1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Know anything about SOG knives?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Urban Hermit, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I was looking at a SOG Fixation Bowie at Walmart the other day. I haven't heard much about these knives, but liked the look of it. Anyone own one? Was also looking at the SOG 13" machete. The walmart prices are really good compared to the prices on the SOG website.

2. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I can only speak for their folders and multitoola, which are great. Of the blades are made in Taiwan, with the multitools being made in the US. Amazon has great prices on most of them, check them out.

3. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

sog products are made of very good quality...specially considering the price. i would reccommed thier products to anyone folders/fixed blades multi-tools and machete's there real good workhorse's

4. KJlost

KJlost Loaded Pockets

I had a SOG Fixation Bowie.

The blade broke off the handle after normal, minimal stress. I've also heard similar cases from other people too. Don't buy it if you intend to actually put it to use.

5. 177itch

177itch Loaded Pockets

all i know is, dont buy an access card! those things are doo-doo!

6. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

The fixation is their budget model, so quality isn't up to par with their usual stuff.

7. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Yeah..I've seen a couple other review posts saying similar things. Starting to sound like if I just want a cheap but rugged little knife for my bag, something like the gerber profile might be better. a cheap knife I won't be too upset about should I lose it, but will do the job if I need it.

8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I've got one of the original Pentagons and love it.

9. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I forgot to add the SEAL series is GtG. I use an elite as a dive knife.

If I remember correction, the fixation is one of the "bargain" ones they did, which are made in China, not Taiwan (and you can tell). All of their "fusion" series is.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have a handful of SOG products, and love them all. Quality pieces.

But their budget Fusion line isn't worth it. And, it's harming the good reputation SOG enjoys for quality products.

11. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

i have a gerber profile i would reccomend it! nice cheap full tang fixed blade for 20 bucks at any wally!

12. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Loaded Pockets

I have a Pentagon Elite and Trident
    Tanto.

13. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have a SOG Tigershark - one of the older models, a Spec-Elite II, and a Fasthawk, which I think is in SOG's Fusion line. The Tigershark, while a very large knife, would be useless in anything other that a fight in my opinion. The Spec-Elite, also a very large knife in a folder - would also be useless in anything other than a fight - and feels a little on the flimsy side. The Fasthawk, though, is a different matter. I have found it to be very useful as a camp axe and to be of good quality. Any bowie style knife or, for that matter, any knife in which the blade transfers from a full blade to a narrow tang, has a weakness at the point of transition. Full tang knives are the ones to go with for strength, especially for tasks like batoning wood.

14. 01xtreme

01xtreme Loaded Pockets

I had a friend give me a SOG twitch II, and honestly it's a nice little blade. Nice and sharp right out of the packaging, very compact, flat ground blade. Overall it's a nice knife. This is my only experience with the SOG knives though. Can't comment on their multitools or bowies.

15. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

At one time I was a SOG fan. Decent quality knives, fair price.
    Last few years, not so much.
    The Fusion line does nothing but drag their brand quality down, and lately they have taken to blatantly copying the designs of knives from other companies (See 'zilla, among others).

Their older knives were pretty good. I doubt I buy anything from them ever again.

16. nosaj03

nosaj03 Empty Pockets

I have a sog flash 2 non arc lock. It's an ok knife. Super fast deployment and extremely sharp blade. I never carry it as I intended to which is a shame. The bayonet clip is the best part because it fits low in the pocket. I'm probably going to sell it.

17. ZippoVarga

ZippoVarga Loaded Pockets

Perhaps if SOG would take direction from Spyderco and intentionally create a sub-brand intended to fit the economy market (byrd), then SOG can still retain their high ends and make the low ends with out tainting their rep. I have all three in the Twitch series and currently the XL is my daily folder carry. As far as a stout and affordable fixed blade, why not check out Cold Steel? I've watched some brutal abuse on many of their folders and fixed blades that I would Never be able to equal in normal daily use. Don't get me wrong...I love my SOGs, but realistically......if you're looking at Wal Mart, then price is a factor. And since price is a factor, I believe you can get the best bang for your buck with a Cold Steel fixed blade or even a large folder. Cold Steel also has hatchets, Axes, Machetes, Bowie Knives. Check their web sight, then go to Amazon and load up! IMO only of course.

18. lusid

lusid Empty Pockets

I own the flash 1 variant and the knife is very sharp out of the box and is a great edc. Very light, nice pocket clip, and the deploy is assisted which is also a bonus.

19. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Loaded Pockets

One advantage of SOG: Lifetime Warranty.

Cold steel does not have a lifetime warranty. However, all knives have full tang blades (the ones I ever considered).

[​IMG]

I own 2 Cold Steel Tanto's and 2 SOGs.

[​IMG]

20. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

All I know is that there are a whole bunch of new SOG models that are essentially cheap clones of other well-known brands. I no longer have any interest in giving them my money. I suggest you consider the same.