1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kydex Custom Work

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Fish Stixx, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Fish Stixx

Fish Stixx Loaded Pockets

Gday Fellas!
    Been thinking about making some of my own custom Kydex holsters sheaths and the likes here for a good while, seen alot of nice work that people of done and decided its about time I throw my hand in!

Mainly I am wanting to make a duel Leatherman Wave and Angelfire (much like a surefire) flashlight Belt holster. Possibly redesign my Ka-bar 1477 sheath, but never attempting this before I thought I would turn to some of the pro's here on the forums.

Anyone have any suggestions on brands for the materials or little tricks that have learned along the way?

Solemn promise no matter the outcome good or bad, pictures will be posted hehe

Thanks for the help fellas

God be with you.

2. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

Good thread. I am a leather bender but I have been thinking about making some kydex.

Any help in this area would be awesome.

3. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Mr Griffin Hawks is rather accomplished at these things - he may be the man to ask :)

4. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

i've always wondered about how to get into it. i've seen videos of guys doing it with toaster ovens

5. inmypocket

inmypocket Empty Pockets

I do mine with a toaster oven and a heat gun. There are tons of video on youtube and most are pretty good. Best advice I got is gather your toys and tools buy some kydex and rivits and rivit sitter or chicago screws... Build a press to hole the kydex and your knife gun or other item in with padding that is heat resistant(I used a walmart sleep pad from the camping dept. for a long time)Cook the kydex with you toaster or heat gun till it bends easy and wrap it around something...and put it in the press then after 10 min I have started timing it if not I pull it to soon everytime...pull it out mark your rivit points and drill and add rivits...it really is a simple process...the hard part is seeing the final outcome before you start....draw it out before you cut the kydex on paper a couple of times...

6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

One thing about kydex is if you screw up or don't like how it turned out you can reheat and it will go back flat again! Just don't over heat it as it will mess up the finish of the kydex. Also you can use the heatgun to fine tune what ever you make so it fits or looks better.

7. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

Taught myself how to use kydex from youtube videos, not really too difficult once you get a routine down.

8. Fish Stixx

Fish Stixx Loaded Pockets

Awesome Ill hop on over to youtube and see what they got! Got a picture of the finished product in my head hehe but well see out it turns out!

God be with you.

Fish