfortably! It's almost surreal to be able to carry so much stuff and still have empty pockets left over :D

16. carl1000

carl1000 Empty Pockets

I normally wear 38-40 waist...I ordered 40's. Well...I need to send them back for 42's for sure. Order a size up!

17. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Just got my pants today. They fit fine. Exactly how I ordered them. Love them. Especially the D rings in the leg pockeds.

18. Elduke

Elduke Empty Pockets

Thank you for the detailed review of the LAPG Tactical Pants I was looking at purchasing a pair. O0 Now I just need a few tactical shirts. :shocked:

19. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

MAN!! I got burned. I ordered one size up to keep myself from looking like MC Hammer and I should have ordered TWO sizes up. :rant:

How's their exchange policy?!

20. Elduke

Elduke Empty Pockets

El Verbo are they too tight even though you ordered one size bigger? I don't have any problems with 5.11s since their size chart is accurate I am a bit worried now.