1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Kwispelhond's own little corner on the big interwebz

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by kwispelhond, Oct 8, 2015.

1. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

Being here on this forum is also very good for my photographic skills, it makes me try different things and so just to get the right shot. Perfect is still a long way off but maybe I need to invest in a better camera for that. this was first without flash, with flash and with a paper towel to diffuse the flash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

microbe, On Edge, Nekolf and 15 others like this.
  2. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

New camera is always nice I think ;) Had my mind set on getting a new camara set this year. But then I got into buying knives, flashlights, some camping gear... and there goes the budget!

I do have an older DSLR with a prime macro lens and some alround zooms. But most of the pictures I take nowadays are with my phone. Before putting them up here I do tweak a bit. Exposure, contrast, color and sharpness. Well yes sometimes even use a bit of artistic filtering or editing. And all I use is an online photo editing site. If your interested have a look at 'ribbet.com' that's what I'm using.

Just this weekend I received a newletter from Kamera Express. They had a special on one of those table top 'studios'. A 'box' with two lights and a mini tripod. Still regret it a bit not getting one. You must know by now, my wish list is very extensive... ;)

Just keep on trying! I see you know what you'r doing and I know there is some info around here. And you have some flashlights laying around, don't you? Try using them instead of the flash. Can give nice lightning effects.

Nekolf, Vesp, MarriedTheMedic and 6 others like this.
  3. kwispelhond

Here's one I used a flashlight instead off flash: Gives a nice "spooky" atmosphere too the picture and shows the actual wear on my stuff much better. (I really get bored seeing brand-new obviously unused super expensive knives and other stuff presented as "my EDC", come on: show us what you use and not what you got!)

[​IMG]

So, even wrong can be fun, this one with- and without flash. Both are not what I saw but still both usable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

microbe, On Edge, Nekolf and 15 others like this.
  4. kwispelhond

Picture of the Fender in it's case, even put up the "ashtray" for the picture but never have that on there while playing. For the uninitiated under us, the ashtray is the shiny metal cap over the bridge and that's the point where the strings end on the body-side:

[​IMG]

On Edge, Nekolf, Vesp and 13 others like this.
  5. kwispelhond

And the two Gibson Les Paul's, a Standard and a Special DC:

[​IMG]

On Edge, Nekolf, Vesp and 13 others like this.
  6. kwispelhond

First try at some "tint" pictures, well you see something but at such different lumen its hard to get the comparison right:

[​IMG]

On Edge, Nekolf, Vesp and 15 others like this.
  7. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

Don't remember precisely who it was, but someone recently posted a photo shot near their TV monitor, using the emitted light exclusively-- very creative.

One thing I've been playing with more lately is experimenting with the effect of other images reflected off your subject. (There's a Vic Solo on page 8 of my thread, and an Ontario Rat on page 10.) I'm new to this art, as well--I have no special lights, and I'm using a point and shoot that I bought at Wally World. Just keep messing around--the thrill of stumbling upon an arrangement that works is an experience not to be missed! ;)

8. kwispelhond

This is a oddity in my guitar collection, it's a Morris Jazz Bass imitation bought new in 1975 and made in Japan. Despite being not expensive it's actually a very good instrument and helped me on from beginner to a real bass-player. Later I bought the original Fender Jazz Bass but that one wasn't the best they ever made so it was hardly better than the Morris. Sold off the Fender long ago and some other bass guitars later, I was just not playing bass that often anymore so didn't need that many but this old thing stayed for more than just sentimental reasons.
    [​IMG]
    Btw, originally all of those bass guitars came loaded with all kind of junk, I just screwed everything unnecessary off and used it plain and simple. For this picture I put most back, just missing a little "finger support" that would be over the holes in the middle of the scratch-plate as I couldn't find it.
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn, On Edge, Nekolf and 10 others like this.
  9. kwispelhond

These two would be fine to show people the difference between CW and NW. First one: Olight S15, second one: DQG Tiny AA (4250k 4A light-color).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn, microbe, On Edge and 14 others like this.
  10. kwispelhond

Also a new pocket dump, lighted with the DQG and only real change is one of my old Seiko's (I have 4 of them). Need to get me a nicer wrist-strap for this one and I'll wear it some more.

[​IMG]

Btw: someone any tips on how to get scratches out of the glass of these older watches?

Last edited by kwispelhond, Nov 18, 2015
    ManVsLawn, On Edge, Nekolf and 13 others like this.
  11. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

There are a couple of old threads on the subject--but in a nutshell, if the crystal is acrylic, you can probably use toothpaste as an abrasive. (I've done that with reasonably good results.) On the other hand, if the crystal is mineral in nature, you'll want to use a dedicated abrasive. The depth of the scratches is also a factor.

ManVsLawn, Nekolf, sliverhawk and 3 others like this.
  12. kwispelhond

I have really no idea what kind of glass they are, would you know any way to find out?

13. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

You'll want to consult someone with more expertise. Hey madlag Can you help out? ^^

14. madlag

madlag Banned

I'm almost certain that would be acrylic plastic on that one. If you tap it does it feel like plastic, or is it hard like glass?

Assuming it's plastic acrylic you can do as suggested and polish it with fine polish (auto polish works great see any of the 3M line). Do not use wax....take your time you won't mess it up so don't be afraid to really work it. The plastic buffs out like news and looks great till you scratch it up again. In those days they didn't use sapphire unfortunately. If it's glass, there really isn't much you can do other than replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. kwispelhond

I've got one from the 70's (the one in the picture) and one from the 80's. Both have somewhat of a dome and feel the same, I guess it's safe to assume that they are acrylic. The one from 2005 has a flat glass that looks thicker and is completely unscratched after 10 years of wear (heavy) so that one will be Sapphire. The 4th one is a gold watch, it's been worn a lot less because the gold is pretty soft so that glass is still good.

Thanks for the advice, I've got some car-polish ready so give it a try, I like to have the old stuff looking good and they still run like.. ehh... a clock.

ManVsLawn, Nekolf, Patrick87 and 4 others like this.
  16. madlag

madlag Banned

Let us know how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

[quote="kwispelhond, post: 2464261, member: 67852"

Btw: someone any tips on how to get scratches out of the glass of these older watches?[/quote]

Maybe exchanging the glass would be an option?

How about contacting this guy on 'monsterwatches', just Google it. Never done business with him, but has some interesting things on his site.

18. kwispelhond

Not one but even two mailcall's today :) :

First one is fast, 8 days from China!! It's a cheap multimeter. Nothing special but it works and is good enough to check the condition of my batteries and some other simple tasks I got for it so it's good enough for me, don't need to calibrate stuff and so.

lately I used one that was actually a loaner so it's owner needed it himself so I had to spend this 8 euro. The loaner gave me readings always 0.03 lower than my D2 charger and this one gives the same readings as the other one so 4.2v on the charger is 4.17v on both multimeters. So I'm beginning to think that Nitecore likes to play save and built some margin in their charger, not that I mind: rather some lower than too high!

Second one took the detour, 21 days from China :smoke: . It's a headband to make headlights out of my flashlights, it was branded as Convoy but there's no brand anywhere on it.

It's a simple 3-way headband with elastic loops that should handle flashlights from 18mm up to 25mm so should work with my AA lights up to my 18650 lights. I do not get the function of the loops on both sides as they always make the light shine forward at best but actually rather a bit up so these are rather useless but the top-loops are actually fine, you can vary from right at your hands close to your belly to as high and far as you'd want just by sliding the loops forward and backward.

So what do I think of it? It's a little tight for me but I have a pretty big head so will probably fit most just fine. I don't like headlights and hate heavy headlights so will probably use my AA lights most and these seem to work fine this way so my first impression is pretty positive, after I've done some actual camping and other tasks that require 2 hands I'll probably can give a better motivated opinion but for now I think this just over 3 euros well spent.

[​IMG]

Last edited by kwispelhond, Nov 24, 2015
  19. kwispelhond

And yet another mailcall, I'm on a roll with the cheap Chinese stuff, this one was ordered the 13th and shipped the 14th so 12 days is not a record but still pretty good:

[​IMG]

So the Qanliiy 10x18 came in and what do I think of it? Well, I'm not really sure yet, it does magnify and is even usable for macro/close up stuff. It does so with surprisingly clear vision and only very little distortion even up to the sides of the lens. Furthermore it's very small and light so would be easy to carry.

That was the good stuff, now before I tell more remember that this is a very cheap thingy and I was used carrying something about 20x more expensive. So what I don't like: first off the view is very small, expected at 10x18 and compared too 7x42 but actually so small that I'll need to use it some to see if it's still practical. Second it's built as a gadget with cheap plastic parts with plastic screw-threads and no sealing at all so will probably not even survive one use on a rainy day and fog up with most outdoor use anyway. Third point of dislike is the eyepiece, it's made of hard plastic and has nothing to keep your eye at the right distance, usable for people whom wear glasses but I don't so need to use my hand for that but holding it like that I can't use it single-handed.

I know, for the price I shouldn't expect much and I'll use it some to see if its usable but right now it screams "gadget" to me.

Last edited by kwispelhond, Nov 26, 2015
  20. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looks like I haven't visited your thread in a while :rolleyes:

Good to see you do own another knife besides them SAKs, haha

Beamshot looks good too [​IMG]

The main reason I like these cheap monoculars so much is the size and weight, anything larger and I'll likely leave it at home and have nothing when I need it. This one just lives in my bag in the summer and in my jacket in winter time so I'll always have it with me. To me that makes it pretty much unbeatable, although the small size and light weight do mean some compromises of course.

It might be plastic on the Qanliiy but it's not too fragile, my first one took quite a beating but it still functions as new. I'd say try it out for a while and if you still don't like it I'd be happy to take it off your hands for what you paid for it. I really dig mine so I wouldn't mind having a back-up in case I loose it.